Ubuntu help please

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
UrBaN

Ubuntu help please

Post by UrBaN »

Hey guys,

This is probably supern00b :oops:! I need some Ubuntu help..

Running Ubuntu Ultimate Gamers Edition (that cam with PCF). It has been booting fine, but I was recently playing around with basic settings (desktop image, login screen etc) and it now boots to a linux dos prompt. I can login with my normal credentials, which then gives me a proper prompt, but it doesn't boot into the OS.

I tried "login" but it says I need to run "login" from the lowest level "sh"...no idea what that is or how to get to it.

Help? Please?
to ápeiro anima
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

UrBan wrote: and it now boots to a linux dos prompt
Whats a "linux dos" prompt? :D Just kidding......

Sounds like you have messed up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If you're using envy, it will back up the old version each time you overwrite the current one. Recover it by overwritting the current (messed up) version with one of the recent backups created by envy.

If you dont have a backup, check out this thread. Might help you.

Good luck
Last edited by AlphA on 31 May 2008, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

If it's not what Alpha said, check your runlevel. You may find that you're in runlevel 3 instead of runlevel 5.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Thanks guys...wasn't using envy and wasn't playing with xorg...was simply changes, nothing serious at all.

How do I change the run level? :oops:
to ápeiro anima
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

UrBaN wrote:Thanks guys...wasn't using envy and wasn't playing with xorg...was simply changes, nothing serious at all.
If you make screen config changes, it will update xorg.conf. I only mentioned envy as I know envy backs up your previous xorg.conf.

Check if there are any backups of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If so, overwrite the current xorg.conf with the most recent backup.

If you dont have a backup, check the link I posted above. I doubt its a runlevel issue at this point, especially since you were playing around with screen settings.
FireFlyComputerSystems

Post by FireFlyComputerSystems »

I believe the default runlevel in ubuntu can be changed in the /etc/inittab file.

if you look for a line that resembles:

id:2:initdefault:

you can change the 2 to the default run-level you want. The system will boot to this runlevel by default.

If you want to change the runlevel while in the running OS. You do

root@localhost# init [x]

for example if you want to change to single usermode or runlevel 1 you go:

root@localhost# init 1

I think the X11 runlevel is 5 so doing a init 5 will put you in gui mode.