Flash animation

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
CesarePlay

Flash animation

Post by CesarePlay »

Hi everyone. I got an idea for my website but I need some help with it. I want to have an empty button that moves around a certain area and there are about 5 of these buttons. They then go to an area then go behind the others and go back to the start in a random place.

When a user clicks one of these empty button a picture appears with text in it for the relevant page. You click on it and a roll over state appears. Once clicked you go to that page.

Linking is not a problem for m but I am unsure how to do animation like this.

Can anyone help or give link to an appropriate site. I tried google but not finding something like this. I have flash mx 2004.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Random positioning and link in the same sentence is a nightmare.

Due to flash using layers you will always run the risk of overlaying a lower z-depth with a higher one. Random is random so this happens quite a bit.

I actually build something like this a while back. I gave up on it after 8 hours of fighting with the positions.

Apart from random positioning you also need to calculate collision detection and act on it. That and proximity of the objects and then x and y pad them to the correct positions. Its crazy I tell you :D
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

maxxis wrote:Random positioning and link in the same sentence is a nightmare.

Due to flash using layers you will always run the risk of overlaying a lower z-depth with a higher one. Random is random so this happens quite a bit.

I actually build something like this a while back. I gave up on it after 8 hours of fighting with the positions.

Apart from random positioning you also need to calculate collision detection and act on it. That and proximity of the objects and then x and y pad them to the correct positions. Its crazy I tell you :D
Ok. I stick to normal buttons then because I wanted that effect for my dads website. I will try it in my spare time to see. I did find random code etc but not the collision. Making the button shrink a little is easier.

What about a page coming up with a corner x to close?

Something like this:

Example of what I hoped to achieve with new pages
lui007

Post by lui007 »

CesarePlay

Newer versions of Flash would do you better but Flash MX will do if you learn some extra scripting.

I suggest learning Flash ActionScript 2.0 (Not AS 3 - Thats overkill and not quite what you need)

I've done similar work to the example you showed above and it can be tricky. Will have to dig out my Code somewhere... If after reading below you still want it let me know.

Two tips :
1:
Sit down and write down WHY you really want to have such a navigation system. It looks cool and all, but is the wow factor worth it? Especially for SA bandwidth. Most people won't wait for the loading.
Another thing: although recent versions of flash is more search engine friendly (by allowing you to add the text in a flash site to meta tags etc), It still doesn't show up as well in search engine searches.

2:
movie clips, movie clips, movie clips, everything should be movieclips (this way its easy to make it have different states and can be easily referenced, even the z position can be brought to the top

Try to get yourself Linda.com Flash action script training videos. They are the best.

Working as a Flash developer is a tricky business, and usually its better to be stringent on the project requirements phase (and bring the site back to earth and in line with what the GOAL is)

If you do decide to do the random layer, random position thing, some help can come from:
http://polygeek.com/355_actionscript_pr ... y-position

Once you know AS 2.0 don't bother with any other tutorials, as they won't work anymore.

Best of luck. If you do get sometime up and running let me know. love to look at random sites.
The internet is like a box of chocolates...
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

Hi. Thanks. I will check out that website. I will let you know if I get something up and running.