Waturbo CPU COOLER

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!

Watcha Think

Good Idea
19%
Bad Idea
81%

Total votes: 16

rm5d

Waturbo CPU COOLER

Post by rm5d »

New from Mantech.

R 597, excl VAT
(Introductory offer)

http://www.mantech.co.za/

Maybe someone might be interested - Thanks
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

In all honesty, I think this is rubbish :\ I don't see the logic.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

:lol: All I can say is interesting. Got any vital stats like energy dicipation / minute or something like that :?:

Also rm5d I see you don't have alot of post. Welcome to the forum.

I34z1k wrote:In all honesty, I think this is rubbish :\ I don't see the logic.
You never see any logic. I have something to say from a Jeff Dunham show but it would not do it justice to simply post it on the forum.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I usually see the logic. Let's not get personal about this k :) act like a moderator ;)
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I34z1k wrote:I usually see the logic. Let's not get personal about this k :) act like a moderator ;)
:lol:
Actually I think there is logic to it. May appeal to some obscure and minute crowd of really tiny budget people that wants water cooling but can really not afford it.
:lol:

But then again that is why I asked for more stats as a new and innovative idea is nothing if it can not prove statistically that it is worth it. If this thing does not at least provide better heat dicipation than any air cooling units you can find then it is a total lost case. Otherwise there might be some obscure piece of the market they might get a hold on.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I still don't see any REAL logic to it...

The only thing that the water should do is even out the temps as it can hold a better load, but even so, it'll only cool as quickly as a air cooler, and a crap one at that.

Any other educated opinions or is it only mine?
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Yes, I think it's retarded. That is NOT watercooling. Same idea as Vapochill had with their micro, and guess what. It fail'd.

I mean, to start with, check that pathetic copper base. And if you strap a quad core onto that there's not a chance in hell that the water will be cooled down faster than it heats up.

I'm sure my Thermalright will outperform it by a large factor..

END!
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Exactly what I am thinking. Just want some more stats on it though.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

HmmZ, a rather interesting design and concept IMO :P
I somehow doubt that it will take off.
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I could see something similar working if it used copper heat pipes etc.

Someone remind me tomorrow and i'll sketch my idea

EDIT: I see one problem with that: corrosion
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

:lol: Only 2 votes :lol:
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I see the logic. it's not made to replace water cooling but to make quiet efficient air cooling for media computers.
I think it can work and you never know, in a couple years this may become efficient enough to replace regular HSFs.

I like the idea of a PC that uses heat to generate air flow. It makes sense in every way.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Frozenfireside wrote:I see the logic. it's not made to replace water cooling but to make quiet efficient air cooling for media computers.
I think it can work and you never know, in a couple years this may become efficient enough to replace regular HSFs.

I like the idea of a PC that uses heat to generate air flow. It makes sense in every way.
It doesnt use heat to create airflow though... it uses a fan to move air and spin the turbine in the water
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Natural Convecion. Now where has that been tried before :?:
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Frozenfireside wrote:I see the logic. it's not made to replace water cooling but to make quiet efficient air cooling for media computers.

'

That's all very good, but you are seen on the same level as StoneIce by many so your logic is skewed :)
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Monty wrote:

It doesnt use heat to create airflow though... it uses a fan to move air and spin the turbine in the water
True be that, 3PIN power connector. Sais so there on the spech sheet.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Skidd
Permanently Banned

Post by Skidd »

Seriously, this is a BAD IDEA!!!

HTF could this be better than having a solid copper core or heatpipes?
Skidd
Permanently Banned

Post by Skidd »

This is a glorified pressure cooker LOL!

The only way it could do any good is if the water was passed through the fins some how.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Skidd wrote:Seriously, this is a BAD IDEA!!!

HTF could this be better than having a solid copper core or heatpipes?
+1

The only way this could be an option is if the liquid had better thermal conductive properties than copper
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

It will keep the CPU cool for about 2 minutes, until the water in the reserve heats up. Bad idea. Would be interesting to see (or lol @) benches.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
rm5d

Waturbo

Post by rm5d »

Additional info.

SUNON LIQUID CIRCULATION COOLING (LCC) SYSTEM

Within the past two to three years, the personal computer market has seen the introduction and usage of liquid cooling for both desktop and notebook applications. Some mainstream examples of this cooling technology can be found in the systems of Apple and NEC on the desktop side as well as Hitachi on the notebook side.The need for this kind of cooling technology is being driven by the thermal challenges that are associated with ever increasing processor speeds. As CPUs and associated electronics become faster, and hotter, the ability to dissipate this heat with conventional air cooling devices is becoming increasingly difficult. Even when the heat can be removed with active air cooling devices, the price that must be paid with noisier acoustics (due to the high fan speeds required) is often unacceptable to both the system designer and the product end user.With increased thermal efficiency provided by a liquid heat transfer medium, liquid circulation cooling does offer significant cooling advantages over conventional air cooling. Presently, however, there are still several key limitations of liquid cooling that have prevented its widespread adoption by the majority of the mainstream desktop and notebook computer makers. Two of these limitations are as follow:1. Cost: The structure of the traditional liquid cooling system is shown in Fig. 1. Required components include a pump, heat exchanger, radiator, fan, reserve tank, and some form of conduit (typically a rubber tube) to connect all of these parts. All of this additional equipment can result in an 8X to 10X increase in the costs of the system’s cooling system (when compared to conventional air cooling). 2. Leakage: All of the above components must be connected to each other with a rubber tube, resulting in a minimum of 8 connection joints. That means that the cooling fluid (typically water) that runs through this system has a minimum of 8 different locations where a leak is possible, not to mention the possibility of leaks occurring somewhere in the tubing itself. The fear of water leakage in the computer is enough to prevent some users/designers from adopting this technology. The greater cost of the system, coupled with the higher risk of a system failure due to leakage, are significant factors that can mitigate the thermal advantages of liquid cooling.In an attempt to bring to the mainstream market the thermal advantages offered by liquid cooling, while addressing the above limitations, Sunon has developed a unique Liquid Circulation Cooling System, under the brand name Waturbo™.The structure of the Sunon Waturbo (TM) liquid circulation cooling system is demonstrated by Fig. 2. The five key components of the traditional liquid cooling system are still represented: a pump, heat exchanger, radiator, fan, and reserve tank. In the Sunon Waturbo system, however, four of those components (everything but the fan) are packaged in a single, sealed liquid-holding radiator device. This radiator device is sandwiched between the fan (the active cooler, which also drives the pump) and the CPU (the heat generating device in the system). What is missing is all of the rubber tubing that connects the different components in the traditional liquid cooling system. By eliminating the rubber tubing, and all of the connection joints with the different components, the risk of leakage has been drastically reduced. The only possible sources for leakage now are the top and bottom of the radiator device, which interface with the fan and CPU respectively. These two junction points are more easily sealing with the use of standard O-Rings.The Sunon Waturbo system works as follows:The exterior fan (item 4) drives the interior pump (item 1) which circulates the cooling water inside the sealed liquid reserve tank (item 5). This circulating water allows the heat exchanger (item 2) at the bottom of the reserve tank to efficiently remove the heat from the CPU. The corresponding temperature increase of the cooling water is dissipated to the outside through the radiator fins (item 3).The fact that the Sunon Waturbo system uses the fan motor to drive the liquid pump is significant. This dual-action of the fan motor eliminates the need for a separate motor to drive the pump, as is used with the traditional liquid cooling system. On the Sunon Waturbo, the driving torque of the fan impeller is transmitted to the liquid pump through a magnetic coupling. This means that no pump motor or other electronic parts are required in the cooling water. All of this results in a lower risk and lower costs of the Sunon Waturbo system, when compared to the traditional liquid cooling system. In a conventional air cooling system, the distance between the heat source (CPU) and the heat dissipater (radiator fin) is critical. In practice, a fin that is located at a further distance from the CPU heat source will have a lower fin temperature, resulting in a less efficient thermal system design. In contrast, the Sunon Waturbo system utilizes forced liquid convection to transfer the CPU heat to the radiator fin. Therefore, there is no significant distance effect between CPU and radiator fin and it is possible to keep the fin temperatures stable and obtain an overall increase in thermal efficiency.Sunon has currently developed and tested the Waturbo technology in desktop computer liquid cooling systems. Similar Waturbo applications are currently under development for both notebook and server applications. Figure 3 shows a comparison of test data between a desktop computer that uses a conventional air cooling system and the same computer as cooled by the Sunon Waturbo cooling system. The data measured in this test include CPU temperature (in deg. C) and system acoustic noise (in dBA). Not surprisingly, the Sunon Waturbo liquid circulation cooling system results in a lower CPU temperature than was provided by the original air cooling system. Perhaps of even greater significance, this improved cooling performance was also associated with an overall decrease in system acoustic noise. This is due to the fact that the improved cooling efficiency and performance of the Sunon Waturbo system allows the active fan to run at a lower speed, thereby lowering the associated fan speed acoustic noise. This has particular advantages in the consumer computer industry where acoustic noise performance has become a major problem as conventional air coolers are required to run at such high speeds.

List of Figures:

Fig. 1: Traditional Liquid Cooling System

Fig. 2: Sunon Waturbo Liquid Circulation Cooling (LCC) system

Fig. 3: Sunon Cooler vs. Original Cooler chart, temperature and acoustic comparison

View Waturbo Liquid Circulation Video
http://www.sunon.com.tw/waturbo/en_tc01406001.htm

REVIEW:http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.c ... cleID=2227
Last edited by rm5d on 27 May 2008, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Wow, that's minisculely quieter and barely cooler...

TR120UE?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

WiK1d wrote:END!
Lol, Driver makes an appearance at PCF!
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

WiK1d wrote:Same idea as Vapochill had with their micro, and guess what. It fail'd.
I have a Micro and it works well on my opty.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
senile

Post by senile »

Perhaps PCF should test one for their magazine to set the record straight

EDIT: Nevermind. Sunon just proved with their own stats that it's a failure.