Fatal System Error?

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Bobendren

Fatal System Error?

Post by Bobendren »

Hey guys,

I've been using Vista for a while now. This morning i turned on my PC and got a blue screen of death. It appears after the loading screen, just before the windows orb and welcome screen are supposed to load. This is the error:

"STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)
The Verification of a knownDLL failed"

I've tried the following to no avail:

Last known good configuration
Windows Repair
chkdsk /r

Safe mode doesn't work either.

Any ideas? I'm really not keen to reinstall.
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Well if you have tried all of the above already I would think your next & only option is to format

Probably be quicker than trying to beat Vista at its own game :wink:
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
ViReZ

Vista Recovery Console

Post by ViReZ »

Vista’s System Recovery Console

Give this a Try
First, Boot from your Vista installation CD.

Select your Vista Install from the list in “Windows Boot Manager”

· Microsoft Vista Setup (x86)

· Microsoft Vista Setup (x64)

Press enter.

You will then see “Windows is Loading Files”.

Next, the “Language Screen” will come up. Since you have already selected this option when you installed Vista, just click on “Next”.

Now you will see the “Vista Installation Screen”

DO NOT CHOOSE “Install Now”

Instead, towards the bottom left of the window you will see.

· “What to know before installing Windows”

· “Repair your Computer”

Choose and click on “Repair your Computer”

You will then come to the “System Recovery Options”. Choose “Microsoft Windows Vista” from the list. Then click “ Next”.

You will now have the option to choose which “Recovery Tools” you wish to use.

This list provides details to the five tools that can help you repair your Vista installation. These tools are:

1. “Startup Repair”

Automatically fix problems that are preventing Windows from starting:

Startup Repair is an automated repair process that scans your Vista installation for problems and attempts to automatically fix them. When you select to repair Vista from the Vista setup screen, and Vista detects problems, this process will be started automatically. You can cancel this process at any time to access the other repair tools described below. The Startup Repair process has already been introduced above when we discussed performing an automated repair.

2. “System Restore”

Restore Windows to an earlier point in time:

System Restore allows you to restore your computer's configuration, driver information, and programs to a previous state while leaving your existing data intact. Using this option can typically fix a installation's problem if it is not associated with faulty hardware. In order to use this option, you must have had System Restore enabled in Vista so that there are restore points available to restore to.

3. “Windows Complete PC Restore”

Restore your entire computer from a backup:

Complete PC Restore is a feature that allows you to restore your entire computing environment from a backup image that you created previously. The ability to create backup images for Complete PC Restore is only available in Windows Vista Business, Ultimate, and Enterprise. If you have tried all possible steps to repair your computer, and have a Complete PC Restore backup image available from when your computer was operating properly, then you can use this repair option to restore that image.

4. “Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool”

Check your computer for memory hardware errors:

Windows Vista comes with a diagnostic tool that allows you to check the memory installed in your computer for errors. This will allow you to determine if the actual memory (RAM) hardware installed in your computer is creating errors.

5. “Command Prompt”

Opens the Command Prompt window:

The Command Prompt repair tool allows you to open a command prompt that you can use to access the files and registry information on your computer. This is an invaluable tool for removing security threats such as worms, rootkits, and other malware from your computer and to be able to access files when Vista fails to boot up.

Command Prompts

To help get you started with using the Command Prompt. Here are listed a series of console commands that work in this environment. To get the help information for each of these programs you can type the program name followed by /h and press the enter key. For example, to see the help information for the copy command you would type copy /h and then press the enter key. As more programs and commands are found they will be added to the lists below. Each of the console commands must be typed into the console in order to execute them.

Console Command Description

Copy - Copy a file to another location.

Move - Move a file to another location.

Rd - Remove an empty directory.

Ren - Rename a file or directory.

More - Show the contents of a file one page a time. Typically used to read text/ascii files.

Type - Show the contents of a file all at once without pausing at each page like the more command. Typically used to read text/ascii files.

Xcopy - Copy a folder and all its contents to another location.

mkdir - Make a new directory.

Diskpart - Load the Windows disk management program. From this program you can create, delete, shrink, and expand your existing partitions as well as get information about partitions and hard drives.

Dir - List the contents of the current directory or the directory you specify as an argument.

Cd - Change your current directory to another one.

Attrib - Change the file attributes on a particular file or directory.

Del - Delete a file

Bcdedit - Displays and allows you to change how Windows boots up. This command is useful for people who are having trouble with the Windows Boot Manager.

Chkdsk - Scan your hard disk for errors and fix them.

Choose the above options that best fits your computer problems.

The first option (Startup Repair) will run automatically. And will fix or repair Vista’s MBR and check for any corrupt files and folders.

NOTE: This option will also remove any installed program(s) that could be causing Vista not to start, or run correctly.

Note: If you are running a RAID array, if this does not help and you are receiving errors. Check in your BIOS and make sure the BIOS did not convert back to IDE. Vista needs to see the complete MBR, In a RAID setup the MBR is split between two drives.
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

Thanks for the replies :)

Unfortunately startup repair fails to run properly, and wants to send microsoft some information about the problem :/

And i can't run system restore, coz i don't have any restore points. Do you have to create those manually? (when windows is working i mean) coz i don't remember disabling that.

Do you think there's any chance it might be hardware related? I've run memtest and a "quick scan" using western digitals hdd app, and didn't find any problems. I'll try the extended scan next, but it looks like i'll have to reformat anyway.
ViReZ

THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.

Post by ViReZ »

THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH.
Users of windows system are sure to have experienced, at one point or another, the terrors of “The Fatal Exception”, commonly called the "Blue Screen Of Death", or BSOD. Although the BSOD has largely been thrown onto the software slag heap, in Vista, crashes haven't been totally banished. When windows encounters a condition that compromises safe system operation (i.e. a “bug”), the system halts. This condition is called a 'bug check'. It is also commonly referred to as a system crash, a kernel error, a system fault, or a Stop error. When Windows encounters such a serious error that forces it to stop running, it displays a BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH or just 'lovingly' called BSOD !

In Vista, unlike XP, where the system was essentially manual, the Windows Error Reporting has been improved & streamlined. and improved in Windows Vista. One had to follow-up to see if a solution had become available. This was a rather painful process ! In Vista, this entire reporting and follow-up process is automated.
ViReZ

BSOD Cont...

Post by ViReZ »

The BSODs on the other hand were/are quite traumatic and frustrating, to say the least!
The exact text of a Stop error varies, according to what caused the error. But the format is standardized and is made up of 3 parts:

PART 1.
Symbolic error name: This is the Stop Error message that is given to the OS and corresponds to the Stop Error number that appears.

PART 2.
Troubleshooting recommendations: This text applies to all Stop Errors of that particular type.

PART 3.
Error number and parameters: Its the bugcheck information. The text following the word STOP includes the error number, in hexadecimal notation, and up to four parameters that are typical of this error type.

In general, there are not too many options for any type of recovery. normally, one tries to just "reboot" the pc in the hope that the BSOD occurred because of a rare condition of some driver which was overlooked in coding and testing. But if the BSOD persists, there are some tactics that may be employed to repair the system there are over 250 "documented" BSOD codes.
Take for example, the most common BSOD :

Bugcode 0xA - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
This is a fairly common BSOD that occurs when a driver has illegally accessed a memory location while NT is operating at a specific IRQL. This is a driver coding error, akin to trying to access an invalid memory location.
Parameters:
1 - memory location that was referenced
2 - IRQL at time of reference
3 - 0 == read, 1 == write
4 - code addressed which referenced memory
Recovery/Workaround:
There is none. This is a fatal error and is a driver coding error.
Zana

Post by Zana »

I dont have vista so dont know, and this would put me off it even further... well it can be named Vista fatality... reading through the above,,, quite a story.. i recomend printing it out just in case...
((^_^))
Microsoft is odd, like if you download EI, they plan a tree, well that seems to be a good thing they doing, but how do i know if the tree has been planted ? :?

:love1:
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

I know you were all stressing terribly about my problem, so just to let you know i formatted and reinstalled vista. Win has been restored (that's a pun)
sinosells

Re: Fatal System Error?

Post by sinosells »

Thank you for your discussion, I found the perfect answer, thank you very much..
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Re: Fatal System Error?

Post by Anthro »

Welcome sino, original post is a bit old - but glad you found the answer.
This why we keep old threads:)
Temporary Absence