Hate Ubuntu? It's normal!

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
shiv

Post by shiv »

Well I found this on DistroWatch:

========================

If you believe online forums and blogs, Ubuntu must be the most hated Linux distribution on earth. Not only is it funded by a millionaire space tourist and aggressive capitalist, it also exists (according to another Linux company's CEO) for the sole purpose of destroying all other distributions that exist on the market. It is reportedly a parasite that takes all the code from Debian without contributing much back and despite all its "software for humanity" talk, it keeps developing proprietary software solutions (e.g. Launchpad). Mark Shuttleworth's recent suggestion to synchronise distribution releases in order to coordinate bug-fixing work was greeted with a suspicion that he merely wants "to benefit from a lot of work that Novell and Red Hat are already doing in the enterprise space." So what makes people dislike and mistrust Ubuntu so much?

I don't think it's specifically Ubuntu that many people have a problem with. Throughout the history of our coverage of distributions here at DistroWatch, it was always the top one that some readers appeared to dislike most. If you've been around in the early parts of this decade, you might remember that Mandrake Linux went through similar pains - it kept getting a high number of reviews, but it also attracted more than its fair share of negativity on user forums. Interestingly, now that it acts from the position of an underdog, it has suddenly become the darling of the distro world, with excellent products and barely any criticism - but also hardly any reviews. It is the same as when a group of unbiased spectators watches a sporting contest between a clear favourite and an unfancied underdog - they will undoubtedly support the latter with all their might! It's the human nature.

The fact that many people dislike the top distribution is not really a problem. The problem is that many of these folks are extremely vocal on the Internet to express their opinions. While no intelligent reader will ever take them seriously, they do give the Linux community a bad name and discourage potential Linux users from joining us. Can anything be done about this? Not much, it seems. Until people start reading their own posts and realise that senseless negativity towards the most popular distribution is counter-productive, we will have to live with the unfortunate fact that the top dog will always be the most hated one too - at least in the more immature and destructive circles on the Internet.

===========================

I agree with the points raised in the article.

I don't hate Ubuntu, I just don't see what's so good about it really.
I just prefer PCLOS, since it does so much more out of the box and runs faster (when you consider the fact that you can order the Ubuntu CD for free, only to find it can't do the usual multimedia stuff - imagine poor nations having to download codecs...)

At the end of the day, what the user is satisfied with, counts.
Even if that happens to be Windows ;-)
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

I have to disagree completely there
I think Ubuntu is an awesome distro

I can agree on the not working out of the box though, I can imagine someone without an internet connection to be VERY limited to how they use Ubuntu
Since I have an internet connection, I have nothing to complain about
shiv

Post by shiv »

g0ldback wrote:I have to disagree completely there
I think Ubuntu is an awesome distro

I can agree on the not working out of the box though, I can imagine someone without an internet connection to be VERY limited to how they use Ubuntu
Since I have an internet connection, I have nothing to complain about
Yeah I agree, what I find cool is that there is automatic downloading of codecs.
Mow

Post by Mow »

I disagree completely . Ubunto is a Gui improvement of debian. It doesnt aim to be anything but that. A simple windows like OS. Other CEO's mention here are crying because they are losing support contracts to Ubunto.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Until people start reading their own posts and realise that senseless negativity towards the most popular distribution is counter-productive, we will have to live with the unfortunate fact that the top dog will always be the most hated one too - at least in the more immature and destructive circles on the Internet.
Basically sums up the entire article... Nothing more than playa-hating.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I'm with Jeff.

Out the box, it needs some work. I spend quite a while setting it up, but once it's set up.. omw it's incredibe.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
shiv

Post by shiv »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I'm with Jeff.

Out the box, it needs some work. I spend quite a while setting it up, but once it's set up.. omw it's incredibe.
...and you can remaster the installation on CD/DVD... :wink:

EDIT: Who's Jeff??
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Jeff = GB
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
shiv

Post by shiv »

D3PART3D wrote:Jeff = GB
LOL OK Thanks
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

shiv wrote:

Yes i know that, but that doesn't change the fact that it needs to be done at one point or another ;)
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

I agree that it needs work out the box. BUT since when does windows work out the box? I still have to install drivers after installation, I still have to install my programs. If you mean that it needs more work on the user friendly side, then yes, I agree with you
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Vampyre_2099 wrote: BUT since when does windows work out the box?
When did this become another Windows/Linux debate?

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

shiv wrote:
D3PART3D wrote:Jeff = GB
LOL OK Thanks
Dude I am with you on this one, stop with the using of "names" on the forum, gidammit, if they wanted to be called that they would have made their nick name their actual name, ant the rest of us who do not know them personally, just get confused like a " verkleurmannetjie op a smartiebox" -- IMO.

And back to topic - well that is their opinion, I really love UBUNTU, but also I actually have a internet connection, it is the first os I fount to work the way I want it. But then again I have not tried alot of other distros out there .

Yes even Kongregate thinks I am 1337 !!!
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

D3PART3D wrote:
Vampyre_2099 wrote: BUT since when does windows work out the box?
When did this become another Windows/Linux debate?
I'm not saying it did become one, but what I'm pointing out is that most people have expectations, sadly Windows (up til recent) set the requirements for other OS's to meet. People expect things to work because its how things have been up until now.
mybrute
myminicity

ImageImage
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Speaking of installing drivers:a pity that hardware manufacturers won't put the Linux drivers for their hardware on the installation CD.......would save a great deal of hunting around for the things during my lunch break......

I think we should be hating the Telecoms companies......internet still not cheap enough to make the use of Ubuntu practical for some of us....
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

shiv wrote:

Exactly, if I need to reinstall I wont start from a clean install, I just remastersys my current install and away I go :P

I can agree with Ett here, if Ubuntu is better out of the box it will definately pick up more populartiy, even though its a very popular distro currently
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

pffffft!

"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
shiv

Post by shiv »

g0ldback wrote:
shiv wrote:

Exactly, if I need to reinstall I wont start from a clean install, I just remastersys my current install and away I go :P

I can agree with Ett here, if Ubuntu is better out of the box it will definately pick up more populartiy, even though its a very popular distro currently
Many distros have this huge belief in Open Source.
While OS is great, it just won't be practical for most people.
MP3 rules, not OGG (and so on)
Hell I even saw some open source implementations of Flash!!

I don't see what's wrong with including proprietary stuff, as long as it's free!!!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Vampyre_2099 wrote:since when does windows work out the box?
Nobody ever suggested this.

And since when does windows work? :P

/fanboy
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

@Hma: Go away with your damn OpenSUSE :roll: :wink: :lol:
YaST FTL!!!!!

Just to add to this Windows thingy working out of the box, I say its BS. What can you do with Windows out of box apart from play mp3's and play solitaire :?
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:And since when does windows work? :P

/fanboy
ROFL! :lol:

- Elon Musk
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:And since when does windows work? :P
Nicely said
g0ldback wrote:What can you do with Windows out of box apart from play mp3's and play solitaire :Confused:
True, but I think people think of computers as things that just work, because they used to getting computers from shops, where all the drivers are installed and everything "Just Works" (Ubuntu phrase, I believe). Anyway, Ubuntu still great
mybrute
myminicity

ImageImage
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

g0ldback wrote:@Hma: Go away with your damn OpenSUSE :roll: :wink: :lol:
YaST FTL!!!!!

Just to add to this Windows thingy working out of the box, I say its BS. What can you do with Windows out of box apart from play mp3's and play solitaire :?
Here, have some more.

"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I like open suse but I wouldn't spam the forums like that.

No operating system works directly out of the box.
Look at IE-you have to tell it to automatically detect local network access which should be enabled from the off. I think they have enabled it now in Vista but still most of us use XP which still needs that option ticking.

I say either given the option to customize something to my needs is a good thing and if it requires a little configuring from the off to make my life easier in the end, I say fine and dandy.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

Just a quick question..

What do you do on Ubuntu all day that makes it "incredible" for you. I am not trying to sound derogative or anything, I would just like to know how does Ubuntu improve or add value to your professional career?

Why I ask is that many dudes I know swear by Linux/Ubuntu but most of these guys do nothing more than surf the web all day and type up the odd document.

On that point what I am really looking for is what kind of professional work do you do on Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance.