Hate Ubuntu? It's normal!

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

UsMarshal wrote:Just a quick question..

What do you do on Ubuntu all day that makes it "incredible" for you. I am not trying to sound derogative or anything, I would just like to know how does Ubuntu improve or add value to your professional career?

Why I ask is that many dudes I know swear by Linux/Ubuntu but most of these guys do nothing more than surf the web all day and type up the odd document.

On that point what I am really looking for is what kind of professional work do you do on Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance.
Well in my career I've used it for: Music listening, ssh-ing, web developing, web browsing, image editing, email, gaming, typing up documents, every day tasks... IE, everything windows does
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

Ok, let me add to my post above. I have been toying with moving over to linux, however I use products like flash, fireworks and photoshop. are there equivalents on the linux platform, please dont say gimp as it is a load of ....
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

Thanks Vampyre_2099, i might install it on a separate pc and have a look.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

What do you do on Ubuntu all day that makes it "incredible" for you
It works and works well.
Have you ever had 'explorer.exe has encountered an error and needs to be shutdown'? How many times? You don't get errors like that with Linux 99.99% of the time because it is simple yet simply works.
Try it-You will be amazed at how you get used to it.

I await pedo bears flaming attack on Linux *sigh*
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Vampyre_2099 wrote:IE, everything windows does
That kinda sums it up... :twisted:

UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

I have maybe gotten that explorer.exe has encountered an error and needs to be shutdown' once. Anyway I got what I needed, still not convinced. :D
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Plus firefox has a nifty spell checker tool that is very handy when chatting on forums ^_^
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

Hehe, ok I have gotten maybe part answer from one person who actually managed to answer my question. I am not flaming Ubuntu and not comparing it to windows. I am looking for answers from a power user. I will PM Dae and ask him, thanks chaps.
shiv

Post by shiv »

Frozenfireside wrote:
What do you do on Ubuntu all day that makes it "incredible" for you
It works and works well.
Have you ever had 'explorer.exe has encountered an error and needs to be shutdown'? How many times? You don't get errors like that with Linux 99.99% of the time because it is simple yet simply works.
Try it-You will be amazed at how you get used to it.

I await pedo bears flaming attack on Linux *sigh*
I have seen some KDE and GNOME crashes in my time...
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Me too, hence the 99.99% comment. I understand nothings perfect.
shiv

Post by shiv »

Frozenfireside wrote:Me too, hence the 99.99% comment. I understand nothings perfect.
Yeah, it's cool.
Surprisingly, some people may never ever experience explorer crashes.
Strange, but true...
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

When one of Linux' core components crashes it crashes. Guess what Vista does, it terminates the offending process and restarts it.

+1 to MS
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
shiv

Post by shiv »

Hman wrote:When one of Linux' core components crashes it crashes. Guess what Vista does, it terminates the offending process and restarts it.

+1 to MS
LOL
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Hman wrote:When one of Linux' core components crashes it crashes.
how many times were you warned not to muck about as root?...

+2 forum points for the fanbois troll attempt.. :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

UsMarshal wrote:I am looking for answers from a power user. I will PM Dae and ask him
8)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Hman

Post by Hman »

rustypup wrote:
Hman wrote:When one of Linux' core components crashes it crashes.
how many times were you warned not to muck about as root?...

+2 forum points for the fanbois troll attempt.. :wink:
I've seen it lots of times, and not even in root acc.

I will take your 2 points gypsy.

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Hman wrote:I will take your 2 points gypsy.
hah!.. those points were cursed! celine dion will sing to you every night :twisted:

of the 8 boxes we run here, 3 are *nix. the windows boxes prang every week, to a greater or lesser degree, requiring hard reboots every one or two months... 2 of the *nix boxes have been running without niggle for >5yrs, the other one had a release bug, (fixed on udpate), which hobbled the USB system... that's it... the only time these boxes have ever had to be restarted was during power outs.. since the generator was installed, this has once again become a non-entity...

windows -5
*nix +3

aside from the other distros, i run a LAMP server at home on a decommisioned server 2003 box - the box, when it had ms on it, was well known for running like it was covered in pig treackle - yet the LAMP runs as smooth as butter, no hiccups...

over the past 12 years, i have scribbled one suse install by mucking around as root. i have had one crash when a graphics card died and 2 or 3 when installing 3rd party apps. i cannot list the issues i've had with windows in that time because it is impossible to recall every single incident.

i know which is the superior OS and which isn't... the question is... do you?
Hman

Post by Hman »

rustypup wrote:hah!.. those points were cursed! celine dion will sing to you every night :twisted:

...i know which is the superior OS and which isn't... the question is... do you?
Nice, as long as she drove all night to get to me.

I know linux is more stable than Windows, but I still can't run my gfx design apps, nor the games I want to play on linux.

Probably the biggest downfall of linux is the lack of standardization between distros. If some standards could be implemented other issues would be easier to sort out. Things like binary compatibility etc.

PHR33K

Post by PHR33K »

I prefer openSUSE.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Hman wrote:I still can't run my gfx design apps
sad but true, given the market penetration by OSX and windows, support for the linux kernel is very light on the ground...
Hman wrote:Probably the biggest downfall of linux is the lack of standardization between distros.
there i would disagree... this is the hidden strength in linux..

being able to tailor make your OS solution is an incredibly powerful tool... most power users end up with a base kernel and just those tools they need on a particular box, which translates into further stability and function not remotely achievable in other operating systems...
Hman

Post by Hman »

I'm not talking about locking users out of modifying the os, just standardize things like installation of packages (so you could for example download compiz in a ubuntu flavor, but install it just the same with one click on OpenSuse without having to recompile or download another version) and many other such things like a standard sound renderer etc.

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

;) gotcha... bad news is, for varying historical reasons, those seperate install packages will remain.. the debian update methodology is completely different to, say, suse or solaris..

in many cases, you have to make/build on the local kernel, which is precisely why users tend to settle on a distro flavour they're comfortable with and work out the kinks....

one big plus for me in the *nix way of doing things is in not having to reboot the entire machine to affect the installation of an update - something which boggles the mind in windows... (90% of the time, the reboot is forced to ensure that a single key-change in the registry takes effect.. .imagine that - in the lame automotive-comparison parlance, that's like having to restart your car whenever you change channels... :lol: )
shiv

Post by shiv »

rustypup wrote:;) gotcha... bad news is, for varying historical reasons, those seperate install packages will remain.. the debian update methodology is completely different to, say, suse or solaris..

in many cases, you have to make/build on the local kernel, which is precisely why users tend to settle on a distro flavour they're comfortable with and work out the kinks....

one big plus for me in the *nix way of doing things is in not having to reboot the entire machine to affect the installation of an update - something which boggles the mind in windows... (90% of the time, the reboot is forced to ensure that a single key-change in the registry takes effect.. .imagine that - in the lame automotive-comparison parlance, that's like having to restart your car whenever you change channels... :lol: )
Hmm...
Well, whenever I change certain settings (in GNOME or KDE), it sometimes tells me to log off and then back on for changes to take effect.
I have to save my work, log off and then log back on.
Is this not similar in some way?? (Linux obviously wins here, but still)
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

The point it sometimes but I hear you.
I hate microsofts update because it's not the pain of updating that gets me, it's that annoying pop up asking me to restart for every single little update.

A hotfix in microsoft words is not a hotfix in mine.

I did about 700megs of updates for my open suse and it didn't need restating.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

shiv wrote:it sometimes tells me to log off
correct... but the important thing is you're not rebooting the machine, you're effectively just restarting gnome/kde