Modding: What to use?

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
AcidT

Modding: What to use?

Post by AcidT »

Hi All

I am planning on building a custom gaming rig/cocoon that will house my screen and all the other peripherals. My plan is to take my 22' LCD and build it into the "cocoon" along with the PC Case and permanently mount my MOMO wheel in front of it (Obviously a little lower so that I can still see on the screen). There will be a racing chair put in and then a few nice light mods with a fan or 2 for extra cooling and so on.

What my question is is what kind of material would be the best to use that will not cost me an arm and a leg. I was leaning towards using normal pine for the basic frame and main structure and then close the sides off using super wood.

When finished I should have a home made "arcade" setup that cn be used for gaming and all the other stuff I use my PC for.

Any other ideas.
Skidd
Permanently Banned

Post by Skidd »

Wood sounds good, maybe look at doing a metal frame rather with supper wood or perspex to cover.
AcidT

Post by AcidT »

I was thinking of doing a metal frame but the cost involved is a bit on the high side and there is also the weight issue.

Thanx for the reply...
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Yeah, but metal will be much more durable.

You can maybe use glass fibre or wood to close it up, perspex would be way to expensive. Also, thin sheet metal is not that expensive.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
AcidT

Post by AcidT »

Hman wrote:Yeah, but metal will be much more durable.

You can maybe use glass fibre or wood to close it up, perspex would be way to expensive. Also, thin sheet metal is not that expensive.
What is not expensive when talking about tin sheet metal?
Domino_PhoeniX
Permanently Banned

Post by Domino_PhoeniX »

Lol skidd, puuer wood? didnt know you were a beaver :)
Amd Phenom 9600+
Msi K9A2 Platinum
Sapphire Ati Radeon HD 3850 512mb
Antec Neo Power 500 watt
2x 1GB Corsair Dominator 1066
Coolermaster CM690
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Build a metal frame and cover it with Fibre glass (Like Hman said). The fibre glass is not that expensive, its at least WAY cheaper than wood or sheet metal. The frame would cost you but do it properly the first time and you wouldn't have it falling apart after a month. And if its heavy, well from what I understand about your idea, its going to be large as well, so just mount it on wheels...
Hman

Post by Hman »

A 2.4m x 1.2m x 1.6mm mild steel sheet was not very expensive last time I checked.

AcidT

Post by AcidT »

Did not think about mounting it on wheels. That could work. And yes it is going to be a biggy. The final idea is to make it look similar to an arcade gaming rig.
Hman

Post by Hman »

Samaya wrote:... And if its heavy, well from what I understand about your idea, its going to be large as well, so just mount it on wheels...
Or make it splittable.

AcidT

Post by AcidT »

Hman wrote:Or make it splittable.
I was leaning towards making it splittable by having the frame separate from the inner part. This way I should be able to move it easier when moving house.
Hman

Post by Hman »

8)

RuadRauFlessa

Re: Modding: What to use?

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

AcidT wrote: What my question is is what kind of material would be the best to use that will not cost me an arm and a leg.
Oh well you can always try Carbon Fibre as it won't cost you and arm and a leg. :lol: But it should cost you 2 arms and 2 legs :lol:

Seriously go with the Metal frame. I went through the excercise as well. The metal frame with a fiberglass body is the best to go. Just make sure you know how to work with the fibreglass before you actually attemp it. Do a couple of test runs to get a feel for how it works. Otherwise you will end up doing everything from scratch.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
AcidT

Post by AcidT »

Carbon Fiber!!! I Wish :D

I am at a cross road here withe frame. On the on side I think steel should be much better and on the other side there is allot more I can do with the wood and make it very sturdy. I will have to sit and weigh the options to see which will be the best to use.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

AcidT wrote:Carbon Fiber!!! I Wish :D

I am at a cross road here withe frame. On the on side I think steel should be much better and on the other side there is allot more I can do with the wood and make it very sturdy. I will have to sit and weigh the options to see which will be the best to use.
Do yourself a fav and go make two designs on paper. One from wood and one from metal. Just the frames though. Make sure your design will include any structural element you will need in order to make it sturdy. Then work out how much you need of what and then check the price. You will find that you need like 5 time more wood than you would actually metal and therefor your metal frame would actually work you out cheaper. Also it would last longer. Especially if you really want to make it properly and do a powdercoat or get it galvanized before you paint over it. If you do either of them make sure it is done after you have made all the needed holes and did all of the required welding otherwise you will undo the finish. It is worth it though.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

So you dont wanna use your pc for anything else except gaming anymore? That sux :( Get a console rather for that then.
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
AcidT

Post by AcidT »

DeanMF wrote:So you dont wanna use your pc for anything else except gaming anymore? That sux :( Get a console rather for that then.
The design that I have in mind will cater for all the uses I have for my PC. From gaming to surfing the web and doing my Video Editing. Once it is done I will post the pics for all to see.

By the way, I do have a PS2 and PSP but I am very fussy as to what kind of games I play on the different platforms and then you also do not get God of War on the PC now.
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Would like to see the designs then, cause I think I have a picture in my head of this setup that is completely different to your designs :wink:
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
AcidT

Post by AcidT »

I will post the design picture as soon as I am done with them. It basically boils down to the following. Imagine an arcade racing game where you sit on the racing seat with the steering in front of you and the screen a few centimeters back. My idea is taking that basic design and make the seat adjustable so that it can move backwards and then have a retractable platform where my keydord and mouse sits on.