The may cover

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
pofadder

Post by pofadder »

My hat off to the PC Format May -08 issue. The content was excellent - lots of little news snippets makes for interesting reading.

The "new" cover makes for a nice change. Usually, I'll buy the PC Format and leave it for an hour or two before I start reading it. This month's edition had me ripping the mag open just after I bought it.

I've always been of the opinion that a magazine cover should reflect the "main" content / article within the magazine. The previous editions fell short, IMO, as the cover girl never appeared in the magazine's content again (specifically with regards to later releases).

Anyway, just my opinion. Again, nice work, PCF!
[Q8200│Asus mobo│4Gb Kingmax Ram│BFG 8800GT Sli│Corsair 750W PSU│X-Fi Sound│Samsung 22 inch]
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

endev8003 wrote:Perhaps my local cna will stop putting pcf next to the adult mags :D
lmao - our local CNA used to do this aswell - the PCF used to be at the back of the store for some time before it got placed alongside the rest of the pc magazines.
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
Anonymous_One

Post by Anonymous_One »

:( I'm very sad at this ... but I shall still buy the mag...
Don't take anything I say serious ... Yes I can't spell I know... Cough Cough
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

Didn't like the new cover, want the old cover back.

It's just not PCF with the new cover it's just like every other pc gaming magazine. The model on the cover set it apart.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

DeanMF wrote:
IcePick88 wrote:Every red blooded male must enjoy skantaly klad ladies!
I highly doubt that.
I dont at all, those guys that say anything to the contrary, are either Gay ( not ment as insult but the fact that they dont like woman) or they are lieing. That aside.

I alo perfer the "Skantaly Klad" ladies. It seperates my PCF form the rest of my boring cover mags that lie around. It has no effect on the quality of the mag, that is up to the editor and writers.

Yes even Kongregate thinks I am 1337 !!!
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

PC enthusiasts are changing... It's not just geeks that enjoy computing anymore but it's still mostly guys (that's also changing slowly). Bike and car magazines have girls on the cover so why can't PC magazines? They appeal to the target market so I don't have a problem with them. They also make the cover more attractive and they are somewhat of a tradition. I say bring them back, but I'm not too phased if they go. I only buy the magazine when I need something non-electronic to read, I get my news and reviews from the web.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

Well everyone to his/her own opinions but I stopped buying pcformat when the girls stopped appearing on the cover. The mag was it's own unique entity.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

UsMarshal wrote:Well everyone to his/her own opinions but I stopped buying pcformat when the girls stopped appearing on the cover. The mag was it's own unique entity.
You did? So that means you stopped ... what ... this month?
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

yes... well i wanted to make a statement, but it seams it is loosing a lot of momentum! :D
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

I still don't understand what it is about having a barely-clad female on the cover that makes PCF unique. T3 and Stuff both use that sort of material for their covers.

I would always feel embarrassed when buying PCF because of the woman on the cover.....it just isn't....me, if you know what I mean.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

But why would someone just buy PCF to stare at one model on the cover? They could then go and buy FHM for that. :) And I am not ashamed when I buy the PCF with the model on the cover. It's just that the lady on the cover made the mag stand out from other PC mags.

But I must say, the content of the mag is as good as it always has been. It's a preference thing. Some dudes prefer the chicks....and some dudes don't prefer chicks....simple.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

PhReaK_K wrote:
DeanMF wrote:
IcePick88 wrote:Every red blooded male must enjoy skantaly klad ladies!
I highly doubt that.
I dont at all, those guys that say anything to the contrary, are either Gay ( not ment as insult but the fact that they dont like woman) or they are lieing.
Is all honesty, i dont think this is true. I too enjoy ladies as much as the next man, but all in its rightfull place. I for one used to always make sure that my PCF mags we're laying face down in my room or i bent the cover completely behind the book itself while i was reading it.
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

IcePick88 wrote:Some dudes prefer the chicks....and some dudes don't prefer chicks....simple.
Exactly!!! End of discussion :wink:

:lol: :lol:
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

A little late to add my 5c but still.

I think the cover looks great. Its not at all dated as the PC version of AC only landed now and it is a PC magazine.

ATTN PCF: CAN I PLEASE DO THE ART DIRECTION FOR A COVER!!! PLEASE!!!
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

If maxxis gets his way, you have to let every mod have a turn to decide what goes on the cover.

Now... which month would be best for Linetrap :?: :twisted:
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Cocktober?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Has a nice ring to it! :idea:

:lol:

But in all seriousness - I'm sure you would do an awesome job as a PCF guest art director ;)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Also a bit late to the reply party...

I enjoyed this months cover looked awesome! Hope to see more of it.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
markman

Post by markman »

maxxis wrote:Cocktober?
The gay PCFormat?

:D
Zana

Post by Zana »

My problem is , its not in stock in checkers, and Pick and Pay in Eshowe... maybe the change in cover design confused the packaging /ordering... :roll:

But i cant buy this month, well if the cover disk is full of loss , then its not worth it... looks like war, blood and guts is the way to go ! :twisted:

erm,... :? enouph said or i will be spilling the beans, or you mean the virtual intestines....lol

:love1:
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

StarPhoenix wrote:I still don't understand what it is about having a barely-clad female on the cover that makes PCF unique. T3 and Stuff both use that sort of material for their covers.

I would always feel embarrassed when buying PCF because of the woman on the cover.....it just isn't....me, if you know what I mean.
Dude, you took the words right out of my mind...
When you pick up the mag from the shelf and there is a little girl right next to you and staring at you wide eyed, you really start to feel uncomfortable...

I love this months cover, it makes a nice change. But I don't think that every months cover should be a gaming theme. Switch between games, hardware, and maybe occasionally a woman in some undersized clothes --just to prevent some people form rioting... :wink:

I understand that it might attract some people to buy the mag if they see a cover babe, but then just think.... do they buy the mag because the content is interesting and that they will actually read it, or do they buy it for some other... :crazy: :read: ... reasons and hardly read it?

I say good job to this months cover, and very interesting stuff in the mag and on the coverdisk (although the nfsps patch broke my game)
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Nookie

Post by Nookie »

my 2c is i really dont care what is on the front as long as it is informative and still keeps the high standard it has.

besides, i have a subscription to the mag so either way this goes im getting the mag :D :D :D

@PCFORMAT - great mag guys and im with you either way...
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Dual Core
MSI SLI Mobo
2x 1Gig DDR2 667mhz RAM
Inno3D Geforce 8600 GT 256MB GDDR3
1x 80Gig Seagate
1x 400Gig Seagate
Samsung 22' Widescreen 3000:1 2m/s response
Vista ultimate 32bit
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

I dig the cover.... but my opinion is that the cover should be changed on a regular basis. Have hardware one month, a babe the next etc etc
Nookie

Post by Nookie »

g0ldback wrote:I dig the cover.... but my opinion is that the cover should be changed on a regular basis. Have hardware one month, a babe the next etc etc
i agree with that. mix it up abit to make it interesting. hit the random cover button each month and surprise us.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Dual Core
MSI SLI Mobo
2x 1Gig DDR2 667mhz RAM
Inno3D Geforce 8600 GT 256MB GDDR3
1x 80Gig Seagate
1x 400Gig Seagate
Samsung 22' Widescreen 3000:1 2m/s response
Vista ultimate 32bit
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I was organising all my magazines a few days ago. I have PCF mags from, like, 6 years ago. It was SO weird looking at the covers because all the girls had clothes on. And i'm not being facetious now, i'm dead serious. They had like, a skirt and a v neck top, or jut something like that. The most skin i saw on any of those covers was a bit of stomach sticking out.

IMO, it looked FAR more classy than the barely dressed girls of today's PCF covers...
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.