Video problem

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
Fallen

Video problem

Post by Fallen »

I overclocked my ASUS 8800GTS 640MB video card by flashing the bios a while back. I took great care with everything and made sure that the temperatures were acceptable (max temp that it reached was about 68"C). Everything was working fine until recently, when it started displaying all kinds of freaky bahaviour (eg. textures on certain spots on walls/sky go crazy and the screen flashes randomly, during which the textures also seem to go crazy). I flashed the bios back to the original, but still the same thing. It seems to be working fine in games like COD4 and UT3, but the problems occur in games like quake 3, crysis and assasins creed.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? Or does someone know what it could be? Did i fry my card???
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Sounds like your card is wasted to me. :?

But wait for some other responses first.
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Drivers, power or card. 1 of the 3. Does it only happen in 3D mode while your running games?
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

sounds like the card is damaged bud. artifacts normally mean damage if they still remain there even if you remove the overclock.
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

:cry: Thanks for the input sofar..

Anyone else?
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Hex_Rated wrote:Drivers, power or card. 1 of the 3. Does it only happen in 3D mode while your running games?
It only happens in games. Everything else seems fine..
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Use DriverCleaner to remove the drivers, you'll have to search for a free copy of an older version, the new version is not free IIRC. Then install fresh drivers. If it still happens, check the PSU if possible. Swap it with a friends and see if the problem persists. What size is your PSU, it should be at least a 400W-450W decent brand supply to run that card with high current ratings. If the problem isn't the PSU swap the card out.

If it's possible to have the place of purchase test it without much hassle (shipping etc), maybe that should be your first course of action.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Thanks Hex, will give it a shot!!

Im running a 550w Zalman PSU. It should be sufficient afaik (ASUS reccomends a 500w minimum)...
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

Your temps might just be getting a bit high and the card is suffering. I suggest you flash back to original BIOS and see how it acts.
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4050Ghz
Asus Striker II Formula
4GB Transcend AxeRam DDR2 1066+ @ 1200mhz
2 x XFX 8800GT XXX Alpha Dog SLI
AeroCool Horsepower 1020W PSU
Seagate 320GB SATA 16Mb
CoolMaster Stacker 830 nVidia Edition
Swifttech H20 Apexi Ultra+ on CPU/SLI
Samsung 22"
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Yeah i already flashed back to the original bios, but still had the same problem.

It seems like it was some sort of driver problem. I downloaded the latest ASUS drivers and it seems to work fine now.

Thanks for everyones input!
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Fallen wrote:Yeah i already flashed back to the original bios, but still had the same problem.

It seems like it was some sort of driver problem. I downloaded the latest ASUS drivers and it seems to work fine now.

Thanks for everyones input!
Also get a aftermark cooler just to be sure.

I had this same problem with my Gigabyte 320mb back when i had it, same problems im afraid. But not from flashing the bios, must have been drivers.

Good to hear you sorted
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Yeah, dunno if its some issue with the 64 bit drivers. But my performance doesnt seem to be as good as it should be either. Also, speciffically when i run assasins creed, the game jerks when im travelling in the areas inbetween cities. Dunno what the hell is going on.. :?