Linux promises "desktop" thunder

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

WHAT HE SAID :P

So, just to wrap up this little spamfest-cum-deliberation:

If you ignore:

Poor performance
Resource-hogging
Instability
Ridiculously high price
Poor customer service (in my experience)

Then you have a totally workable solution, in the form of Windows. M$ FTW :roll:
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

rustypup wrote:frankly, aside from gaming, (tied to DX), and the draconian market penetration of office, windows is a second rate OS... through and through. it's bugged to hell and gone, as corruptible as a 12yr old in a brothel and uses most of your system in order to render a GUI.. which is pretty WTF'ble all on its own.. ha.
Bugged? It's retarded developers whose broken programs and drivers breaks Windows. Then MS has to go cleaning up their mistakes.
rustypup wrote:in short, linux remains the superior product.. all those arguing for ease of use cannot disagree that mostly they're arguing for technological retardation... windows caters to stupid users because this is the market they want to develop... a stupid user will accept whatever bit of flashy malware is placed in front of it.... which is great if you're in the business of punting shoddy malware, ala M$. hahahaha..

That's Mac OS X' job.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Hman wrote:Bugged? It's retarded developers whose broken programs and drivers breaks Windows. Then MS has to go cleaning up their mistakes.
you're now referring to M$ developers and M$ as if they were 2 distinct entities... :?
Hman wrote:That's Mac OS X' job.
:lol: not really... apple attracts the aspiration zombies who have more money than sense...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

just to be clear, I support both OS, they do both have great qualities. Well, Linux anyway :P

But, to be honest, my HTC TyTn II runs Windows Mobile 6 and it's a great platform; stable, not too slow, quite powerful, and most importantly, as with all good M$ products, there are SOO many hacks, patches, themes etc to be able to make it look NOTHING like Windows...which I'm sure we can all agree is a good thing.

I'm installing Ubuntu tonight, with no internet connection. Let's see how things go :)
Hman

Post by Hman »

rustypup wrote:
Hman wrote:Bugged? It's retarded developers whose broken programs and drivers breaks Windows. Then MS has to go cleaning up their mistakes.
you're now referring to M$ developers and M$ as if they were 2 distinct entities... :?
Hman wrote:That's Mac OS X' job.
:lol: not really... apple attracts the aspiration zombies who have more money than sense...
I was referring to the sheer amount of work MS has to do to fix improperly coded programs' compatibility issues.

The publisher I do freelance work for is convinced about Apple's superiority. Other than that small flaw he's actually a nice person. :lol:

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

and m$ developers are pretty competent when it comes to creating buggy software...one of the funniest to date was the excel numeracy bug... aside from the funny, the number and volume of exploits, especially in the ip stack, is simply laughable...
Hman wrote:The publisher I do freelance work for is convinced about Apple's superiority.
have you shared the 120 second crack news with him?.. :lol:

as an aside, jamin should enjoy the fact that linux came through... again...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Was the laptop using Vista SP1 :?:

No, I don't think so. MS was at a disadvantage and still lasted a long time. Impressive!
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

LMFAO BUT JAM!!!! Why do they HAVE to have SP1 to be secure? I notice you enquire about the presence of SP1 but not the presence of either Apple or Ubuntu patches or SPs... :P

Microsoft release OS' like this:

Imagine a door frame. It's totally open and you can simply walk through.
Enter SP1, and a wooden plank blocks the bottom 3rd of the door frame. Well, no problem, just lift your leg and step over it.

Enter SP2, well, more tricky. Will have to use a ladder to gain access.

Then they use a 3rd plank, effectively blocking the doorway. Except they;ve forgotten the knots in the wood which can be pushed out, allowing small entrance holes which are thus exploited. They polyfilla these up and are now totally secure. At which point the hackers go to the side of the house and use the first available window :D :lol:
--

Linux approach: Build nigh-impenetrable, reinforced steel box. Coat in kevlar. Bury 799999999999999 feet underground. Laugh at M$. :D :lol: :P
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jamin_za wrote:MS was at a disadvantage...
apologist... :P

just to round off the UrBaN's list:
○Poor performance
○Resource-hog
○Instability
○Ridiculously high price
○Poor customer service (in my experience)
● Buggy
● Hobbled media playback
● As secure as a piece of cheese at the National Association of Fondue Sets gala evening...

then windows is your OS of choice...
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

UrBaN wrote:Microsoft release OS' like this:

Imagine a door frame. It's totally open and you can simply walk through.
Enter SP1, and a wooden plank blocks the bottom 3rd of the door frame. Well, no problem, just lift your leg and step over it.

Enter SP2, well, more tricky. Will have to use a ladder to gain access.

Then they use a 3rd plank, effectively blocking the doorway. Except they;ve forgotten the knots in the wood which can be pushed out, allowing small entrance holes which are thus exploited. They polyfilla these up and are now totally secure. At which point the hackers go to the side of the house and use the first available window :D :lol:
I have to disagree with you there, see they don't use the third plank, before they get to the third plank (AKA XP SP 3), they cut off the service to the house. I'm actually very surprised that they are even releasing SP3 as they now have "secure" Vista SP1 running... *laugh at MS*

Yes, I must agree that MS do release good OS'. User-friendly, Pretty Looking and all around very nice, BUT they lack background support.

A box can look pretty but not contain anything
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

Linux approach: Build nigh-impenetrable, reinforced steel box. Coat in kevlar. Bury 799999999999999 feet underground. Laugh at M$.
LOL, how do you get to "said box" that it's now buried so far under ground?
Last edited by UsMarshal on 08 Apr 2008, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

UrBaN wrote:LMFAO BUT JAM!!!! Why do they HAVE to have SP1 to be secure? I notice you enquire about the presence of SP1 but not the presence of either Apple or Ubuntu patches or SPs... :P
:lol:
Apple's OS sucks. Sorry but it's purely for a niche market of die hard fanbois with even less common sense than Linux users.
UrBaN wrote:Linux approach: Build nigh-impenetrable, reinforced steel box. Coat in kevlar. Bury 799999999999999 feet underground. Laugh at M$. :D :lol: :P
Incorrect!

Linux approach: build the house without any plastering, paint, plumbing or electricty. Just 4 walls and a roof.
Also build it somewhere where nobody ever goes. That way security is not a big issue, because nobody will want to break in.
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jamin_za wrote:Was the laptop using Vista SP1 :?:

No, I don't think so.
ahem.. Fujitsu U810 running Vista Ultimate SP1 :P
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Meh. Probably a release candidate!
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

HEHE, just a joke.. You fanboys need to lighten up! :D
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

any ranger that frowns 'apon' anything needs to be booked into an institution... called kindergarten, (which is german for 'chuck can't spell') :P

@jamin: i'm assuming that, even if there was evidence to the contrary, you would be obliged to point out it wasn't the special, pixie-flavoured, version with the magical 'sort out all that security stuff' pack included....

Apologetics: when just saying, "fine, you're right, windows is teh sux0rs" is too difficult... :lol:
Last edited by rustypup on 08 Apr 2008, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

well he is from texas, so I'd have to overlook the spelling thing.
jcd

Post by jcd »

[OT]Replace chuck with a pic of Vernon Koekemoer[/OT]

I am no particular fan of windows, but I must add that with SP2 Windows XP is about the stable'est windows you can get.

Only reason I havnt gone over to Linux is because I play alot of games and I am not sure about the compatibility of alot of the programs I use.
Intel Core2Duo E8200
Chaintech Nvidia 9600GT
2x 1024mb DDR2-800 Trancsend Ram
Biostar P35D2-A7 MOBO
120GB & 250GB SATA2 HDD
CoolerMaster Elite 333 case.
Hman

Post by Hman »

jamin_za wrote:Linux approach: build the house without any plastering, paint, plumbing or electricty. Just 4 walls and a roof.
Also build it somewhere where nobody ever goes. That way security is not a big issue, because nobody will want to break in.
And far away from any hardware stores as well.

UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

jamin_za wrote:
UrBaN wrote:LMFAO BUT JAM!!!! Why do they HAVE to have SP1 to be secure? I notice you enquire about the presence of SP1 but not the presence of either Apple or Ubuntu patches or SPs... :P
:lol:
Apple's OS sucks. Sorry but it's purely for a niche market of die hard fanbois with even less common sense than Linux users.
I wasn't supporting cr@pple :P merely pointing out your lack of equality :P
jamin_za wrote:
UrBaN wrote:Linux approach: Build nigh-impenetrable, reinforced steel box. Coat in kevlar. Bury 799999999999999 feet underground. Laugh at M$. :D :lol: :P
Incorrect!

Linux approach: build the house without any plastering, paint, plumbing or electricty. Just 4 walls and a roof.
Oh please, Linux house is painted with Plascon Velvaglo, MS house is painted with some generic stuff, then RE-painted by 80% of its users to make it look better :D
MS, once finished building it's wormhole-ridden OS, then surrounds it with 9' high walls and electric fencing. But doesn't lock the front gate.

Ubuntu simply surrounds itself with a 1km wide, shark-ridden, electrically charged moat and wirelessly accepts usage from its numerous loyal fans, intent on advancing and supporting it's awesome, though comparitably infantile, legacy; as evidenced by the CONTINUOUS improvements/modifications and contributions put forth by it's robust, knowledgeable and altogether superior followers.:P
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

UrBaN wrote:Ubuntu simply surrounds itself with a 1km wide, shark-ridden, electrically charged moat and wirelessly accepts usage from its numerous loyal fans, intent on advancing and supporting it's awesome, though comparitably infantile, legacy; as evidenced by the CONTINUOUS improvements/modifications and contributions put forth by it's robust, knowledgeable and altogether superior followers.:P
Thats why only 10 people use it.

Not only is it too difficult for criminals, but even friendly people stopping by for a visit get electrocuted or eaten by sharks.

Well done Linux!
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Lol you dork. Ever heard of a draw bridge? It's that wooden thingy that...oh nevermind, the Microsoft catatonics who have been so inculcated in the way of FREE notepad and paint would never grasp the awesomeness and versatility of an opensource project. Why? There's no money to be made, no BSOD error to google from your now non-functional PC when you get bored, and no chance of missing that all important fix for Excel, lest someone hack you by exploiting a weakness in the "=sum" function.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

jamin_za wrote:Not only is it too difficult for criminals, but even friendly people stopping by for a visit get electrocuted or eaten by sharks.

Well done Linux!
Is that why most viruses for Windows are written in Linux? Because its too hard? Or is it the fact that its pretty hard to plant a virus in Linux.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't viruses for Linux
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Can't we all just get along?