Linux promises "desktop" thunder

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Linux promises "desktop" thunder

Post by Ron2K »

http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_ ... Id=4342746
The free Linux operating system handles big tasks like running supercomputers and ATMs. Now Linux has a chance to finally crack Microsoft's hold on computing's most visible domain - mainstream PCs - because of the rise of innovative, inexpensive machines.

Of course, prognosticators perennially say Linux is on the verge. It gets high marks for security and stability, and is widely used behind the scenes in corporate servers, making it a natural candidate to steal thunder from Microsoft's Windows. And yet Linux PCs still represent less than two percent of the market.

This time, though, there's evidence of momentum. While the best features in the latest Windows release, Vista, require top-notch configurations that can quickly ramp up a PC's price, one of the hottest segments of the industry involves inexpensive computers.

Laptops under $400 (about R3 000) are real possibilities now, and some of the most buzz-worthy use Linux, such as Asustek Computer's EeePC and the One Laptop Per Child Foundation's $200 "XO" computer for schoolchildren. Linux also is available on slim little "netbooks" being pushed by Intel.

Not only is Linux essentially free to the PC vendor, but the operating system also is better suited than Vista for cheap PCs' spartan hardware designs. (Windows XP is available on scaled-back PCs such as Intel's Classmate, but it's unclear what will happen after Microsoft soon stops selling XP to the general public.)

Amazon.com's top-selling PCs include several Asustek Linux machines. Although Wal-Mart Stores recently stopped a test run of selling Linux PCs in some stores, the company says it will continue to offer them online.

Business computing suppliers are finding open-source desktops especially gaining traction in cost-conscious developing markets. For example, a PC distributor in eastern Europe is packaging software from IBM and Linux vendor Red Hat to create Microsoft-free desktops for that market.

One buyer is Aleksandar Spagnut, a director of Moscow-based Rushotel, which needed new desktop PCs for a hotel-building project. Spagnut said his company saved 30-35 percent over comparable Windows machines. He added that Linux PCs are now common enough that a snowball effect is emerging, whereby technical support and "drivers" - which essentially tell programs how to interact with hardware - are much easier to find.

"This really makes the difference," he said.

Linux might benefit from a changing conception of what computers are for. With the rise of web-based applications that reduce the need for desktop-bound software, more of the action comes through an Internet browser now. The feel of the underlying operating system is less important.

That means Linux consumers can get a lot out of their computers even if they are put off by what many reviewers still cite as Linux's biggest flaw: its uneven user-friendliness. Some tweaks to Linux machines require higher-than-average computing savvy, although this is less of an issue than in the past.

Perhaps more importantly, if the desktop operating system fades further into the background, PC makers could have greater incentive to save money on it by offering Linux.

"I'm a big believer in the inevitable forces of economics - they're like glaciers," said Mark Shuttleworth, CEO of Canonical, which this month is releasing a new version of Ubuntu, a leading version of Linux that can run PCs. "Glaciers carve out terrain. It takes time." - Sapa-AP
HELL YEAH! :D
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Hell no!

More vapor from 'nix die-hards.

Sure you can run Linux on your R3000 laptop... But then what?
I'm a big believer in the inevitable forces of economics - they're like glaciers. Glaciers carve out terrain. It takes time.
Mark Shuttleworth, you may have enough money to keep yourself alive for the amount of time it will take the Linux glacier to carve it's path through desktop terrain - if it ever happens, but the rest of us will be long gone.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

Yay, Linux FTW!!!
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jamin_za wrote:More vapor from 'nix die-hards.
pfft... you're just getting jittery because your reason for being is windoze..

the most effective way to shut a windows fanboi up is to show the nana what linux can do on lower spec'd machines... there really is no comparison between the two OSs when you're running them in resource scarce environments... linux gives windows a slap in the face of note in looks, stability and performance...

jamin's upset because without M$'s pitiful excuse for an OS, he'd be out of a job... :P

that being said, we're still 5-10 years away from a time when windoze finally dies a well deserved death.[size=0]pfft[/size]..
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:there really is no comparison between the two OSs when you're running them in resource scarce environments... linux gives windows a slap in the face of note in looks, stability and performance...
I won't disagree. On low-end machines Linux owns.

Raise your hands everyone who wants to use low-end machines everyday....

Well alrighty then!
rustypup wrote:jamin's upset because without M$'s pitiful excuse for an OS, he'd be out of a job...
While it is true that without Microsoft I would struggle to find employment in the IT sector, you are counting your chickens before they hatch if you think my job is in any danger whatsoever.

rustypup wrote:we're still 5-10 years away from a time when windoze finally dies a well deserved death.
It's spelled Windows. Someone who blows their own grammar-nazi trumpet with such such fervor should really not be making such mistakes...

Also how many chickens will you have when they all hatch?

Lets find out in 10 years, shall we?

[size=0]NO U![/size]
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

jamin_za wrote:
rustypup wrote:there really is no comparison between the two OSs when you're running them in resource scarce environments... linux gives windows a slap in the face of note in looks, stability and performance...
I won't disagree. On low-end machines Linux owns.

Well alrighty then!
I won't disagree, although some people don't have the luxuary of running high end machines.
jamin_za wrote:
rustypup wrote:we're still 5-10 years away from a time when windoze finally dies a well deserved death.
It's spelled Windows. Someone who blows their own grammar-nazi trumpet with such such fervor should really not be making such mistakes...

Also how many chickens will you have when they all hatch?

Lets find out in 10 years, shall we?
I think he'll have 3 chickens
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

OOh ooh its lunchtime...trollbait anyone?

We all know Linux is going to take over the world and leave M$ to develop more advanced software for desktop calculators and wristwatches. It's a moot point.

Well alrighty then!
Jamjar - the point is, if Linux can look better than Vissie on a low spec machine, imagine how much more capable it is when you give it a few extra cores and lots RAM..

I'm not a fanboi of either OS, I still like the stability of DOS :D but I do think Linux will be, at least, on a par with Wincr@p pretty soon. Maybe, if the mullets would see through the political cr@p, they could work together to integrate their different (read Linux=correct, M$=cash-hungry) approaches and come out with a stable, capable, low-resource-demanding OS. (Again, images of DOS goodness come to mind).

Actually, to prove the awesomeness of DOS, someone tell me how, without using any 3rd party programs or system hacks, to copy a file from one place in Wincr@p to another, whilst simultaneously renaming it..? Anyone?

try "copy c:\dosrulez\dos.exe c:\dosrulez\rulez.exe

you now have dos=rulez :D:P:P :lol:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

rustypup wrote:linux gives windows a slap in the face of note in looks, stability and performance...
QFT!!!

jamin_za wrote:Raise your hands everyone who wants to use low-end machines everyday....

Well alrighty then!
No man! You can't ask that on a forum dedicated to computer nerds! lol!

That's like asking "who drives a VW" on the "Ferrari drivers only" forum :P
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

UrBaN wrote:OOh ooh its lunchtime...trollbait anyone?
Yummy!
UrBaN wrote:We all know Linux is going to take over the world and leave M$ to develop more advanced software for desktop calculators and wristwatches. It's a moot point.
So is your face!
UrBaN wrote:OOh Jamjar - the point is, if Linux can look better than Vissie on a low spec machine, imagine how much more capable it is when you give it a few extra cores and lots RAM..
And what exactly is it going to do with those extra cores :?:
Aside from run Open Office really, really quickly :?:
UrBaN wrote:I'm not a fanboi of either OS
Neither am I, but I do think Windows has the Lions share of the market for a reason. Even if that reason is not reliability :P
UrBaN wrote:I do think Linux will be, at least, on a par with Wincr@p pretty soon.
I'm pretty sure Linux is a better OS than this Wincr@p you speak of. Whether it will ever trump Windows is another story.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Neither am I, but I do think Windows has the Lions share of the market for a reason. Even if that reason is not reliability :P
It has the lead market share because it's been around since before Noah started felling trees for his floating genetic modification device :P
And what exactly is it going to do with those extra cores :?:
Aside from run Open Office really, really quickly :?:
Do not be such an ignorant n000000b that you don't think the Linux developers will create support for multiple CPU's and start supporting more games :P (aside from the MANY they already do)

One of my customers is a large financial service provider. They have totally scrapped Windows on their systems and now run ONLY Linux, from servers to workstations, as they found they have saved MILLIONS of rands by switching to the "free" OS and associated products. They sent the staff for some training, obviously opted for a Linux support contract, but have bought new PC's and staff training for cheaper than it would have cost them to upgrade just Windows, Office and server software, with NO PC upgrades.

So yes, I feel Linux will fairly quickly start assuming market share. There will always be die-hard Windows users, and stalwart marketing champions pushing the awesomeness of the guified DOS that is XP and its precursors, but unless M$ becoe more customer focused and less $ focused, they will lsoe shares.

Besides, Linux has a penguin, M$ has a 4 colour flag. Penguin will cr@p through your Windows and wipe it's Opensource bottom on your flag :P:D :twisted:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

UrBaN wrote:It has the lead market share because it's been around since before Noah started felling trees for his floating genetic modification device
Actually, it has market share because it figured out that users prefer an OS that is as easy to confogure and use as possible. Even if this usability comes at the cost of total stability.

This is something that Linux has only cottoned on to in recent years.

And you cannot tell me the newer fancier Linux builds are as stable as the older ones like SuSE, Mandrake, Fedora etc
UrBaN wrote:Do not be such an ignorant n000000b that you don't think the Linux developers will create support for multiple CPU's and start supporting more games :P (aside from the MANY they already do)
Ah, the land of what-ifs and maybes. This is where 'nix fanboys spend most of their lives. How dod you manage to connect the internet from there?
UrBaN wrote:One of my customers is a large financial service provider.
My smallest customer is probably bigger than your largest (e-penis inhibitor) and they all use Windows. Nyaa-nyaa!
UrBaN wrote:Besides, Linux has a penguin, M$ has a 4 colour flag. Penguin will cr@p through your Windows and wipe it's Opensource bottom on your flag
I think it is no coincidence that the Penguin is a Linux mascot.
After all, certain species of penguins are know to have a higher incidence of homosexuality than any other animal species.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

confogure and use as possible. Even if this usability comes at the cost of total stability.
By total you mean nil?
Ah, the land of what-ifs and maybes. This is where 'nix fanboys spend most of their lives. How dod you manage to connect the internet from there?
I used my Windows Mobile phone :P lol.. Of course they'll get there, maybe a bit lower than Windows, but that's only because they don't HAVE TO be able to support the latest greatest spec PC just to get their latest failure (read OS) to work.
UrBaN wrote:
One of my customers is a large financial service provider.
My smallest customer is probably bigger than your largest (e-penis inhibitor) and they all use Windows. Nyaa-nyaa!
I highly doubt that :D:P;)
I think it is no coincidence that the Penguin is a Linux mascot.
After all, certain species of penguins are know to have a higher incidence of homosexuality than any other animal species.
You probably got that lil tidbit of info from you animal pr0n collection :twisted:

I notice you have not answered my DOS question :P come on Windoze gnius, teach me the way you must :twisted:
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

jamin_za wrote: And what exactly is it going to do with those extra cores Question
Aside from run Open Office really, really quickly Question
Do Blender Renders really, really fast. Transcode and edit video maybe?

:wink:
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

lol @ Jamin....If ever I see a Pro-Linux post I know I'm bound to see J posting ;-)

J --> have you ever TRIED running a Linux distro? Have you ever witnessed the power of the command line and the beauty of compiz? Not looking for an argument, just curious....
Jamin wrote:I think it is no coincidence that the Penguin is a Linux mascot.
ROTFLMAO! :D Good one! :thumbsup:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

UrBaN wrote:You probably got that lil tidbit of info from you animal pr0n collection
Defamation of Character!!!!

The only way you will ever prove that I have animal pr0n is if your crack the 1024bit kerberos encryption on my HDD.
UrBaN wrote:I notice you have not answered my DOS question :P come on Windoze gnius, teach me the way you must :twisted:
Tell me how to easily install and play Supreme Commander on Linux and I'll show you the secret :P

You know, it's funny how 'nix fansters come up with all these barely creative names for Windows...
Winblows, Windoze, Wincr@p etc
Not many Windows users have hate-names for Linux.
Maybe that is because we don't care enough about your OS or ours to indulge in such childish foibles....

Or maybe it's because Linux users are all social outcasts and basement dwellers....

Who knows?
supertwit wrote:
jamin_za wrote: And what exactly is it going to do with those extra cores Question
Aside from run Open Office really, really quickly Question
Do Blender Renders really, really fast. Transcode and edit video maybe?

:wink:
Okay, and how often would I do this :?: Every day :?:

Thanks for pitching up tho!
AlphA wrote: have you ever TRIED running a Linux distro? Have you ever witnessed the power of the command line and the beauty of compiz? Not looking for an argument, just curious....
I took a PHP course in college and spent a bit of time using MySQL, Apache and RedHat.

Worked brilliantly! Fast and simple, once you overcame the learning curve.
That was 6 years ago and I have forgotten all of it!
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

jamin_za wrote: Okay, and how often would I do this Question Every day Question

You? I have no idea what you do in your spare time.
Me? Often.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Before i reply, someone help a n000b out and tell me how to make it say JAmjar said, as opposed to QUOTE:

lol :oops:
The only way you will ever prove that I have animal pr0n is if your crack the 1024bit kerberos encryption on my HDD.

You basially just admitted it :D besides, you use Backup PRO to do online backups in case you lose that hard earned pr0n collection. I know this 'cos i worked there :D if it wasn't for you, half of the Wincr@p users at the office would have nothing to do on weekends and would study Wincr@p manuals on the weekend..like you do.. ;) :twisted:
Tell me how to easily install and play Supreme Commander on Linux and I'll show you the secret
Rather dualboot Wincr@p and play it there :D see, Wincr@p does have 1 good use :D

Wincr@p fanbois don't have hate-names for Linux 'cos they have realised the error of their ways but don't want to admit it :D this is why you have Linux installed at home, hence you knowing what a cr@ckwh0re it is to install Supreme Commander :P BUSTED!! :P

Okay, and how often would I do this Every day

ROFLMFAO! OUCHIE!! Mika Naaiker has a very good term for that kind of response :P :twisted:
Last edited by UrBaN on 08 Apr 2008, 13:35, edited 2 times in total.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

supertwit wrote:I have no idea what you do in your spare time.
Me? Often.
You spend your free time doing blending and transcoding :?:

What a life!

Listen, bud, I know the production quality on bukkake and japscat vids are not always great. But spending hours remastering them is just really sad.

What a Linux usar!!!!
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Well....not all of it....but a fair amount thereof......

the remainder of it is spent mucking about with my toys.

:lol:

Classic jamin_za!

On Supreme Commander:Agreed. Playing games on Linux leaves much to be desired.
fbman

Post by fbman »

I use linux and windows Visita,

Yes, linux is a good OS. but I dont think they yet in a postion to challenge windows in the market place.

Why, Linux strength is its greatest weakness as well. Freedom to do change the OS to suite your needs. This leads to lack on standards. When getting a apps, you have either get the debian or rpm package, with windows its one file, that will work.

Linux needs to band behind one standard and develop that, then yes they could take on MS.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

AlphA wrote:lol @ Jamin....If ever I see a Pro-Linux post I know I'm bound to see J posting ;-)

J --> have you ever TRIED running a Linux distro? Have you ever witnessed the power of the command line and the beauty of compiz? Not looking for an argument, just curious....
Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt :wink:
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Hman

Post by Hman »

Oh, and the day that I can run windows programs and games natively in linux is the day I'll switch to linux.

AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Hman wrote:
AlphA wrote:lol @ Jamin....If ever I see a Pro-Linux post I know I'm bound to see J posting ;-)

Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt :wink:
LOL! Take note, I said the "power of the command line"

HMAN wrote:Oh, and the day that I can run windows programs and games natively in linux is the day I'll switch to linux.
Why would you want to run Windows programs when there are some good Linux equivalents that dont cost a cent.
J wrote:Worked brilliantly! Fast and simple, once you overcame the learning curve.
That was 6 years ago and I have forgotten all of it!
Maybe you should revisit Linux.....trust me, its changed a hell of a lot over the past 6years.... All we need now are a bunch of stubborn hardware vendors (like Logitech) to come to the party.....
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

supertwit wrote:Supreme Commander
i believe jamin may be referring to the total commander shell replacement for windoze... :wink:

because these are the lengths you have to go to get make the joke of an OS moderately functional.[size=0]ha[/size].. :P

@fbma: welcome :D ..

firstly, please stop by this thread and offer us a brief intro, when you get the chance :wink:

secondly, i personally prefer the linux approach... i am not forced to accept whatever bugged update is currently being pushed down the line, regardless of whether or not i need it, i can review any code prior to running it, (admittedly not something every user would do, but it's all about having the choice), and windows update comes nowhere near the power of apt-get/aptitude install/update...

frankly, aside from gaming, (tied to DX), and the draconian market penetration of office, windows is a second rate OS... through and through. it's bugged to hell and gone, as corruptible as a 12yr old in a brothel and uses most of your system in order to render a GUI.. which is pretty WTF'ble all on its own..[size=0]ha[/size].

in short, linux remains the superior product.. all those arguing for ease of use cannot disagree that mostly they're arguing for technological retardation... windows caters to stupid users because this is the market they want to develop... a stupid user will accept whatever bit of flashy malware is placed in front of it.... which is great if you're in the business of punting shoddy malware, ala M$.[size=0]hahahaha[/size]..
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Hman

Post by Hman »

I have tried linux based DTP programs and they are teh suck. Gimp while it might be useful can't touch Photoshop. The only program I use on both os' is Blender, because it is available for both.

Let's not start on game support, I did not buy my hw to play Nexuis etc. But if like I saw in a thread elsewhere if games do go towards ray tracing as opposed to rasterising, that might mean games could be ported to linux with less of a hassle.