Case mod:Project Pointless

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Case mod:Project Pointless

Post by wizardofid »

Yo guys as it says a case mod.Well not really mod but a complete rebuild.

Have some stuff lying around from when we were fixing and repairing the take away shop I have.

The idea is a wooden case.It has been done before and looks sweet.But mine does have a slighty different look in mind I'm planning on having my LCD build into the side panel.
But before can I start there is some questions that I need to ask to make sure it will look sweet and last for still awhile to come.

Well what I have lying around is 2 2X2m metal sheets some plywood.

I have a problem with the metal sheet.It will do the job well hower it stains black quickly.Does any one know of a treatment that can be used to stop stains

What would be better ply or pine for the case???
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
inf3ct10n

Post by inf3ct10n »

Wizard... just becareful when mounting your LCD onto the side of your case, it can be done, however it requires a great deal of effort as it needs good cooling and a lot of planning needs to go into it to make sure that it wont overheat and mess up. Cant wait to see what you've got planned.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

inf3ct10n wrote:Wizard... just becareful when mounting your LCD onto the side of your case, it can be done, however it requires a great deal of effort as it needs good cooling and a lot of planning needs to go into it to make sure that it wont overheat and mess up. Cant wait to see what you've got planned.
Yeah I have taken that into consideration.The idea I have is to seal the back of the panel in other words the panel would incase the screen, well not completely would of course cut a whole in the middle with a 120mm fan just in case.

The other option I had in mind instead on a tower build a desktop case with the screen on hinges.However I don't want to mod the screen it self should I need to use the screen normally....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Samaya

Re: Case mod:Project Pointless

Post by Samaya »

wizardofid wrote: Well what I have lying around is 2 2X2m metal sheets some plywood.

I have a problem with the metal sheet.It will do the job well hower it stains black quickly. Does any one know of a treatment that can be used to stop stains

It sounds like the metal sheet has some kind of residue on it. Use some thinners to clean it off and then see if it stains black again. If it doesn't go to a hardware shop and ask them for rust inhibitor that is clear (I am however not sure if you will be able to get a clear colour).

As for the wood, plywood is strong but you can't put screws into its sides. The wood would just split. So your best bet would be to use Pine.
wizardofid

Re: Case mod:Project Pointless

Post by wizardofid »

Samaya wrote:
wizardofid wrote: Well what I have lying around is 2 2X2m metal sheets some plywood.

I have a problem with the metal sheet.It will do the job well hower it stains black quickly. Does any one know of a treatment that can be used to stop stains

It sounds like the metal sheet has some kind of residue on it. Use some thinners to clean it off and then see if it stains black again. If it doesn't go to a hardware shop and ask them for rust inhibitor that is clear (I am however not sure if you will be able to get a clear colour).

As for the wood, plywood is strong but you can't put screws into its sides. The wood would just split. So your best bet would be to use Pine.
yeah thanks I did notice the plywood would chip or break.Did a small scale test and was not too happy with the end result pitty would have liked a wooden case.

I decided not to go the wooden case route.I have Instead decided to use the case I have right now and mod the LCD into that....

Dissapointed ah well!!!

If I can get my hands on MDF boards I will be happy it would work out a lot better than pine and is alot stronger.The problem is the nearest place is a 120km away and they refuse to cut the board down to size 6X6m board 8O

didn't even know they came in that size....!!

So mabye I'll pitch up with a cicular saw 2000watt of pure cutting power and cut more than a few boards to size....*hint*