Hosting a site

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
TheModDoctor

Hosting a site

Post by TheModDoctor »

Hi there, i want to host a new website, and I am currently registered at quotaless. But there I only get a sub-domain (www.themoddoctor.quotaless.co.za) and I want my own domain (www.themoddoctor.com). I read in the faq's that people also want this, and then they are told to change their nameservers to something like ns1.quotaless or something. What is this??? where do I find this place to change a nameserver? :(
Thanks for any help.
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

try hetzner for hosting... cheap.. professional

www.hetzner.co.za
Toshiba A-100 Satellite Pro - C2D - 2 GHZ - ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 256 MB - 1 gig Ram - Harmon Kardon Sound :)
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Stevo

Post by Stevo »

For your own domain you need to register it, if its available, in your name and that is gonna cost you some money unlike a free quotaless subdomain.

This site will then also need to be hosted elsewhere as they will not host your own domain for you .......well not for free at least.

I have also used hetzner in the past and i can recommend them as they are really good and provide good support too. (even for the noobs)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

My vote goes for www.elitehost.co.za.

[OT]
WiK1d, have you received any weird emails from co.za regarding suspension of your domain? I have one domain hosted with serv.co.za, and now I get an email saying it will be suspended soon due to non-payment. I know my invoice with serv.co.za is up to date, so I was just wondering what that's all about.
[/OT]
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

schase wrote:[OT]
WiK1d, have you received any weird emails from co.za regarding suspension of your domain? I have one domain hosted with serv.co.za, and now I get an email saying it will be suspended soon due to non-payment. I know my invoice with serv.co.za is up to date, so I was just wondering what that's all about.
[/OT]
Nope, none at all. Just one that said I'm late with my payment :\ :oops:
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Hetzner is great and stable with very good prices but beware that on the PHP5 hosting grid you are very limited with PHP.ini settings. They refuse to allow anything but the standard.

So if you believe in best practice and object orientated programming stay away if you need custom php settings

For my site and clients I use serve. For work I use Hetzner.

Both are great companies.
CranialBlaze

Post by CranialBlaze »

WiK1d wrote:
[/OT]
I used to host with serv for over a year until my websites became a hackers playing field, i had my websites being hacked almost weekly, simple things, easy to replace until the day the hacked the e-mail account and sent our over 20k spam mails, for this serv suspended my account, thats was hosting about 6 sites, without informing me, when i called to complain they informed of the hack, they then restored my account, but due to software compatibility issues the account was reset completely.

Even more entertaining was that after their upgrade of cpanel, which had been about 8 months prior they had not been able to make a single backup, as the script they used for backups did not work with, i think it was cpanel 11, needless to say i canceled my account that very day and it took me over 3 months to restore all those websites, it literally was over 500mb of web files that they practically nuked.

I am afraid for me it is just too risky to deal with a company that is unable to provide any form of stable backup, to think for 8 months, not a single backup was created and they did nothing about it???

You tell me what you would do???
Life - The Longest Game you will EVER Play
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

I am also currently using Serv and so far had no problems with them...

I don't host big stuff (company wise), but I do host files and images...

There are obviously better options available, but until I do major hosting they are doing just fine...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

My only gripe with Serv so far is that--to the best of my knowledge--they don't offer a debit order facility. At least not the last time I checked. I find it a real schlep to have to transfer money to them myself every month. It is so much easier setting up a debit order with Elitehost.

Elitehost, on the other hand, have a Skype support feature, but since I have added that address to my Skype profile, I have yet to see it without a "Do Not Disturb" status. Don't quite know why they put it on there if they're never available for live support. That being said, Elitehost has always offered quicker service to me than Serv. But that's just me personally.
eraser

Re: Hosting a site

Post by eraser »

TheModDoctor wrote:Hi there, i want to host a new website, and I am currently registered at quotaless. But there I only get a sub-domain (www.themoddoctor.quotaless.co.za) and I want my own domain (www.themoddoctor.com). I read in the faq's that people also want this, and then they are told to change their nameservers to something like ns1.quotaless or something. What is this??? where do I find this place to change a nameserver? :(
Thanks for any help.
First look for availability on the domain name you want, then register it.

During the register it asks you to put in at least two nameservers, here use the nameservers that are supplied by quotaless.

All the other details must be entered in such a way that you dont mind people seeing, because remember, the registration details of a domain are viewable by anyone.

Then pay your domain and viola!!

EDIT: I use serv for all our company websites and i have no issues. Kyle is very kind and helpful.
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

CranialBlaze wrote:
WiK1d wrote:
[/OT]
I used to host with serv for over a year until my websites became a hackers playing field, i had my websites being hacked almost weekly, simple things, easy to replace until the day the hacked the e-mail account and sent our over 20k spam mails, for this serv suspended my account, thats was hosting about 6 sites, without informing me, when i called to complain they informed of the hack, they then restored my account, but due to software compatibility issues the account was reset completely.

Even more entertaining was that after their upgrade of cpanel, which had been about 8 months prior they had not been able to make a single backup, as the script they used for backups did not work with, i think it was cpanel 11, needless to say i canceled my account that very day and it took me over 3 months to restore all those websites, it literally was over 500mb of web files that they practically nuked.

I am afraid for me it is just too risky to deal with a company that is unable to provide any form of stable backup, to think for 8 months, not a single backup was created and they did nothing about it???

You tell me what you would do???

I know for a fact that Serv perform daily backups. Also, the fact that your site fell victim to regular hacks indicates an issue with a script you were running. None of the servers have ever been hacked and undergo external audit every so often. Sites that have been defaced were done so due to sloppy coding practises and you can hardly blame the hosting provider for this.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

I'm also on serv.co.za and have absolutely no issues with them.

I have about 4 domains registered with them and everything's peachy

:biggrin:
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.