Lightning damage

Any hardware related topics go here.
Thomasac11

Lightning damage

Post by Thomasac11 »

I had a direct lightning strike.Fortunately trip switches prevented most damage.Unfortunately one pc was severely damaged via the adsl router.I have replaced the mobo and power supply but still do not get any sign of life.Should i continue replacing components such as cpu then gpu then hdd or is there another way to test what the problem is?Any help would be appreciated.

Thomas :(
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

wow. i am so glad it neva happen to me. sowi to hear man. good luck gettin it fixed.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

Test the components on working machines
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

ja, direct to the point but unfortunately pcychowit hit the nail on the head.
But, if you have insurance you can claim for a full new PC, done it plenty.
Thomasac11

lightning damage

Post by Thomasac11 »

Thanks for the comments i appreciate them.
Thomas :o
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

alot of ppl unplug ther adsl modems/routers during lightning but dont remove the phone line, this is a common problem. dont forget to remove the phone line!!!
Toshiba A-100 Satellite Pro - C2D - 2 GHZ - ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 256 MB - 1 gig Ram - Harmon Kardon Sound :)
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

Synthesis wrote:But, if you have insurance you can claim for a full new PC, done it plenty.
I think my pc is going to be struck by lightning in the next storm :lol:
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

zerubabel wrote:
Synthesis wrote:But, if you have insurance you can claim for a full new PC, done it plenty.
lol, I didn't mean it like that dude :lol: <Text Removed>

~ Though I appreciate the sentiment I disagree with posting this solution on a public forum. Apart from the legal mess it could lead to you could also make it more difficult for people with valid claims to get paid in future. - Y0da
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Synthesis wrote:
zerubabel wrote:
<Text Removed> - Y0da
I'm not sure the mods or admins will really approve of you actively promoting ways of defrauding insurance companies.
eraser

Post by eraser »

viceroy wrote:
Synthesis wrote:
zerubabel wrote:
<Text Removed> - Y0da
I'm not sure the mods or admins will really approve of you actively promoting ways of defrauding insurance companies.
But he mentions that its only for experimental and entertainment purposes. :)
TheMartyr

Post by TheMartyr »

i know people who have done this.
it was dodgy. i wouldnt recommend that anyone try it.
Hello im a signature
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

eraser wrote:
viceroy wrote:
Synthesis wrote:
zerubabel wrote:
<Text Removed> - Y0da
But he mentions that its only for experimental and entertainment purposes. :)
So if I give out instuctions on how to hack some system or software, and say it's only experimental or for entertainment that makes it ok? I think not.

edit - ps. Thanks Yoda :D
eraser

Post by eraser »

The info is out there anyway, its up to the person to use it or not...

If you do then you must live with the consequences... :wink:
Dont blame the provider of the info...
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

eraser wrote:The info is out there anyway, its up to the person to use it or not...

Well PCF has rules on providing illegal info on the site...hence removal
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

The info on robbing banks is also out there... Providing them information here on which bank has the most cash at what time is still considered being aprty to the crime...

Don't help them. You are making it easy for MORE people to have to 'live with the consequences' as you so put it...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
eraser

Post by eraser »

viceroy wrote:
eraser wrote:The info is out there anyway, its up to the person to use it or not...

Since when is shocking your pc illegal?

All information is open to interpretation. If someone posts how to rob a bank then you can choose what to do with that info. If you are actually stupid enough to listen to advice like that from a forum then you must live with the consequences. Freedom of speech and all that...
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

eraser wrote:
viceroy wrote:

Since when is shocking your pc illegal?

All information is open to interpretation. If someone posts how to rob a bank then you can choose what to do with that info. If you are actually stupid enough to listen to advice like that from a forum then you must live with the consequences. Freedom of speech and all that...
Shocking your PC with the intent of defrauding your insurance company is illegal
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Don't be daft. Shocking your pc is not illegal, encouraging people to defraud insurance companies is. Like it has been said many times before, what you do in life is your business. What you discuss on this forum is another matter.
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Ok, lets all find that thread where the dude washes he components in sunlight liquid and remove it please, pretty much the same thing isnt it...? nd lets stop watching the news where they tell you in detail how armed transit vans get hijacked.... the list goes on. My suggestion was nothing to do with defrauding insurance companies. Without any more detail it seriously is a nice experimetn if you have old hardware lying around. Same as sticking a fly in a microwave kinda thing....
eraser

Post by eraser »

Exactly how i interpreted it...

Use it, dont use it. Its completely your choice if and how to use that info...
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Synthesis wrote:
zerubabel wrote:
lol, I didn't mean it like that dude :lol: <Text Removed>

~ Though I appreciate the sentiment I disagree with posting this solution on a public forum. Apart from the legal mess it could lead to you could also make it more difficult for people with valid claims to get paid in future. - Y0da
Thank you for leading me on the right path towards the light oh short shrivled and wrinkled one. I'm just surprised to see you also on that path. :lol:
Zana

Re: Lightning damage

Post by Zana »

Thomasac11 wrote:I had a direct lightning strike.Fortunately trip switches prevented most damage.Unfortunately one pc was severely damaged via the adsl router.I have replaced the mobo and power supply but still do not get any sign of life.Should i continue replacing components such as cpu then gpu then hdd or is there another way to test what the problem is?Any help would be appreciated.

Shalom There, well I think eveyone around the world is having a hazzardess problem happen to there PC. Lightning is ****** as its unpredictable where it would go. At least the trip switches saved your PC exploding into 100 pieces. The motherboard could be fried, round about where the power from Power pack connects to motherboard, also check your drives , place them in other PCs for a while and run a disk scan on them even if they run o.k, as possible loss of Data could be possible. CD drives can be tested as well. Also test any other hardware connected to your machine (though this would get the less damage, but partial damage is possible) If you replaced with new power supply, Check the motherboard.. also check the network card, if yours in onboard then it will be motherboard. You can test if you have similar hardware by swapping CPUs and motherboards, but be CAREFULL ((^_^)), and weare antistatic this is a must when handeling and even installing a new CPU, even if they do spray them with antistatic stuff nowdays. If you dont have an antistatic bracelet, make one, but using a 1/6 of a meter copper ribbom which will be used to fold around your arm, then a coper wire connected to an ordinary 3 pronged plug, ,but dont dont turn on at the wall! :-)
But if you have the bucks, get new CPU+motherboard , and you would have to get new memory as well, since they change the slots after so many years, its now DDR3 now.
Love and hugs
Danielle
((^_^))
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
Zana

Re: Lightning damage

Post by Zana »

Thomasac11 wrote:I had a direct lightning strike.Fortunately trip switches prevented most damage.Unfortunately one pc was severely damaged via the adsl router.I have replaced the mobo and power supply but still do not get any sign of life.Should i continue replacing components such as cpu then gpu then hdd or is there another way to test what the problem is?Any help would be appreciated.

Also some advice once you got eveything working, or new and running...
I recommend a wireless network card to connect to ADSL router wirelessly... so when the lightning hits the phone line, only the router gets fried.
Also when you not using your PC unless you hosting your website on it, turn it off , it prolongs its life span, as well as keeps it free from that power glitch if there is any and also from storm:-).
and a whole lot of security factors that can follow...

Love and hugs
Danielle
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com