No-Name Case Mod

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
UrBaN

No-Name Case Mod

Post by UrBaN »

Hey Guys,

So, i fetched that chassis i mentioned in another topic, and I have decided that I'm going to be starting a new mod project.

Before I post any details etc. I want to make it clear that this is my first mod and I'm not all that handy with tools etc. so any advice/help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I currently don't have a camera and my camera phone recently died, so I don't have any photos to show you, but I'll borrow one from work and take some today.

However, I took the case apart completely yesterday and already I can see it's going to have some Dae_Ja_Voo plexi goodness in it. YAY! It has two brand-new -looking blue LED fans already, a 120 and a 90 so that's a bonus. Lighting is going to be blue (either CCFL or LED, not sure yet) with glossy black and red paint job.

I'll try do a sketchup of my plans and post for your critiques.

Lata
Urban
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Cant wait to see some pics :wink:
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

LOL

DAE_JA_VOO plexi goodness. Hahaha. Thanks man :P

Good luck with the mod.

And don't think that just because it's your first that it's gonna suck. I'll openly say that my first mod DEFINITELY didn't suck (i'm not being vane, i just think that the mod looked good in the end, and i'm allowed to like my own work :P ). Obviously there are one or two things that i think i should have done differently, but overall it was good.

If you're committed and devoted enough, you can do the best mod the world has ever seen ;) (i still need to do one of those :P )
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Will post tomorrow - the pc is currently in little grey pieces - not muchto see but I'll take some premod pics anyway.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Thanks for the support DAE :D

It won't suck, it just won't be as badass as your sexy lil pipe-infested badass!

Hey how about I borrow Epiphany for the next, oh, 6 months or so? :D:D:D:D;)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

UrBaN wrote:Thanks for the support DAE :D

It won't suck, it just won't be as badass as your sexy lil pipe-infested badass!

Hey how about I borrow Epiphany for the next, oh, 6 months or so? :D:D:D:D;)
LOL, you can borrow it as long as you build a new reservoir for it :P
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

YAY :D *googles wtf a reservoir is and how it works*

ok wait i'll borroww next week let me learn first :P
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

UrBaN wrote:YAY :D *googles wtf a reservoir is and how it works*
ROFL!!!! :lol: :lol:

You've much to learn in this field, my child. But don't worry, we'll teach you well :P

And don't worry about the res, i'll rather build it myself :P
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Haha Ya I wouldn't trust me with it either :D I'll get there though. (BTW I do know what a res is and what it does, just not the intricacies, specs etc) :oops:

Dae you have msn? if so please add me... urban963@hotmail.com
elviz

Post by elviz »

get on with it then!.......im planing my own lil mod....good luck........i`ll be watching!
3.2Ghz Pentium CPU,2GB DDR2 800,ECS mainboard,MSI nx6800 PCI -XGraphics,a coupla 80 gb hdd`s.........eish ...was it even worth mentioning?
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Yup, stop hitting on Dae and mod :twisted:
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Lol i wasn't hitting on Dae :O he's just a good modder and I need help. Bout the only modding I've done thus far is writing on my space case at school :D
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

UrBaN wrote:Dae you have msn? if so please add me... urban963@hotmail.com
Sorry dude, no MSN. The only IM i use is GTalk, and i hardly ever go on. I absolutely hate IM.

If you need help, you can PM me or email me ;)
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Yea :\ Ett is like NEVAR on gtalk. Haha. (Hopes he doesn't ask for your cell too :P )
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I used to IM all the time, but i feel that get NOTHING else done when i'm chatting, so now i avoid it like the plague :P

I know that my friends that i always USED to talk to like Mike and the myriad of other forum members here that i used to chat to still love me though :P
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

I don't want his phone number :D Oki I'll email you if I have questions.

I have right now actually. I'm going to be spraying the chassis obviously. I'm sure the best way to do this is to strip it entirely so that it is in all seperate pieces (ie hdd drive bay seperate to main rectangular, seperate to PSU cover, sperate to everything else). This involves drilling out the rivets. Would the best way to put the thing back together be to rivet again, or is there another/better method?

Also, where in JHB can i get UV reactive vinyl? I think i might cover the clear alien head plexi with uv reactive vinyl?? Comments? Otherwise It'll be fullon LED or CCFL...suggestions?
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:still love me though :P
LIES!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

UrBaN wrote:Would the best way to put the thing back together be to rivet again, or is there another/better method?
Rivets will work perfectly. For the rivets that will be openly visible at all times, you might want to use nice screws instead of rivets ;)

UrBaN wrote:Also, where in JHB can i get UV reactive vinyl? I think i might cover the clear alien head plexi with uv reactive vinyl?? Comments? Otherwise It'll be fullon LED or CCFL...suggestions?
uuuuuhhhhhhgggg... UV :(

lol.

No idea where you can get UV stuff. I've never liked UV so i have no idea where to get it, except P-PCs.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

nothing like a vote of confidence :P

Well i'll scout the net a bit and come up witha better design. If I went the LED route, What would that entail exactly (in terms of draw on the PSU and wiring)? Obviously there should be no heat generation.

Otherwise CCFL? Though the idea of hiding the tube's is abhorrent.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Well, LEDs are easy. You can follow the LED wiring guide i wrote for PCF a few months ago for basic wiring. You can find that guide HERE.

CCFLs can work too, but LEDs are just nicer :D
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

OK :D THANKS :D

Now i'm gonna piss you off and buy UV LEDS :P
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

LOL, what other people do in their mods will have no effect on me, so do what you want. As long as YOU like it in the end, that's what matters ;)

BTW, good luck finding UV LEDs in SA ;) IIRC, they're either not available here, or they're VERY expensive.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Ya i noticed that. The UV was just an idea as I have UV reactive crap lying around. Blue LEDs it is. What's a typical water installation cost? So far my New PC is costing upward of 13k with aircooling...would a 2k water solution be worth the effort?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Depends what 2K solution you're talking about. the ONLY WC kit that's any good at 2K is the Swiftech Apex Ultra. That kit is DEFINITELY worth it. You can also get the Apex Ultra + which will cool your chipset and GPU as well. Other than those 2 kits, stay away from any WC in SA.

(unless watercooling.co.za actually start rendering some kind of service, which won't be happening any time soon, apparently)
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

lmfao.. that'll be some months down the line so we'll tackle that issue later. YAY home soon, then photos like a mofo :D

Will post photos of the case in its current form and I'll try some sketch up goodness. Question, is there a site where u can download sketchup imagges of pc components instead of having to draw EVERYTHING?