Logitech G15 Keyboard Mod (Update 18/02)

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
DAE_JA_VOO

Logitech G15 Keyboard Mod (Update 18/02)

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

How's it guys.

schase sent me his Logitech G15 Keyboard for some modding love. For those of you who don't know, he's got a green theme with his setup at home. His case has green fans and lights and what not, and the G15 he has kinda ruins that because it's all blue. So, he sent it to me to see if i can intimidate the G15 into making it's LEDs green. Unfortunately i couldn't intimidate it, so i have to solder new LEDs in place :P

I'm not finished yet, but here's some progress:

The stock G15:

Then i started pulling it apart. First the frame and the LCD came off:

Then i removed the actual keyboard from the bottom cover:

Now, if you've always wondered how the G15 works (the LEDs, i mean), this should explain it to you:

If you still can't figure it out, what happens is the G15 only has a FEW LEDs, and they shine directly into the edge of a thick piece of plexi, which then distributes all the light. Very cool indeed :D

So, let the modding begin. I needed to know how much voltage these LEDs are getting, so i soldered two wires on to the wires powering the LEDs:

I then turned on the G15 for some testing:

Using these wires i measured the voltage - 4.4V. schase sent a bunch of green LEDs with the KB to me, and i figured i'd see if they'd work (i know nothing about the LEDs he sent me). I soldered one onto the two wires i used to test the voltage:

So, these LEDs WILL work, but that one has only been on for about 5 minutes and it's REALLY hot, so i'm gonna go get some other LEDs quick.

Let me know what you guys think :D

Oh, and BTW, this is the first of my new watermarked pics :D
Last edited by DAE_JA_VOO on 18 Feb 2008, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

I must say, I am surprised by the brightness of the green LED's, seeing as it is actually quite bright around it...

Can not wait to see when this is finished...

Are you going to touch the LCD panel as well with some different backlighting or something, or not?
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

If the LED is hot then you're pumping way too much voltage into them and you'll need to either get 5V LED's or dumb down the voltage with a resistor.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

Thats very cool. I can't wait to see the finished product. I'm loving the Watermark as well, not too distracting which is good
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

If this is successful I'm changing mine to white!

Can't wait for the end result!
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

WiK1d wrote:If this is successful I'm changing mine to white!

Can't wait for the end result!
Of course it will be successful :)

White sounds cool...but I love mine in blue...since thats what my whole PC is :D
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Slasher wrote:Are you going to touch the LCD panel as well with some different backlighting or something, or not?
I want to do something like that, but i have no idea how the LCD is lit (haven't opened it up yet). If i can't change the actual lighting, i can just put a transparent green film OVER the LCD, which will make it green :)

viceroy wrote:If the LED is hot then you're pumping way too much voltage into them and you'll need to either get 5V LED's or dumb down the voltage with a resistor.
Yep. That's exactly why i just went and bought other LEDs and resistors :D

Vampyre_2099 wrote:I'm loving the Watermark as well, not too distracting which is good
Great! Thanks man! :D

WiK1d wrote:If this is successful I'm changing mine to white!
You've read my mind! I just got home with a handful of white LEDs :D
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Okay, i dunno what the hell i was thinking but i bought REGULAR LEDs... not the super bright ones. Ai... so, needless to say, they were useless. The white ones i bought for myself were super bright. OMW they look fantastic:

Now i'm too lazy to get in my car and go get super bright green ones :(
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Go get them!!! :)
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

Come on, quickly, I wanna see the finished product!!!
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Now i'm too lazy to get in my car and go get super bright green ones :(
So use the resistor like viceroy suggested. I'm surprised that the ones I sent are too hot, because they come from another keyboard as it is.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Okay, just got back, they don't have the LED's i'm after. I'm gonna have to use the ones schase sent with. I hope my resistors are ok for them. I'm sure it'll be fine though :D

schase wrote:I'm surprised that the ones I sent are too hot, because they come from another keyboard as it is.
Well, that KB might have a resistor on somewhere that drops the voltage before it gets to the LEDs ;)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Okay, just got back, they don't have the LED's i'm after. I'm gonna have to use the ones schase sent with. I hope my resistors are ok for them. I'm sure it'll be fine though :D

schase wrote:I'm surprised that the ones I sent are too hot, because they come from another keyboard as it is.
Well, that KB might have a resistor on somewhere that drops the voltage before it gets to the LEDs ;)
Well, you pretty much have the entire PC board of that particular keyboard with you there (or at least that's what I sent). Can't you see if there's a resistor somewhere along the line?

I figured you'd have trouble getting superbright green LEDs, which is why I sent the ones I did. I couldn't find the superbright greens anywhere around here, so I suspected you might not find it anywhere near you.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Do you need help?

[Ghost buster theme ] "Who you gonna call?"[/Ghost busters theme]

LOL :wink: :wave:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Samaya wrote:Do you need help?

[Ghost buster theme ] "Who you gonna call?"[/Ghost busters theme]

LOL :wink: :wave:
LOL!!!

Actually, for ONCE, i think there is something electronics related that i can handle :P

Thanks though dude. If i get stuck, you'll be the first person i call :D

Okay, i had a look at the LEDs you sent me schase (dude can i use your name here?). If i run them without a resistor, they get boiling hot, if i put on the resistors i have, they're not NEARLY bright enough. I do know that communica PROBABLY has 3mm super bright green LEDs, so if you're willing to wait, i can go and get some next week (i'm mad busy this week). How's that?

Apparently these 3mm super bright LEDs are quite new. The white ones i got from Electronics123 were from the first batch they've ever had.

Anyway, here are some more shots of how the G15 lights itself up so beautifully:

Lights off:

I might just do mine just now with white :D
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

very nice...

Hmmm I like mine in blue but what I would like to do is add some of these super thin leds to the top part of assembly. Then i will get a proper backlit K/B where all the keys are lit up properly...

PS: DJV when is the new G15 going to get modded to blue leds? :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Okay, i had a look at the LEDs you sent me schase (dude can i use your name here?).
Of course you can.
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:If i run them without a resistor, they get boiling hot, if i put on the resistors i have, they're not NEARLY bright enough. I do know that communica PROBABLY has 3mm super bright green LEDs, so if you're willing to wait, i can go and get some next week (i'm mad busy this week). How's that?
M'kay. I'm not in any mad rush for it. Chances that I would be able to get it from you before next week are very slim anyway, so if you think you can get them next week then let's wait.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Okay great,thanks Stuart :)
Anakha56 wrote:PS: DJV when is the new G15 going to get modded to blue leds? :P
Well, i don't have one :( And i doubt anyone else is gonna be willing to send me theirs :(

But let me see if i can get one from one of my sponsors. That shouldn't be too much of a problem. If i can get one, i'll start modding it ASAP :D
badguy

Post by badguy »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Okay great,thanks Stuart :)
Well, i don't have one :( And i doubt anyone else is gonna be willing to send me theirs :(

But let me see if i can get one from one of my sponsors. That shouldn't be too much of a problem. If i can get one, i'll start modding it ASAP :D
Little time ago in English spam thread I told you that i want to make a keyboard led mod just using a normal keyboard you sad it could be possible because of the G15 does have leds but i cant get leds no where ??? so can you make a guide for us .if i get leds i will make one
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

damn another fine idea for a mod...

man that thing even looks so hawt standard...

that lighting is such an awesome idea... one can really implement it into something big...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

Hey Dae!

(my G15 mod... sorry about the pic i just took it quick!)

BTW, if you had a better look you would notice that the G15 led boards have built in surface mount resistors which are fine!, the reason that green LED got so hot is you didnt have ANY current limiting resistor the way you wired it up, and it was prob getting like 150mA @ 4.4v!!!!!! which will kill it in no time!!! but like i said the built in resistors are perfect, so just swap out the LED's!

oh and also, dont bother taking the LCD apart, i did and all it is a sealed unit, so you cant change the lighting! but like you said green film will work.

good luck man

:wink:

Rob~!
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

That's what I'd like to know, hasn't the new one been replaced with red/ orange LEDs? Image
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Oh, and BTW, this is the first of my new watermarked pics :D
It's pretty cool, do you have to do that manually for each pic or do you have a program that applies it to a whole bunch of pictures for you?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Awesome, thanks Rob! I'll test these resistors tonight :D

badguy wrote:Little time ago in English spam thread I told you that i want to make a keyboard led mod just using a normal keyboard you sad it could be possible because of the G15 does have leds but i cant get leds no where ??? so can you make a guide for us .if i get leds i will make one
Well, doing a mod like this with a regular keyboard wont be possible.I think you've got me confused with someone else. The keys need to have transparent letters for it to work ;)

Xiphan wrote:
It's pretty cool, do you have to do that manually for each pic or do you have a program that applies it to a whole bunch of pictures for you?
I have an app that batch processes my images :D
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Wow Dae - I cant wait to see this one get done :) I love the G15 and so wish I had one. Blue will be perfect for me though :wink:

Awesome watermarks :D Very very professional :D
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Xiphan wrote:
I have an app that batch processes my images :D
I'm guessing it's probably an app for Linux then? :?

Otherwise any news of a possible mod to the new G15? :)
Last edited by Xiphan on 13 Feb 2008, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.