Definative [N00B] Guide

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
RobThePyro

Definative [N00B] Guide

Post by RobThePyro »

Hey Guys

Well Iv been looking for a really good Linux beginners (N00B) guide but i have failed to find a really good one so far...

What I decided we need is to ask you Linux "Experts" for a basic all round guide for someone who wants to try out Linux alongside their Windows install (I.E. not jump away from Windows immediately...)

SO, lets assume everyone can partition a disk and boot from CD and has basic PC skills etc etc. What we need is:

Whats the best(In your Opinion obviously since there are so many...) all round Linux build for the beginner to start out with(coming from windows and without any major requirements besides normal online internet functionality, email, office utility's etc ) (I hear good things about Ubuntu?)
&
What 3rd party applications to install(i.e.web browser(Mozilla, etc) open office, media player(Ipod compatibility?), anti-virus/firewall, just general useful applications(be able to do all the stuff the normal windows guy can do?))
&
Anything else you guys think is necessary to install on a new Linux installation and what(and how to) setup necessary stuff(network etc)

It doesn't have to be super detailed or anything, Perhaps if you could just provide some links to stuff you would install and what it does/why? etc etc.

Thanks guys, hopefully a few informative posts could help out not only me as well as many other people! :wink:

Rob~!

(P.S. i know someone is going to "moan" about googleing it BUT the problem here is not so much being lazy to google but infact the sheer wealth of information on linux makes it hard to find just what your looking for... and remember, we were all born N00Bs! (despite what your mom tells you!!! :twisted: :wink: ))
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

RobThePyro wrote:Whats the best(In your Opinion obviously since there are so many...) all round Linux build for the beginner to start out with(coming from windows and without any major requirements besides normal online internet functionality, email, office utility's etc ) (I hear good things about Ubuntu?)
Ubuntu would go down well, with any person starting out with Linux. I've heard really good things about PCLinuxOS

You can download them here:
Ubuntu
PCLinux OS

RobThePyro wrote:What 3rd party applications to install(i.e.web browser(Mozilla, etc) open office, media player(Ipod compatibility?), anti-virus/firewall, just general useful applications(be able to do all the stuff the normal windows guy can do?))
Ubuntu comes with FF and Evolution Mail installed, so you dont have to worry about those, they all standard. Usefull apps I would say:

Amarok - media player
VLC
K3B - CD/DVD Writing Software
aMSN - MSN client

RobThePyro wrote:Anything else you guys think is necessary to install on a new Linux installation and what(and how to) setup necessary stuff(network etc)
Pretty much everything that is needed to run a good Linux distro comes with Ubuntu. Majority networks cards are picked up automatically, never had any issues with wireless etc etc

The best guide for you, would to be to post back here with questions
Hope that post helps you along a little bit
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I've been wanting to put together i nice Ubuntu guide for ages now but i just don't have the time :(
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

Thanks g0ldback some good advice!

and Dae, PUT DOWN THE PIECE OF PLEXI FOR 15MIN AND WRITE A GUIDE OK!!!! :twisted: :wink: , just 15min ok? its not that hard, even for some one with obvious perspex OCD

loljk :wink:
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

Ubuntu is a good starting distro, although for me I prefer the KDE interface, so I prefer kubuntu

available at Kubuntu
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

Ubuntu :D

I was also scared at first and was totally clueless (DAE can testify to that) :roll:

Ubuntu has a great community and once you get the hang of it its verry fun!

I spend most of my time in ubuntu exept gaming!

A really great OS and copiz is great! :D
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

RobThePyro wrote:and Dae, PUT DOWN THE PIECE OF PLEXI FOR 15MIN AND WRITE A GUIDE OK!!!! :twisted: :wink: , just 15min ok? its not that hard, even for some one with obvious perspex OCD
ROFL!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

Dude it's not MODDING that's chowing my time, it's studies. I'm doing Cisco 8O

But yes, i'll do my best and see if i can compile something :)
flarkit

Post by flarkit »

Ubuntu 7.10's a great start IMO, if you're still willing to put up with a few scripts or editing a config file or 2. There are excellent guides and helpful people around. It's stable, pretty and easy enough to use.

If you'd rather be assisted more by the OS and have a smaller jump from Windows, then grab PCLinuxOS.

Ubuntu's my preference because I've fiddled with Linux often, but someone wanting to "wet their toes" for now, should probably try PCLinuxOS.

There's also Linux Mint, which essentially Ubuntu with more automated configuration.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I really think Ubuntu would be a great start, because there are so many of us here that use it, so if you get stuck, you just ask here and one of us can help.

Rob, install Ubuntu. Once you're inside, think about something you want, like, say for example, a new theme. Ask here, and we'll tell you.
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

I myself haven't tried PCLinuxOS, first dabbled with Red Hat 5, Suse 8, Fedora Core 3 back in the day, and if any were as user friendly as Ubuntu is now; the world would have been a much better place.

Ubuntu 7.10 is the way to go IMO, like g0ldback mentioned the following software is very usefull:

Amarok - media player
VLC
K3B - CD/DVD Writing Software / I prefer Gnomebaker
aMSN - MSN client / Pidgin, which comes with the distro

I've had difficulty setting up networks before in the past, trying to get domain logons etc. running, which is now finally under my thumb, you will need to use samba for any shares that you will create, for basic networks, the UI will give you tools for sharing folders easily enough though.

I also use squid for a proxy at the office and busy investigating some of the firewalls on offer and integrating a mail server. I'm running on a VIA PC 1.5GHz with 512mb RAM and despite the low specs I can do everything as stated above and run a VM of XP for testing quite happily :D

If you need help with anything, just PM I'll do my best to assist.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I actually hate Amarok. It's got that same fixation with playlists that winamp has, and i hate that. I actually just use rhythmbox for my media, which is built into 7.10 :D
simmy

Post by simmy »

Since Ubuntu Ultimate Gamer Edition is on this months PCF DVD, this is the ULTIMATE UBUNTU GUIDE! *click*

Sauce for other Ubuntu versions: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Main_Page
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

simmy wrote:Since Ubuntu Ultimate Gamer Edition is on this months PCF DVD, this is the ULTIMATE UBUNTU GUIDE! *click*

Yeah but that's Edgy, which is old.We now use Gutsy ;)
And rob, avoid Ubuntu ultimate. It's the linux equivalent of Windows. So bloated and full of crap that you'll never use.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ok, I have been interested in Linux for a while now too..just never been brave enough to try it out. Question:

I use Photoshop and Freehand and 3DSMax... is there support for these aps and if not are there comparable ones for Linux?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

GreyWolf wrote:ok, I have been interested in Linux for a while now too..just never been brave enough to try it out. Question:

I use Photoshop and Freehand and 3DSMax... is there support for these aps and if not are there comparable ones for Linux?
No... i think for those you'll have to stay with windows. I'm speaking under correction though...
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

thanks man...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
simmy

Post by simmy »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
simmy wrote:Since Ubuntu Ultimate Gamer Edition is on this months PCF DVD, this is the ULTIMATE UBUNTU GUIDE! *click*

And rob, avoid Ubuntu ultimate. It's the linux equivalent of Windows. So bloated and full of crap that you'll never use.
did you read my post? :?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

simmy wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:

did you read my post? :?
I did, yes. I was just emphasising that that guide is for edgy, not for gutsy ;)