WinXP SP3

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

The only issue I've, well actually a friend of mine, has come across is when trying to install the SP and you have a specific MS security update already installed that will cause similar problems (endless rebooting, failer to boot, etc). Other than that I'm just waiting to get the final release as I'm still using a RC. :(
Domino_PhoeniX
Permanently Banned

Post by Domino_PhoeniX »

ive experience no rebooting problems on my pc. i actually saw a performance increase (sp3 > sp2)compared to another drive with sp2 and same driver set.
Amd Phenom 9600+
Msi K9A2 Platinum
Sapphire Ati Radeon HD 3850 512mb
Antec Neo Power 500 watt
2x 1GB Corsair Dominator 1066
Coolermaster CM690
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Any visual changes in SP3?
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
Mori

Post by Mori »

DeanMF wrote:Any visual changes in SP3?
Nope, none whatsoever... Most of the changes you wont see.

On a side note..
Integrated sp3 on my sp2 cd along with IE7 as per nlite forums,
everything installed perfectly, till where I logged onto my
system. Everyting was extremely slow.
Tried to install sp2 again, but got all sorts of errors.
Scanned the HDD, found a few errors, fixed them.
Will let you guys know when I try again.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

DeanMF wrote:Any visual changes in SP3?
The official word is None at all
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

And obviosuly Skin and theme software for windows goes out the window.
boeppens

Post by boeppens »

I installed SP3 on my AMD based system and so far the following "problems" occured.
IE7 were replaced with IE6
Some of the files of DX9 "disappeared"
Windows now takes about 3 minutes to shut down.
The sytem appears to be quite slower
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

boeppens wrote:I heard that SP3 causes endless-reboot problems on AMD-based PC 's. Did anyone experienced the same problem?
I had it with two machines, endless reboots. Luckily there was a fix, boot off XP disc, start the repair console and replace the offending .dll that was causing the reboots. But, this was also a RC version of SP3 so I'm pretty sure in the release it was sorted.

--> these were two completely different machines, one AMD the other Intel so not sure what the common denominator was.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Nope.....no reboot problems.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Zana

Post by Zana »

Cupis wrote:And obviosuly Skin and theme software for windows goes out the window.
good one ,lol , you think they at least add in Windows Media center's energy blue, to make it feel new...and get users excited and freeding out...lol
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
marduke

Post by marduke »

Zana wrote:
Cupis wrote:And obviosuly Skin and theme software for windows goes out the window.
good one ,lol , you think they at least add in Windows Media center's energy blue, to make it feel new...and get users excited and freeding out...lol
You need to look at it from MS's point of view, they wanna sell Vista, if they make XP look new, then people would rather buy XP, it's more familiar, is more campatible with existing apps etc. Then Vista won't sell. It's basic business, you don't improve your old product when you wanna sell a new one.
Treeoflife

Post by Treeoflife »

if u want dx10, try google, ive used it before on xp, its cool but slooooow
Zana

Post by Zana »

marduke wrote:
Zana wrote:
You need to look at it from MS's point of view, they wanna sell Vista, if they make XP look new, then people would rather buy XP, it's more familiar, is more campatible with existing apps etc. Then Vista won't sell. It's basic business, you don't improve your old product when you wanna sell a new one.
Well MS's point of view is rather narrow, and smelly like Scruge from Christmass Tale...because the XP has a better skin , does not necessarily mean people will by XP rather than Vista... but Vista is still a bucket of loosly coupled bolts... Well its this kind of thinking that is going to end the world... "money" instead of "life and functionality and logic" and love... I think Microsoft still needed to work on Vista and its a half complete product anyway...realy the whole thing is stupid...why in the first place did they not make Vista compatable with existing apps? i see no logic in that... just lust for green rectangled paper ... :roll:

i dont know if its a rumour or what, but Microsoft will pull the plug on XP and provide support on Vista by July or end of this year... which means, if that happens, XP should by rights fairly become freeware.
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

And just how did you conclude that? Freeware? Why? For what? Go play with Linux if you want freeware. This is not an opensource world and the sooner you realise it the better. Nobody owes you anything, least of all Microsoft.

XP will be supported until the end of 2010.

And software runs just fine on Vista thank you very much. It's developed for tomorrow, not for the year 2000. Incompatibility are as much the blame of your favorite software developer as it is the new OS's, they had it almost a year before you did, btw.
Zana

Post by Zana »

Rayne wrote:And just how did you conclude that? Freeware? Why? For what? Go play with Linux if you want freeware. This is not an opensource world and the sooner you realise it the better. Nobody owes you anything, least of all Microsoft.

XP will be supported until the end of 2010.

And software runs just fine on Vista thank you very much. It's developed for tomorrow, not for the year 2000. Incompatibility are as much the blame of your favorite software developer as it is the new OS's, they had it almost a year before you did, btw.
Well the main reason why windows is my primary OS because there is no Poser/DAZ/Bryce etc for Linux... Well microsoft does owe me something.....
from all the crashes it made ((giggles))... :lol: well i just hate the way that money is everything and anything in this world... and dont blame me... its not my fault i ended up here by accident...where i should have ended up on a diffent planet, its because of money.. the the atmosphere is frot.... anwyay...

o.k so its 2010 ... Fifa year...Thanks ;-) for clearing up that with me...

well not "all" software...

To add to this, I feel at least those with Genuine XP should get a special off Vista, since the prices are rediculous for the package...even XP is still R1000
the best Vista package is probably about R5000 or something... realy rediculouse, and having a visual style upgrade surly wont effect sales...
First off all does Vista have an adjustable Visual style? or you still have to get third party software or program your own to make your visual styles?
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Correction, Microsoft will offer support for XP until 2014. Production of OEM and retail copies however, ends June 30'th 2008.

So best take care of your discs. Or buy now if your planning to, and are lucky enough to find any, that is.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Rayne wrote:Correction, Microsoft will offer support for XP until 2014. Production of OEM and retail copies however, ends June 30'th 2008.

So best take care of your discs. Or buy now if your planning to, and are lucky enough to find any, that is.
And make ISOs while you're at it ...
Zana

Post by Zana »

schase wrote:
Rayne wrote:Correction, Microsoft will offer support for XP until 2014. Production of OEM and retail copies however, ends June 30'th 2008.

And make ISOs while you're at it ...
I have already, of my proffessional edition and media center edition... My home edition, well thats damaged, got attacked by the fungus.. which was my first XP. My second proffersional XP i just gave it away for free to someone in PMB... :roll: so they can grant them self lucky to get a free legal copy....
Love and hugs
Danielle
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

NECRO!

Lol...was bored, decided to play around with something.

Windowx XP PRO (no SP) Install Disc size...488MB

Windows XP SP1 - 125MB linky

Windows XP SP2 - 266MB linky

Windows XP SP3 - 316.4MB linky

Considering Windows service packs GENERALLY fix all of the faults and incompatibilities found in the OS by widespread use (as well as sometimes introducing new features - SP2 firewall for instance), this basically means that SP 1 & 2 comprise almost as much repair technology as the originaly release.

Simply, there has been more information and code released to FIX the OS, than the OS was originally compromised of.

We then introduce SP3 and the ratio worsens.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you guys, been on my mind for a while.

MS Fanbois incoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!
to ápeiro anima
marduke

Re:

Post by marduke »

UrBaN wrote:..this basically means that SP 1 & 2 comprise almost as much repair technology as the originaly release.

Simply, there has been more information and code released to FIX the OS, than the OS was originally compromised of.
I've never thought about it that way, very interesting indeed... one of those things that make you go hmmm
RuadRauFlessa

Re:

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

UrBaN wrote:NECRO!

Considering Windows service packs GENERALLY fix all of the faults and incompatibilities found in the OS by widespread use (as well as sometimes introducing new features - SP2 firewall for instance), this basically means that SP 1 & 2 comprise almost as much repair technology as the originaly release.

MS Fanbois ... Not really ... Not here in any case.

Anyhow if you take into account that every SP also includes the previous SP you sit with a total of 316.4MB worth of patch content. As you said that also includes new content such as XP Firewall. Then you also have to take into account that the SP actually also contains the fixes for all of the related OS/s. But yeah if the problems they fix are all fixed through new code implementations then that 50 odd MB per actual SP is a huge thing. Luckily it is not.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re:

Post by Ron2K »

UrBaN wrote:NECRO!

Unfortunately, your argument doesn't really hold true. A lot of what's in a service pack would be changed code, not additional code. :wink:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
RuadRauFlessa

Re: Re:

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Ron2K wrote:Unfortunately, your argument doesn't really hold true. A lot of what's in a service pack would be changed code, not additional code. :wink:
Now who did you really want to quote for that one :?:
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Zana

Re: Re:

Post by Zana »

marduke wrote:
UrBaN wrote:..this basically means that SP 1 & 2 comprise almost as much repair technology as the originaly release.

I've never thought about it that way, very interesting indeed... one of those things that make you go hmmm

The evelolution to Vista or something... lol BUt what anoys me is when you start from point one to the end, Your hard drive space for the OS ised used up more than if you baught a windows XP sp2 or sp3 (already combined) version of the OS, this is because it copies the old, puts in the new, leaving the old to clutter and hog your hard drive... You can delete these... but alot of people dont know, and wonder why there WINDOWS folder is larger than what it normally is and also assume than content was added in the update rather than replaced, with added ( . ) bits.
Prime

Re:

Post by Prime »

From my exercise, sourcing a new Pc-well the parts anyway, suppliers will cease to sell XP from Jan 2009. This might just be DSP. and what of the EEE PC and those. wasn't vista's life going to be extended because of that? :?