Playing copyprotected WMA files on my PC.

Any software related topics go in here.
Zana

Playing copyprotected WMA files on my PC.

Post by Zana »

Did I post on this or not, since i dont see it, or someone would have said something about it, so then if it is not present it must be absent... i think i did post it... cant remember...

Shalom
For christmass i recieved a CD of my one freinds WMA files with other goodies, but to my dissapointment, the WMA files cannot play on my computer (cause:: the dam things are copy protected/encrypted to run on her PC only). What does one do to fix this? She will have problems if she gets new hardware/ or reformats her hard drive in the future with all of her music on CDs and are like this.

Personaly i learned myself the hard way not to do this with my music files, It happned to me when I made some tracks from Ejay , were in wave form, and compressed them to WMA believing they are more lossless than mp3 (this is debatable :- depending which quality settings to use, and if you using mp3 pro vs lame/blade encoder)...Then there is also the apple version you can encode your stuff into if you are an iTunes freak/ and have a mac and PC and want to keep your data compatable for bothe computers especialy if they in your home network. I dumnped them all on CD, and they were copyprotected. But unfortunately a year down the line i had to have a new motherboard, and till this day i cant access these songs, as well as the ones i got for christmass.

So the christmass ones, how do i get them to play on my PC, what software fixes this? I tried all kinds of things but did not win. ... and I also want to retrieve my old mixes from 2002. The data is there, but cant play!!
I have wanrned my freind about this, if her PC goes on the blink, and gets it fixed or a new PC, she wont be able to play her stuff!. How do tell her what to do to retrieve her stuff as well.

So long story short, how does one fix the copy protection on your own WMA files and on files given to you by freinds?

Love ya lots
Zana
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

On files given to you by friends, you dont... Its called piracy... Its not right, especailly against forum rules here to speak about it as well...

On your own songs, wait for help from the others...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Its irreversible

WMA is encrypted By using a unique key generated from your system not sure what is used, but it must be something from hardware like a Serial number from
your CPU or Motherboard.

There is other ways to come around this but it would in your case be illegal.
As for your own songs, theres no way cuz you lost the key with your failed hardware.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Sorry, but I doubt you'll get much help here as what you're asking is illegal.
If you own the original media then just re-convert to WMA, otherwise, forget it...
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Nicely said by the members above. This thread is locked.