So i FINALLY ordered my new toy!

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
DAE_JA_VOO

So i FINALLY ordered my new toy!

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I saw the Asus EEE PC at the Asus roadshow a few months ago and i was hooked then already. I've been waiting and waiting for them to arrive in SA and they're still not here, and when they eventually DO arrive, they'll probably be between 4-5K, which is nuts. So i just ordered one from Germany :D

I can't wait for it to arrive :D

How tiny is that thing hey!!! 7" screen! :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
jPm

Post by jPm »

I know Rectron Stock the ASUS 7" R2 ULTRA Mobile Laptop for about R10k
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

You can almost buy 3 of these for that price ;)
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

What exactly you going to do with the A-soos?

Do you get international warranty?
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

Um, you can get that in S.A.

http://www.have2have.co.za/index.php?cP ... 3_159_1835

Prices start at R3,240.30.

http://www.e-3.co.za/index.php?cPath=22 ... 8a39948e94

Prices start at R2,909.00.

At that price, Im officially seriously considering this thing. I cant resist breaking this baby out in a lecture room when varsity opens. Its like the new ipod or something.

Oh and btw, every video review Ive seen on the net says Asus as A-soos. I thought it was just an american thing, but its not so...
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

neon_chameleon wrote:What exactly you going to do with the A-soos?
Well, to be honest, the core reason of why i'm buying it is because it's just SO cool. lol. But i've found a form of an excuse to make myself feel better for forking out the dosh :P

I'm gonna be studying a handful of different IT courses this year and i'm sick of carrying a bag full of books around, so now all i'll carry is my notebook and the ebooks on there :P

neon_chameleon wrote:Do you get international warranty?
Well, i have a money-back guarantee, but i'll still have to ship the eee back to germany if something goes wrong.

cYcLIc wrote:Um, you can get that in S.A.

http://www.have2have.co.za/index.php?cP ... 3_159_1835

Prices start at R3,240.30.

http://www.e-3.co.za/index.php?cPath=22 ... 8a39948e94

Prices start at R2,909.00.
Wow.... that's a bit irritating. :(

They're were never on any online stores, and they're not on any supplier lists AFAIK....

Oh well, like i said, they're gonna be too expensive here. The one i ordered from Germay is 4K here (I paid less than R3500 TOTAL, shipped, import duties included).

EDIT: BTW, i just found out that Asus SA has said that the EEE PC will only be launched in SA this month. So those sites only have pre-orders then.
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Dang Dae, you make me so jelous sometimes.. :(
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Wow.... that's a bit irritating. :(

They're were never on any online stores, and they're not on any supplier lists AFAIK....

Oh well, like i said, they're gonna be too expensive here. The one i ordered from Germay is 4K here (I paid less than R3500 TOTAL, shipped, import duties included).

EDIT: BTW, i just found out that Asus SA has said that the EEE PC will only be launched in SA this month. So those sites only have pre-orders then.
There's a review on it in the PCF Holiday Edition? Also says it is only being launched here in Q1 I think?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, there was a review, but like you say, the notebook will only arrive here in Q1
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

I hope you are willing to have your eyes stuffed from reading tons of e-books on that thing...

That small screen will make it extremely difficult to really keep up with the alternative of reading from books.

I have read over 5000 pages of e-books on implementation guides on the ERP system my company implements / sells last year and that was on my Compax nx7400 with its 15" screen. I really felt it. It nails the eyes and really makes the tired and burn...

Also, what is the expected battery life on that thing when in use? You might require a recharge every so often and not have a power plug near...

Nice little laptop, especially handy for people that travel a lot, but I dont know if that thing is a good idea for e-books...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Slasher wrote:
I have read over 5000 pages of e-books on implementation guides on the ERP system my company implements / sells last year and that was on my Compax nx7400 with its 15" screen. I really felt it. It nails the eyes and really makes the tired and burn...

I use the self same laptop and only time I've had problems was when I was wearing contacts.
And I read on it a LOT?

Do you wear glasses?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

While it's a nice concept, I just can't see the use of it (for myself)

I have a nice laptop for mobile computing
I have a nice PocketPC for some of my hobbies as well as getting online
I'll soon have a nice WM6 phone which in some ways will take over from my PocketPC as it's smaller than my N70 yet has the same computing power as my PocketPC.

The Asus EEE is trying to be a laptop and PDA in one yet in my view just doesn't do well enough at either function to be considered truly worthwhile.

It's too large to be a PDA and not powerfull enough to be considered a laptop.

These are my views, I'm not trying to step on any toes...and truth be told, if I was given one, I would definately not refuse it (I'm called "gadget man" by my friends and family) :)
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

doo_much wrote:
Slasher wrote:

I use the self same laptop and only time I've had problems was when I was wearing contacts.
And I read on it a LOT?

Do you wear glasses?
24/7 my good friend, 24/7... (O wait, I sleep without them)

Maybe your eyes are more accustomed to it, but coming from a background of only reading a LOT on physical books, I think the sudden change to reading 200 / 300 odd pages on e-books a week was where the strain started...
My BF2142 Stats:

Mow

Post by Mow »

Do you guys think it supports usb boot ? So you can hook up a nice big USB harddrive and boot from that ?

edit . Its perfect for the mobile programmer. That's the coolest use, also as dae said taking notes in lectures. Another one would be for writers.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
cYcLIc

Post by cYcLIc »

@Dae: Yeah, you right. Received an email stating that release is only at the end of the month.

Have you guys seen what the Eee Pc can do? It can be modded to be a touch screen, you can play games like UT 2004 on it and its nice and compact. You can boot of a usb or an SD so you could also easily put XP on the 2G version. Ram is also upgradable. Ive seen people with Vista on theirs too. I think that device will be very useful. Its not for people looking for big screen laptops.
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
UsMarshal

Post by UsMarshal »

I just seams like an overgrown cell phone/pda to me. It's a gimick, plain and simple.
Scavenger

Post by Scavenger »

Nice Dae!
I've been using mine for a few weeks and its awesome! :D The battery life isn't superb (bearing in mind mine is the surf model) I get about 2.5 hours when working on it.. The other thing is the screen is small but very usable, I tend to fullscreen all the applications and firefox just to get a little bit more viewing area. The most use I get out of it is surfing the web around the house, this little guy has a really good wi-fi system that seems to have a better range then my other laptops, which is nice.
ASUS P5K Delux Wifi || Intel Core 2 Duo 3ghz e6850 || 4gb Mushkin XP 1066mhz DDR2 CL4 || 2x Sapphire ATI HD3870 512mb Crossfire || OCZ StealthXstream 600w || 500gb WD || 2x120gb WD Raid 0 || Thermaltake Xaser III Lanfire || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers || Samsung Syncmaster 226BW 22" LCD "S" Panel ||
beerman

Post by beerman »

Dae,

I'm more interested in the COKE in the photo next to the laptop!

When and where did you buy it from? I'm curious because it looks like a 340ml can and I know Coke has switched to a 330ml can.

I'm wondering whether it's imported or not ...
My 2c ...
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

beerman, that is just a pic. He said he is still waiting for his one to arrive...
My BF2142 Stats:

DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

So youre telling me thats not Dae in the first pic??? 8O
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

How do you see anything on that tiny little screen? But the whole think looks very stylish 8) . What are the specs?
beerman

Post by beerman »

Thanks Slasher ... that explains it!
My 2c ...
Scavenger

Post by Scavenger »

TheModDoctor wrote:How do you see anything on that tiny little screen? But the whole think looks very stylish 8) . What are the specs?
You can see everything clearly on the screen as it is at 800x480 resolution (everything is a decent size) the price you pay for this is the viewing area, so you have to do a fair bit of scrolling around..
ASUS P5K Delux Wifi || Intel Core 2 Duo 3ghz e6850 || 4gb Mushkin XP 1066mhz DDR2 CL4 || 2x Sapphire ATI HD3870 512mb Crossfire || OCZ StealthXstream 600w || 500gb WD || 2x120gb WD Raid 0 || Thermaltake Xaser III Lanfire || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers || Samsung Syncmaster 226BW 22" LCD "S" Panel ||
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah it can even play HL2.

Anyway, i think i'm gonna have to cancel my order. I ordered from a German site, so obviously i'll be getting a German notebook (KB layout and all). I called them this morning and they can't get me an English one :?

I'll have to get one elsewhere then. This is very disappointing...
atomwissenschaft

Post by atomwissenschaft »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Yeah it can even play HL2.

Anyway, i think i'm gonna have to cancel my order. I ordered from a German site, so obviously i'll be getting a German notebook (KB layout and all). I called them this morning and they can't get me an English one :?

I'll have to get one elsewhere then. This is very disappointing...
Concerning the KB layout, only the "Y" and "Z" Key's are swapped...And some punctuation key's are different...

But guess the whole OS would be a bit difficult to use then :wink:

Alternatively learn German :wink:

More points than you!