PC reboot

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
jee

PC reboot

Post by jee »

Hey guys! My pc has been rebooting itself for a while now, and its just getting worse. I have not been able to find a pattern to the rebooting. Using XP, and have used Adaware, Spybot , clamwin - nada!

where else do i look?

thanks
j
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

y not just backup and format? it mite b easiest.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
jee

Post by jee »

i suppose i must, but i hate formating.. :(
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
GedMarc

Post by GedMarc »

video card, motherboard, cpu and hard drive temperatures...... that was my issue. I'd use everest to make sure on that.
jee

Post by jee »

hmmm, my one fan packed up - currently i have my pc open like a proper nerd :) (Kitten keeps on trying to get into the pc!)

perhaps its time to upgrade...

Marc, how do i find out which of those is the culprit?
garp

Post by garp »

One very odd problem I found with this exact same problem you are having is the reset switch in my case was faulty causing the PC to reset all the time randomly.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

That's unlikely :P

Jee, download something called speedfan. And post us a screen shot :)
garp

Post by garp »

I34z1k wrote:That's unlikely :P

Jee, download something called speedfan. And post us a screen shot :)
Unlikely yes, but there are still the dark Secrets of the PC that lurk in that case :P 8) if all else fails a 50 pound hammer makes you feel better :twisted:
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Or a good leak into the psu.
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Don't want to sound horrible or anything but I really hate it when somebody says it will be easier to just format. Yes, sometimes it is the best route but more often than not you will be able to solve the issue without having to go through that and it might not even be a software issue.

Jee, what have you tried so far? Is there anything in your logs or have you at least disabled auto reboot? It will also be a good idea to check if there are any shorts and so forth. Temps may be the problem too, so check up on that too.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Does it reboot hard or 'Soft'

When it reboots is it rebooting like you were pressing the reset button?
or does it log off and restart nicely ?

If it just resets as if you were pressing the reset button it could be hardware related.

Try running the machine with only one memory module if it has more than one ? and swop them around if the problem still occurs.
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

Maybe your psu cant handle the load anymore.. happened to me.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

Jee the simplest would be to first check ur temps. if thats not it, do you maybe have a spare ram module u can replace ur current one with to test? dont format cause thats a long way around, rather just do a few little tests, to me it sounds like something hardware related.

so check ur temps, then try another stick of ram or even move ur ram from the current slot into another.
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)