Water cooling

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
CRAZYIRISHMAN121

Water cooling

Post by CRAZYIRISHMAN121 »

Hi i am planing to put water cooling in my computer can you guys please tell me wich one i should get and i got a Cool master Stacker so i got a bit of space :lol:
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

How much money do you have?
CRAZYIRISHMAN121

about R1500
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Okay, I'm not even gonna bother in that case, ask someone else
CRAZYIRISHMAN121

y :(
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Don't be cheap :P Lol try get R1900 - R2000
rossi

Post by rossi »

Maby try a watercooling from coolermaster itself.
Do you want a full system our only the cpu???
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

The least you can spend on WC in SA is 2K, and thats on the Apex Ultra kit. That will only cool your CPU though. If you can't pay the 2K, don't waste your money on any other WC available in for cheaper than that.

EDIT: and dont even bother with the CM aquagate system.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
cYcLIc

Re: Water cooling

Post by cYcLIc »

CRAZYIRISHMAN121 wrote:Hi i am planing to put water cooling in my computer can you guys please tell me wich one i should get and i got a Cool master Stacker so i got a bit of space :lol:
I've read good things about this one and its only R1553.02.

http://www.prophecy.co.za/gigabyte-gala ... 21885.html
◕ PhenomII X4 955 BE
◕ ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
◕ XFX 9800GT
◕ 2 x 2GB Corsaire XMS3 DDR3-1333
◕ Gigabyte Odin 550w
◕ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
EVILer

Post by EVILer »

Lots of helpfull people here isnt there :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
i guess they think you need to go big or go home...........

I at the moment have the aquagate system in my pc, i paid R500 for it and it was doing the job quite well. temps were idle around 25 depending on room temp and load never went over 41. i recently added another single rad to it and a northbridge block and temps havent changed.

look....its not the best but its a good cheap start if you only want to cool the cpu, they are also stackable to you can connect a couple of them together and improve on it.

i recently ordered new stuffs from ppc's and it was only R1600(dual rad, pump, cpu block, tubing, res)

this crap about spending at least a months salary on it is bull****.

if you plan on overclocking it till death then get the best you can buy, and get your moneys worth.

hope this helped.
Intel 3.4 Dual Core
4 GB DDR 800
XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
2 X 250GB SATA
2 X 320GB SATA
1 X 120GB IDE
Coolermaster WC System
Gigabyte 3D Aurora570 Case
2 X Acer 19\\\" Wide LCD
viceroy

Re: Water cooling

Post by viceroy »

CRAZYIRISHMAN121 wrote:Hi i am planing to put water cooling in my computer can you guys please tell me wich one i should get and i got a Cool master Stacker so i got a bit of space :lol:
Why do you want water?
douglash

Post by douglash »

viceroy wrote:
CRAZYIRISHMAN121 wrote:
Hi i am planing to put water cooling in my computer can you guys please tell me wich one i should get and i got a Cool master Stacker so i got a bit of space

Why do you want water?
good question - why, if you don't need it?

i ask myself this everytime i wanna blow 2.5k on water, then realise it's not really needed and i can spend the cash on something that is needed...

but, on the other hand, if you really want water, go for it. just do it properly though otherwise it's a waste of even R500...

:thumbup:
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

No-one actually needs water, but the usual main reason is to have a silent system or if you're overclocking big time, but water isn't this miraculous cooling system as it still relies on the ambient temps.

Just remember the following pros and cons.

PRO
+ Good water cooling will keep your overall temps lower by avoiding temp spikes
+ System can be silent
+ Has cool factor

CON
- Leaks
- No better than good air cooling for temps
- Not LAN friendly
- More work than air in terms of installing (proper install takes over 24 hours) and draining system can be a mission
shinji-aoi

Post by shinji-aoi »

...Plus you still use a fan and are still reliant on air to cool the system!!!

Radiator + fan = Watercooling
Heatsink + fan = Aircooling

Get the picture?

Take that money by a decent set of case fans, a proper heatsink and heatspreaders for your RAM. The remaining money you can use to buy a bunch of games and DVD's.

Watercooling is overrated and a waste of money. Aircooling rules watercooling hand over fist for both cost and safety.
Water reservoirs crack, pipes become brittle, etc. etc.

If you have to do watercooling (if) make sure to spend some cash on UV reactive coolant. Nothing looks cooler than those pipes lighting up in well modded case.

Oh and for those getting ready to rag/flame me about dissing watercooling and calling aircooling superior - remember phase shift colling beats everything hands down.

Go Alonso & Vettel! Forza Ferrari always!

Currently watching:
E's Otherwise

Ongoing/Running Series:
One Piece, Bleach, Naruto
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

shinji-aoi wrote:Watercooling is overrated and a waste of money. Aircooling rules watercooling hand over fist for both cost and safety.
Erm, that's when you buy cheap kits, smartass
shinji-aoi wrote:Oh and for those getting ready to rag/flame me about dissing watercooling and calling aircooling superior - remember phase shift colling beats everything hands down.
Nope, ever heard of LN2? ;)
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

shinji-aoi wrote:...Plus you still use a fan and are still reliant on air to cool the system!!!
Okay which part of my post didn't you understand...oh it must have been the big word...what was it again? oh yes...ambient.
shinji-aoi wrote:Radiator + fan = Watercooling
Heatsink + fan = Aircooling
Not quite true...There are some passive watercooling systems out there which have no fans whatsoever

Also, watercooling system fans are able to spin much slower due to the efficiency of water at transferring heat away from critical components. This allows for a virtually silent system.
shinji-aoi wrote:Get the picture?
Considering that I do have one of the better kits on the market, I do actually get the picture
shinji-aoi wrote:Watercooling is overrated and a waste of money. Aircooling rules watercooling hand over fist for both cost and safety.
shinji-aoi wrote:If you have to do watercooling (if) make sure to spend some cash on UV reactive coolant. Nothing looks cooler than those pipes lighting up in well modded case.
No wonder you're convinced that tubing becomes brittle...nothing makes a tube brittle like a little UV lighting.

Also...Cheap reservoirs crack. Mixing US and Euro standard threads causes reservoirs to crack. A properly maintained and installed system has no worries
shinji-aoi wrote:Oh and for those getting ready to rag/flame me about dissing watercooling and calling aircooling superior - remember phase shift colling beats everything hands down.
See Wik1d's comment on this. In terms of risk, Phase change is actually riskier than water due to the condensation risks you face by cooling lower than ambient...and if you're going lower than ambient, you might as well go DIce or LN2

Nuf said
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

WiK1d wrote:
Erm, that's when you buy cheap kits, smartass
O RLY? What about Dae's reservoirs? :lol:
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Cheap....!

He actually got one from me cos I had one spare...anyway, both mine cracked too
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Those res were the worst ever, but DAE actually did some research regarding this. It seems that those reservoirs' perspex is highly under tension, so now you screw in a mistreaded barb and it puts it under more tension, which slowly causes it to crack, and once it starts you're screwed
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Ok, only pulling j00 legs.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
shinji-aoi

Post by shinji-aoi »

....sizzle.... :oops:

Yep, I got flamed! :(

Sorry viceroy, didn't mean to be so aggro in my post (crappy day at the office) - my apologies. :wink:

Yeah it's true that the expensive watercooling units kick bottom, they do, but I find the risk of water in a expensive pc a bit high (saw too many peole waste PC's because of crappy installs or moving the cases to LANs).

As for the UV thing - I know UV messes with plastic and rubber. I have a bunch of UV lights in my case but only fire them up a couple of minutes now and then (I do not look at the inside of my case too much so when I actually do, I want to see the UV reactive goodies light up).
All the cables, fittings and components still function properly thanks to short periods of UV exposure a few times a month. :)

Wik1d - yeah, I forgot about that! :oops:

Go Alonso & Vettel! Forza Ferrari always!

Currently watching:
E's Otherwise

Ongoing/Running Series:
One Piece, Bleach, Naruto
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Now this lan thing... I had my stacker on water for about 8 months. Lanned at least once a month. No leaks. If you do it right, its safe. If you're a schmuck and want to be cheap, I hope it leaks.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

I34z1k wrote:Now this lan thing... I had my stacker on water for about 8 months. Lanned at least once a month. No leaks. If you do it right, its safe. If you're a schmuck and want to be cheap, I hope it leaks.
you can...but sheesh...I refuse to lug my PC anywhere unless I really have to...it's heavy and I'm getting old :D
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

My mom said you are a "kid" :P Lol so don't lie ;)
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Lol :)

I'm older than I look...really :P