Wifi in Ubuntu

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
AlphA

Wifi in Ubuntu

Post by AlphA »

Anybody here got it working?

I dont need to use wifi (my Ubuntu desktop sits right next to my Ipcop box)...but was just messing around with it for fun.

I know the OS picks up my card (MSI PC60G) and is able to use it as I see "wlan0" listed in my devices and if I do an ifconfig, i am able to see the card.

I just dont know where to go from there..

Anybody know whats the next step?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

No idea, but i'd love to know. As soon as the EEE PC is released here i'll have it, and i need to know how to use it's wifi ability in Ubuntu.

I'll keep an eye on this thread :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

I have read some documentation on installing the windows drivers through a wrapper, but only if your wifi card is not detected. Ubuntu detects mine quite fine. I suspect there is some package I need to install, I just dont know what it is.

Its pretty late now, I need to get some sleep. I'll mess around with it when I can spare the time.

EDIT : Thanks for links W1k..I'll check em out tomorrow.

EDIT : I did try most of the stuff in the documentation. No luck.
Wikids link wrote:If it doesn't and you get statements saying "Destination host unreachable" or "request timed out", then you've got a problem and you aren't connected. (somebody should write some instructions on what to do next).
So much for that - this is where I'm stuck :?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

My wifi worked perfectly straight after install.
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

All I did:

Left-click on your network Icon on the toolbar on the desktop, and select your network from the dropdown, follow the instructions.
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

M1ke wrote:All I did:

Left-click on your network Icon on the toolbar on the desktop, and select your network from the dropdown, follow the instructions.
Yep, same here. Was the easiest I've ever set up a network connection in any OS.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

ryanrich wrote:
M1ke wrote:All I did:

Yep, same here. Was the easiest I've ever set up a network connection in any OS.
I didnt go that route......I might read too much online stuff and got rhrown off-track :oops:

Thanks guys ....I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread, as this is one of two things that is stopping me from moving over to Ubuntu myself (the other being that I need to do .NET development from home, but once I get my backup box working and SUSE installed on it, I'll be experimenting with virtual machines in a Linux environment, so I'll see where that takes me).

The problem is, the phone line and router is on the other side of the house, and there's NO way that I can run network cables through the ceiling, so I'm totally dependent on my wireless link - so it has to be made to work.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Ron2K wrote:but once I get my backup box working and SUSE installed on it, I'll be experimenting with virtual machines in a Linux environment, so I'll see where that takes me).
VMplayer works very easilly in Linux....

Ron2K wrote:The problem is, the phone line and router is on the other side of the house, and there's NO way that I can run network cables through the ceiling, so I'm totally dependent on my wireless link - so it has to be made to work.
Well, from what I have read in this thread, it seems simple. We'll see.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Ron2K wrote:The problem is, the phone line and router is on the other side of the house, and there's NO way that I can run network cables through the ceiling, so I'm totally dependent on my wireless link - so it has to be made to work.
Same here. The wireless at my place as well as at my folks place works very well. At my house I'm running an ad hoc connection with an el cheapo wireless card in the PC and at their place they're running a Billion router, and I haven't had any issues with either. The wireless performance and reliability is also way better in Ubuntu than in Vista, in my experience.
M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

AlphA wrote:I have read some documentation on installing the windows drivers through a wrapper, but only if your wifi card is not detected. Ubuntu detects mine quite fine. I suspect there is some package I need to install, I just dont know what it is.

Its pretty late now, I need to get some sleep. I'll mess around with it when I can spare the time.

EDIT : Thanks for links W1k..I'll check em out tomorrow.

EDIT : I did try most of the stuff in the documentation. No luck.
Wikids link wrote:If it doesn't and you get statements saying "Destination host unreachable" or "request timed out", then you've got a problem and you aren't connected. (somebody should write some instructions on what to do next).
So much for that - this is where I'm stuck :?
If drivers are a hassle you can use, if memory serves, NdisWrapper. I'll also be watching this thread as I haven't used wireless in Linux... haven't really had the need yet.
Judas

Post by Judas »

Ron2K wrote:I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread, as this is one of two things that is stopping me from moving over to Ubuntu myself (the other being that I need to do .NET development from home, but once I get my backup box working and SUSE installed on it, I'll be experimenting with virtual machines in a Linux environment, so I'll see where that takes me).
<OT>
Have you considered doing your .NET development with Mono? They've got a near-complete implementation of .NET 2.0, with WinForms and everything.
</OT>
'One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.'
- Friedrich Nietzsche

'Do not argue with Judas, nube, that would be foolish!'
- D3PART3D
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

I've been thinking about it. Perhaps I'll just take the plunge after my Cape Town holiday in January. :D
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.