Ubuntu Ultimate and Ubuntu 7.10

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

Xiphan wrote:
M1ke wrote:I read abut Sabayon a while back. How's the dark interface? Lekker?
Hey it's very lekker! And if the dark interface isn't your thing, you do get different themes with it/ for it. Now, I haven't played with it all that much, but I'll admit that for the short while that I did use it I was very impressed.
One thing I was immediately amazed with was the window effects it uses (move a window around and it wobbles like jelly). The distro I got came standard with proper graphics drivers, as well as some 3D games! :)

So all in all a very nice distro. Haven't tried Ubuntu so I won't know how it compares. Check out some screenshots of it here.

Getting back on topic: :P
qace wrote:Do games like crysis and nfs etc work in Ubuntu ? i'm just asking out of interest..
Natively? I doubt it... but there's a program called Cedega by Transgaming which helps users get most modern games running on Linux, don't think it's free though? :?

Two screenshots of WoW and BF2 (respectively), running on Linux with Cedega:
ImageImage
Haha, you think the wobbly windows are only available to Sabayon? Think again. Compiz-Fusion comes natively installed with Ubuntu 7.10.

Rotating desktop cube, many custom animations for windows, grouping, etc.
Go to youtube and search for Compiz Fusion :D
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

I never said it was native or meant to imply that it was. It was just the first time I saw something that cool in an operating system! ;) Also I thought it was something extra that only Sabayon had causing it, but I took another look today and saw that it's also accomplished with Compiz. So I'm thinking I'll try out Ubuntu too. ;)
As I agree with the sentiment of loading an OS barebone, then simply adding only the software you want to it. Does Ubuntu 7.10 come with ATI or nVidia drivers preinstalled or do you need to sort that out yourself? I think that was the other drawcard that Sabayon had for me! :P
Judas

Post by Judas »

Xiphan wrote:I never said it was native or meant to imply that it was. It was just the first time I saw something that cool in an operating system! ;) Also I thought it was something extra that only Sabayon had causing it, but I took another look today and saw that it's also accomplished with Compiz. So I'm thinking I'll try out Ubuntu too. ;)
As I agree with the sentiment of loading an OS barebone, then simply adding only the software you want to it. Does Ubuntu 7.10 come with ATI or nVidia drivers preinstalled or do you need to sort that out yourself? I think that was the other drawcard that Sabayon had for me! :P
Unfortunately you need to install them yourself, but with the new version of Ubuntu it's mind-numbingly easy - just open up the restricted driver manager, choose to enable the drivers and Ubuntu will download and install them automatically. Couldn't be simpler.
'One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.'
- Friedrich Nietzsche

'Do not argue with Judas, nube, that would be foolish!'
- D3PART3D
Nomadic2Duo

Post by Nomadic2Duo »

Xiphan

I've used Sabayon for about 2 days and switched back to Ubuntu. I think Ubuntu is by far the best Linux distro for the end user or the beginner. It may also be due to the fact that I don't like KDE based Distros and would rather go for GNOME distros like Ubuntu.

Sabayon does look nice but it is based on Gentoo. I personally don't like Gentoo based distros due to the fact that you have to compile a lot of files before you can actually get software to work.

With Ubuntu you can either download a *.deb file which is basically like a EXE file on Windowz which installs by itself. If it needs any dependencies it will resolve that automatically. If you can't get a program in .deb format you can search for it in Synaptic and install it from there.

I've decided to post a preview of my Ubuntu Desktop so you can see how cool you can make it look.

Image Image Image

Enjoy
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

Judas wrote:
Xiphan wrote:I never said it was native or meant to imply that it was. It was just the first time I saw something that cool in an operating system! ;) Also I thought it was something extra that only Sabayon had causing it, but I took another look today and saw that it's also accomplished with Compiz. So I'm thinking I'll try out Ubuntu too. ;)
Unfortunately you need to install them yourself, but with the new version of Ubuntu it's mind-numbingly easy - just open up the restricted driver manager, choose to enable the drivers and Ubuntu will download and install them automatically. Couldn't be simpler.
Installing the drivers are easy. I think it even gives you a pop-up directing you to your restricted drivers manager
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I've been meaning to post about this in a while.

I absolutely LOVE the file manager in Ubuntu (Nautilus). Here's why. I'm a neat freak when it comes to my data on my HDDs. I don't just chuck my pics into one big folder, or all my installers into a folder, nothing like that. I have everything perfectly organised. For example, say i want my Skype installer, i have a Programs folder, and inside that folder, there's a Web folder, within that folder is an IM folder, and within that folder, is a Skype folder. And inside THAT folder, will be the installer.

Now, in windows, i need to find each folder before i can access it. So if i open that HDD at the root directory, i need to first find the Programs folder amongst all the other folders in the root directory. Once i've found it, i open it, and then i need to find the Web folder before i can gain access to it.

In Nautilus, however, navigating is just so easy. Once i've opened the HDD at the root directory, all i do is type Pro and then press Enter. Then i'm in the Programs folder. Then i type Web and Enter... etc etc etc

It's almost like navigating in the Terminal :P

I find this to be the fastest way i can navigate through my HDDs (i know all the folders, so i know what to type)

Anyone else as chuffed as i am about this?

EDIT: Just for the record, i HATE skype. I hate skype, i hate MSN, i hate YIM, i hate ICQ. The only IM client that i use is GTalk (well, now Pidgin). Pidgin makes all teh other clients/protocols usable, thank goodness.

EDIT 2: just for MORE record, i hate IM. IM is the devil :P
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

Ubuntu was built to be easy to use, and I agree that it fulfills it fully.
I only have one gripe about Ubuntu, and it's not really the distro's fault, but updates get released often and can chew through cap really quickly.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

well if we had free local cap and a local server to host the update files then it wouldn't be a problem :lol:

But as usual, one company to blame *cough* Telkom *Cough* 8O :?
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
Nomadic2Duo

Post by Nomadic2Duo »

M1ke

Hey there M1ke.

Me and DAEJAVOO were sitting the other day and talked about Ubuntu and he said the same thing you said about the updates. You have to remember that in Windows for instance you get updates but they are just for the OS itself, In Ubuntu we get updates for everything not just the OS, and that is why it does get pretty big at times.

Go to System => Administration => Software Sources. When the window is open click on updates and make sure that only the top option is selected.

Have a nice one!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Nomadic2Duo wrote:You have to remember that in Windows for instance you get updates but they are just for the OS itself, In Ubuntu we get updates for everything not just the OS
Indeed.

When you get Ubuntu Updates, they're for every application on your HDD that has updated since you last installed or updated it, hence the large updates. In XP or Vista, all you get are the updates to the core OS itself, and your applications are left alone (i still don't know why MS has chosen to do it that way... but hey... different strokes..)
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

Nomadic2Duo wrote:M1ke

Hey there M1ke.

Me and DAEJAVOO were sitting the other day and talked about Ubuntu and he said the same thing you said about the updates. You have to remember that in Windows for instance you get updates but they are just for the OS itself, In Ubuntu we get updates for everything not just the OS, and that is why it does get pretty big at times.

Go to System => Administration => Software Sources. When the window is open click on updates and make sure that only the top option is selected.

Have a nice one!
I know, that's why I specifically said that it isn't the Distro's fault.
Otherwise, I believe we do have a local server, za.ubuntu.co.za or something like that, which allows us to recieve our updates quickly. Just there isn't local cap yet for Mweb :P
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

any1 in the PTA North area that could possibly send me an AMD and Intel version of the Ubuntu 7.10 cd's?

it would be much appreciated as I found out this morning that not one of the cd's that I downloaded worked... :(
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

AMD and Intel versions?!
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Amd version isn't really amd linux, it's 64bit linux. It will run on Intel 64bit cpu's. :) but stick with 32bit IMO.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

hehehe, keep forgetting DAE already explained that to me...

ok 32-bit and 64-bit version and not AMD and INTEL :D

/ends knocking self on forehead
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

Have a bit of an issue, hopefully someone can assit me. I have Ubuntu Ultimate 1.7 ( Ubutnu 7.10 ) installed like a dream, and woks great, now the Display driver is where the issue comes in. I rememberwhen I had an nVidia GPU, all I did was download the driver at the office ( he he he ) go home , boot up Ubuntu, press Ctrl+alt+F1, in there I stop the GDM, install the driver, and reboot, WHAM, adn my windows can like to be wobbly.

Tried that with the drivers for my X1800XT , not geting any joy. Anything diffrent that I need to do ?? what am I missing. Gettign relly frustrating !!!

Yes even Kongregate thinks I am 1337 !!!
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

mmmm, dont tell me I stumped the experts ??

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Download through restricted drivers manager, that wont work with 7.10.
EDIT: i've never tried with ATi, but with nVidia comiz won't work from .run drivers.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Ensure your restricted drivers are enabled and install Envy. That will help you out with the driver installation

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install envy
See if that helps
PhReaK_K

Post by PhReaK_K »

envy is installed, oh and also have not sorted out the internet connection yet, as I am using a Vodafone USB 3g, but I got info on how to do it,
So I need to manually install.

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Now someone tell me why my window decorations turn grey please? They're half grey, half the colour i chose (blue) and the close,mini/maximise buttons vanish? :?

- Elon Musk
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

D3PART3D wrote:Now someone tell me why my window decorations turn grey please? They're half grey, half the colour i chose (blue) and the close,mini/maximise buttons vanish? :?
Also had that problem. Seems like a bit of a no0bcake error, and knowing you..... Nuff said :wink:
Just playing dude :lol:

Try reinstalled Compiz if you have it installed and see what that does. Worked out fine for me :D
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

LOL! g0ldback, watch it!

It's not my compiz, it did the same even before :(

- Elon Musk
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

Its actually quite a mission to get compiz working with an ati card. You need to run your desktop environemnt with XGL... Let me find a walk thru for you...
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

Wow, seems gutsy is a whole lot easier... In feisty you had to create your own scripts and services ect.

anyways... here we go.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=580748