This is blatant racism!

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
snipeers

Post by snipeers »

You see, All I want to know is why PCFormat uses only white models on the covers!
i guess it comes with the licensing agreement between FP and IP. if you have any problems with that, blame it to the Brits.
Anyway, Is Tamsini a racist?
yes, she was.

i saw her once competing in the Comrades Marathon more than a year ago. haven't seen her though after that, the last thing i knew she was already the editor of PCF
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

snipeers wrote:
Anyway, Is Tamsini a racist?
yes, she was.

i saw her once competing in the Comrades Marathon more than a year ago. haven't seen her though after that, the last thing i knew she was already the editor of PCF
ROFLMAO, sheesh it took me a while to get it but after i did, it was so damn funny:lol:
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Tamsini

Post by Tamsini »

Sorry it has taken me so long to get onto this to reply - I fell badly at the beginning of my holidays (drunkenly lurched into a hole) and so have not been allowed to walk or drive - stuck in bed! 8O

I think that most of you have pretty much answered AJakes' questions for me actually - bucn of real smart people you are!

For the record - we are not racist and I am not racist and there is no racism! I am given very specific guidelines within which I have to work and sometimes these are problematic. I will do my level best to include more colour in PCF *grin* but please oh please rest assured that there is not/never will be/ will not be racism in my magazine for as long as I am editor - I am strongly opposed to it.

Madgic (and all other ravishing women on the forums) - Honey pie I hear your pain and I know as well as anyone the issues and problems women have in this patriarchal society of ours. My use of women on the cover is as simple as target marketing and my response remains the same - we will have a man eventually - it will happen but it will take time and effort. Please don't ever think that PCF is excluding women because your input and presence help to make this mag great.
jee

Post by jee »

Thanks Tamsini - we know you will try - and, being women, we have learnt the art of patience.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
v1c

Post by v1c »

... My use of women on the cover is as simple as target marketing ...

Yes, I was right, see I told you so. Sorry :oops: it's a rare for me to be on the winning side, especially after supporting the sa rugby team :lol:
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Hmm, been 2 years since sum1 posted.

I'm wondering. Who decide what model will be used for the cover? Must she be of certain height, nationality, age, [insert criteria here]?

Why not have more models of colour? There's bucket load of hot non-white girls at agencies.

See
http://www.promodel.co.za/photoavail49.asp
http://www.promodel.co.za/photoavail22.asp
http://www.bossmodels.co.za/ModelZcard. ... 20&PageNum
ber=4&CardType=
http://www.topcomodels.co.za/models/profile.php?key=252
http://www.vipmodels.co.za/women/women.asp (Nice indian models here. also see "gabi medalie", "Fatima Jattiem", "Jaclyn Jackson", "Michelle Brown", "Portia Makoni" and "Wendy Naidoo")

If the cover model selection isn't racially orientated then why don't we see any on the cover (apart from a few over the years)? Does the selector only select his/her type or is it a calculated strategic decision?
More white models maybe do convert an onlooking white dude into a buyer but most guys would buy it anyway for the scantly clad girl with the nice (_|_) only. I do, hehe...

But then argument is the number ratio. More white readers then any other. But there is a LOT of non-white readers. Why not publish a non-white cover model 4 times in 1 year? (based on the ratio - Or do some kind of a poll)

Lets say the model was of colour for 1 full year, I think it wud raise some stirring among the white readers...

PS. I like a blonde blue-eyed model just like the next guy but then again, sex in 1 position gets old quickly. So spice things up!
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Ajake's, you're feeling the pain of years and years of persecution for your race. I feel for you, man. Anger, anger, anger. Good that you have a voice, man. Use it bra.
He he. That's pretty good.

I'm a green-skinned dude, why aren't there more green-skinned chicks on the cover? And my people haven't even had 10 years of democracy! I mean, c'mon!

Yup. Touchy subject. I don't know how to handle it.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Nothing like dusting off a corpse and blowing a fart into it hoping it comes alive.

s
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Man, talk about going necro. It's simple. If you want black buy 'Drum'. If you want white buy 'Huisgenoot'. If you want redneck buy 'YOU'. If you want green buy 'Fincancial Times'. If you want IT reviews and news buy 'PC Format'. See where I'm going with this? It's called target marketing. :roll:
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Anthropoid21

Post by Anthropoid21 »

Has anybody even mentioned contracts ?
maybe PCF has a contract with a perticular modelling agency? and that particular modelling agency has no <insert criteria here> girls working there ?
SO now we are going to sue the model agency ?
This in my opinion is a STUPID arrogant discussion, why blame EVERYTHING on racism ?
Imho we should move on past this "hey your black im white/etc etc thing. This is like one of those wind up toys, you wind them up and it keeps walking into the wall. racism racism racism bang there goes all the happy happy
Anthropoid21

Post by Anthropoid21 »

Sojourn wrote:Nothing like dusting off a corpse and blowing a fart into it hoping it comes alive.

s
RRRROOOOOFFFFLLL !!!!
Last edited by Anthropoid21 on 01 Jun 2006, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Y0da wrote:Man, talk about going necro. It's simple. If you want black buy 'Drum'. If you want white buy 'Huisgenoot'. If you want redneck buy 'YOU'. If you want green buy 'Fincancial Times'. If you want IT reviews and news buy 'PC Format'. See where I'm going with this? It's called target marketing. :roll:
I buy Landbou Weekblad to get "green"

:)

Oh and Star Wars Insider sometimes has Yoda on the cover so I get green from that too :razz:

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Belix

Post by Belix »

for the next PCF we need to find a fat black jewish gay transvestite disabled woman for the cover. Then we can cover all the bases at one time...

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Belix wrote:for the next PCF we need to find a fat black jewish gay transvestite disabled woman for the cover. Then we can cover all the bases at one time...
She \ He \ It has to be blind, deaf and mentally challenged as well.

Oh, and old as well. We've never had an elderly person on the cover of PCF.

And also ugly.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
r-it

Post by r-it »

Some repugnant mentalities i c in this hizza
Daughters and sons of the soil, I greet you with my revolutionary, unapologetic, Afican greeting in saying "Izwe Lethu!"
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

As far as I'm concerned, they can take all the models out of the mag, and use that money to give us more reviews!

Just put a pic of a 7900GTX on the front cover...oh wait, Im discriminating against ATi now...*sigh*
Zell
Permanently Banned

Post by Zell »

Meh, "waaah waaah waaah!"

I admit that white models are attractive to me, and that I do not like looking at black models.
The largest group that read PCF are white males by a large margin.

So BOOHOO, the magazine will caitor (sp?) for the majority.

Don't like it? Well go die. This is democracy, and people can do whatever they like to make the most money. Its not rascist.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Y0da wrote:Man, talk about going necro. It's simple. If you want black buy 'Drum'. If you want white buy 'Huisgenoot'. If you want redneck buy 'YOU'. If you want green buy 'Fincancial Times'. If you want IT reviews and news buy 'PC Format'. See where I'm going with this? It's called target marketing. :roll:
And if you want "black or white, its pink inside" >> go Hustler.

s
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

And on that note, I think everything that can be said, has been said.

Thread locked.