US/UK Post Box - Shipping to SA

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
beerman

US/UK Post Box - Shipping to SA

Post by beerman »

Hi,

Have a look at the service these guys are providing:

http://www.aramex.com/shopandship/default.aspx

The only catch is, is that they don't do it for South Africa it seems. Was wondering whether anyone knew of a company that does something similar and will ship to SA?

For those too lazy to follow the link: The company sets you up with a UK/US PO BOX to which you can buy and ship your international purchases (if the company you buy from does not ship to SA or the product is not shipped to SA). From there, they will courier it to you at an additional charge.

Thanks
My 2c ...
Shrike_07

Post by Shrike_07 »

http://www.myus.com/

They ship To Namibia and i can personally recommend them. I know some guys on this forum use them as well to get stuff to SA.
Core i5 750 @ 2.66 GHz
MSI 5850 1GB OC edition
4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz CL7
Asus Zonar D2/PM
MSI P55GD65
74GB Raptor + 1.5 TB Samsung
Cooler Master Storm Scout
Cooler Master eXtream Power 650W PS
P2770H LCD
Onkyo TX-SR577 AV Receiver + Polk Audio RTI-A1 Speakers
Lanius cristatus: The butcher-bird....
beerman

Post by beerman »

Shrike ... How do they work around the customs department? Last thing I want to do is import something, pay for courier fees and then get slapped a hell of a customs bill as well?
My 2c ...
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

15.4% customs, if you try dodge it by underdeclaring packages you will be fined R1500
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Re: US/UK Post Box - Shipping to SA

Post by StarPhoenix »

Have any of you imported computer components from the US recently? How much extra does Customs slap on for electronics and how much shipping can one expect to pay for several kgs of goodies?

Together with a friend, I am eying out some of the deals on NewEgg and wondering how much I can save by bringing hardware in from the States instead of buying locally.

What, if any, are the legal issues around this?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I regularly buy from Amazon. I do a quick calc before submitting the goods past check-out.
I might be getting it wrong, but I am paying at most about 3-5% import duty - the final calc is made by Amazon's system and works well. Does not seem excessive at all.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I think it's closer to 16.5%...
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Question: If you order a Kindle Amazon gets a representative to pay customs on your behalf. Can you get them to do this with other products as well? I don't see that option anywhere. If not, what's the process? They deliver to my home and then I drive to customs with the package and pay myself?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
naughty

Post by naughty »

AFAIK there should be no import duties for computer parts besides for monitors where you will be subject to an import duty as well as sometimes an ad-valorum tax - but when importing computer stuff you will pay for processing and handling charges as well as the 14% VAT - this should add up to the amounts you guys are speaking off

normally most postage methods will be like amazon ie its paid on your behalf and when its dropped off you pay them COD to receive your item .... you wont get it till you pay what they ask for - sometimes if its fedex they request that you do an EFT and will only deliver when they confirm its cleared so you will then receive the paperwork for the VAT and other processing charges
How do they work around the customs department? Last thing I want to do is import something, pay for courier fees and then get slapped a hell of a customs bill as well?
you cannot bypass customs - if anything entering the country is liable for duties then you wont get away from that - you have to account for paying for the item as well as the related shipping and then the duties as well as processing fees and the vat on all of that at the time of entry - it depends on the nature of the item - second hand goods attract very little additional charges - whilst new stuff obviously adds a substantial amount but most of that is generally the VAT on the item and shipping thereof
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor