Neotel - - - Death to Telkom

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

R600 for a 2Mb, wireless, 10Gb capped connection... Oh fkn please... Not only is it slower than Telkom offerings, it's wireless latency makes international gaming impossible.

What, exactly, are you excited about?
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Rayne wrote:R600 for a 2Mb, wireless, 10Gb capped connection... Oh fkn please... Not only is it slower than Telkom offerings, it's wireless latency makes international gaming impossible.

Neotel is talking about ping in the region of 100
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

Death to Neotel plz.. They're here to milk us as much as Telkom, not bring prices down to internationally acceptable levels.
Since the promise to roll out internet services to regular citizens by a certain date was already broken once, I gave up on them.
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

KillerByte wrote:
Rayne wrote:R600 for a 2Mb, wireless, 10Gb capped connection... Oh fkn please... Not only is it slower than Telkom offerings, it's wireless latency makes international gaming impossible.

Nope. I read another article (may have been the same one) where they said latencies would be between 100 and 200, and for anyone who takes gaming seriously, anything over 100 is FAR too high.

Bummer hey :(
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Internet Access (Out of bundle) (Rands per MB) 0.08

That is R80.00 per gig and that is more expensive than telkom. :roll:
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

We were all hoping for too much.

Instead of one monopoly milking us dry, we now have two. Nothing more, and nothing less.

For R600, multiply the caps by ten, double the line speeds and allow totally free local usage. Then, I might me impressed and EVEN then, SA would STILL be lightyears away from international standards. Please do not think of SA as being third-world limited, trust is, third-world countries HAVE faster internet. The problem with SA is the uneducated masses, a minister of technology who doesn't know the diffirence between a bit and a byte who, in her retarded view, states that SA do not need better internet and does everythign within the departments power to keep it just so.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

but lets look at the benefits of Neotel.

A) its not Telkom
B) Connection period is promised at 48 hours
C) its not Telkom
D) no need to pay R400 for the connection like ADSL (think of the average user)
E) its NOT TELKOM

Yes, the costs are higher than we hoped for but have you noticed that they have been laying km's worth of fibre. That type of man power or equipment cost a fortune, so I am hoping that they will drop the prices once their network is setup and their costs are covered, give them time to mature as a company.
And to be honest I would rather pay Neotel than Telkom. Telkom have yet to install lines in my area so Neotel is my choice.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
KillerByte wrote:

Nope. I read another article (may have been the same one) where they said latencies would be between 100 and 200, and for anyone who takes gaming seriously, anything over 100 is FAR too high.

I wasn't quoting an article.
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

KillerByte wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
KillerByte wrote:

I wasn't quoting an article.
Were you quoting your brain?
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

actually I won't answer your statement
zerubabel

Post by zerubabel »

KillerByte wrote:actually I won't answer your statement

And you work for PCF, but don't know the difference between a question and a statement... :?
Fut Fut Fut Freestailo!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

KillerByte wrote:but lets look at the benefits of Neotel.

A) its not Telkom
C) its not Telkom
E) its NOT TELKOM
Hmmm... i don't see how the fact that i currently get my DSL from telkom is a problem.

- My line is ALWAYS connected
- My line is ALWAYS fast

Why is telkom the problem?
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

well I will go with Neotel just to take business away from Telkom, they have been raping this country for far too long. I like to promote competition.

Lets compare them for a sec.

Yes, ADSL is faster
Yes there are latency issues with wireless
But
For a similar product that will give you a 10gig cap, 2.4mbps speed which means that surfing and downloading won't be bad, i don't play that many games so gaming isn't a big issue for me, but i have seen WOW being played on a far worse ping than they are promising.

At the moment Neotel can't truly beat Telkom, but after the hate speech against Telkom over many forums I think that many people will switch over just to stick it to Telkom.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Well i certainly won't leave telkom and cost myself more cash JUST because they're telkom.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Me neither. That would just be stupid.

EDIT : And Neotel's a 2 year contract, lol.
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Yea and i buy a local cap anyway, so for me and upgrade to my line to maybe 1mb and im set.

COD4 online.

No need to move to something else when the line works fine and latency is good enuf. :wink:
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

well i don'r own a telkom line. my dad does. i just using his 4 now. till i working and get my own place.then i will consider who is better company. 8)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
gekoring

Post by gekoring »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:

A) its not Telkom
C) its not Telkom
E) its NOT TELKOM
Hmmm... i don't see how the fact that i currently get my DSL from telkom is a problem.

- My line is ALWAYS fast

I've resisted flaming, and choosing kb's side for a while but where the hell have you been the last 10 years? hiding in a cave? telkom is crap. You can't argue because it's true!

Yes, neotels offer is a great start... (I'm currently paying R400 for 2GB on mtn!)

But on the other hand we do not want cdma here EVER! It's the suxxors... Talk about having endless account problems for the rest of your life...

Ike[/b]
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

gekoring wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:

A) its not Telkom
C) its not Telkom
E) its NOT TELKOM

- My line is ALWAYS fast

I've resisted flaming, and choosing kb's side for a while but where the hell have you been the last 10 years? hiding in a cave? telkom is crap. You can't argue because it's true!

Yes, neotels offer is a great start... (I'm currently paying R400 for 2GB on mtn!)

But on the other hand we do not want cdma here EVER! It's the suxxors... Talk about having endless account problems for the rest of your life...

Ike[/b]
I've been right here for the last ten years. Let me further spell out what i meant so that you can refrain from "flaming" again:

1) My line is as fast as it's supposed to be
2) My line is NEVER down
3) While it's expensive relative to everywhere else in the world, it's STILL the cheapest ADSL you get in SA
4) Neotel is Wireless
5) Therefore, higher latencies
6) It's more expensive.

It REALLY doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that moving over to Neotel with their "great" new offering would be silly.

I'm 100% happy with Telkom. As much as i hate them for ripping me off, they provide the service i pay for, so i'm happy.
gekoring

Post by gekoring »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
gekoring wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:

A) its not Telkom
C) its not Telkom
E) its NOT TELKOM

- My line is ALWAYS fast

Ike[/b]
I've been right here for the last ten years. Let me further spell out what i meant so that you can refrain from "flaming" again:

1) My line is as fast as it's supposed to be
2) My line is NEVER down
3) While it's expensive relative to everywhere else in the world, it's STILL the cheapest ADSL you get in SA
4) Neotel is Wireless
5) Therefore, higher latencies
6) It's more expensive.

It REALLY doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that moving over to Neotel with their "great" new offering would be silly.

I'm 100% happy with Telkom. As much as i hate them for ripping me off, they provide the service i pay for, so i'm happy.

Yes, YOUR line is never off, and you download at 13gb's and have an uncapped line... good for YOU.

But for the rest of south africa it doesn't look as rosy, we actually have lots of problem with the old telkom. Your just acting like a buttplug on what would really be great news for the rest . :P We can finally expect prices to start dropping dramatically as hellkom tries to keep it's customers! :D
Tolklein

Post by Tolklein »

Comparing Neotel with Telkom is like comparing apples and oranges, when you compare what they have on offer, the R600 is easily worth it, if it's what you're looking for.

Their main selling point for me is the wireless connectivity, MTN is charging R2 a Mb with no bundle and R0.19 a Mb with their largest bundle, a whopping 2Gb, while Neotel comes in at R0.06 a Mb and they throw in some Extras to.

For us peeps milling around with our laptops, it's most certainly advantageous.
Click
gekoring

Post by gekoring »

yeah, not to mention if you use up your mtn data bundle you may not load another till the first expires :evil: You have to use it @ 2R/mb or get another simcard(in mtn's customer care's own words) :roll:
Borat

Post by Borat »

I hope that telkom still stays in business otherwise Neotel will have a monopoly.

Neotell is the One (Scramble neo and you'll get one(like in the matrix))

Note: all company's that name's end with "kom" give bad service.(like eskom)
Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

What none of you seem to take into consideration, or are seemingly unaware of, is the backbone that Neotel are running off. While they can be considered to be a first tier provider now since they have unfaltered access to the SAT3 cables, they still pay homage to Telkom in connectivity and bandwidth prices. Neotel can only offer prices as low as their costs permit them to, and currently we still have Telkom at the reigns of the primary bandwidth ownership.
Tolklein

Post by Tolklein »

Richard_ wrote:What none of you seem to take into consideration, or are seemingly unaware of, is the backbone that Neotel are running off. While they can be considered to be a first tier provider now since they have unfaltered access to the SAT3 cables, they still pay homage to Telkom in connectivity and bandwidth prices. Neotel can only offer prices as low as their costs permit them to, and currently we still have Telkom at the reigns of the primary bandwidth ownership.
Like the guy says,
Old News
or
Sat 3 Monopoly Ends
Last edited by Tolklein on 28 Apr 2008, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.