Considering linux

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hex_Rated wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Sagariouz wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I dropped useless XP and Vista ...
I34z1k wrote:And linux > windows.
I would love to see you guys say that in a windows programmer's face. If you have ever programmed anything bigger than a 'hello world' program, then you would know that you will punch a guys face in if he criticizes your program you have worked 3years on.
I really don't give a crap. MS coded windows like n00bs. I even heard one of them say it himself in a video i found on Youtube the other day. They said THEMSELVES that it was overly bloated and it could be less bloated.

Linux only has the code it NEEDS to work, and what's great is that that code is ROCK solid and it works. I don't give a crap if the windows programmer doesn't like that i think he could have done a better job. The truth is the truth.

Linux is optimized, it's perfect. Windows is broken.

I got so sick and tired of the random BSODs and the stupid "End Task" dialogs. I have only ever needed to FORCE kill an app in linux maybe twice. I've done it in XP and Vista more times than i care to count.

But this is not an MS vs Linux debate ;)
Err, no... Linux is a lot better at certain things and more efficient and secure, but there are certain sacrifices that need to be made to ensure that an OS appeals to the mainstream. The same problems that plague windows will manifest as Linux becomes more popular and mainstream. If it was as good as you think it is, it would have a much larger marketshare.
You're right, yes, but remember that the linux market IS growing ;)

Anyway, this isn't a linux vs MS debate :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

Lol
The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown, for the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity.

3000 Forum Points
Sagariouz

Post by Sagariouz »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:But this is not an MS vs Linux debate ;)
Indeed it isn't, I'm not sure why you jumped on your flaming horse, no need for that :wink:

But I'm impressed, we had a few debates this week about the different OS's, and this time you actually elaborated why you think linux is better. *thumbs up*
I34z1k wrote:Grow up and stop throwing your bloody toys out the cot.
And saying this makes you more mature than me...? Sure bud, keep telling yourself that.

Back on topic though. Gnome is a good environment for a beginner, and if you want to start with linux. But I use KDE, a bit more advanced, and there is a lot more it can offer you.
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

If OpenGL 3.0 is all it is cracked up to be (DX10 killer)... and gaming support in Linux just grows a smidgen more I will be back to Linux in a heartbeat...
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Sagariouz wrote:I'm not sure why you jumped on your flaming horse, no need for that.
Err... i wasn't flaming... not at all :| I was replying to your post "I'd love to see you say that to a programmer".

Sorry if it came across as a flame :)
Last edited by DAE_JA_VOO on 04 Nov 2007, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

O ja thats the other thing will I be able to play games?
The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown, for the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity.

3000 Forum Points
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Not really :)
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

so i will have to dual-boot to play games

3000 Forum Points
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

In most cases yes.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

O okay... And will I be able to install it on an External HDD?

3000 Forum Points
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

bootsie wrote:Used Suse before - not very user friendly (older versions) dont know abiout the current versions.
I've been playing around with openSUSE 10.3 (the latest version) this weekend - reinstalled the FRAG server box with that distro. I find to be very intuitive with regards to using it. Granted, it's still more suited to servers than desktops, but it does the server job extremely well. (Which is a good thing, because the person who'll be looking after that box doesn't have much upstairs.) I don't think I'll ever use anything else on that box.

For power users looking for a server distro, Gentoo can't be beaten - but you have to know EXACTLY what you're doing; it's not that user-friendly. Much of your work is from the command line. Which is exactly how I like it, by the way.

I suppose that Ubuntu is the best choice for a desktop box - however, I'm in no position to comment on it, having never used it myself.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Xp3reMental wrote:so i will have to dual-boot to play games
Not really, depends on the games you want to play, WINE has support for some Windows games, and I've heard a lot about Ubuntu Gamers Edition

And yes, Ubuntu is the best distro in my opinion
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

O okay so I wiill play my games on Windows till I know Linux good enough

3000 Forum Points
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Thats a good idea. I only got rid of XP a while ago, took me about 2 months to get the guts to use 100% Linux
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

Lol I'm a bit scared to but i'll try it and see how it goes...

Silv3r are you using compiz?

3000 Forum Points
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Its all good man. I was also pretty nervous even just installing Linux, but I got used to it pretty quick and forced myself not to boot into XP and so learnt how to do things in Linux

Im using Beryl, also a GUI tool thingy, which Judas will tell you is old software, go with CompizFusion, which is Compiz and Beryl in one app and apparently its really powerful!!
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

O okay will remember thet...

And as 4 the apps will that run on linux?

3000 Forum Points
Judas

Post by Judas »

Xp3reMental wrote:O okay will remember thet...

And as 4 the apps will that run on linux?
Most apps that you're used to from Windows, like Winamp and WMP, unfortunately won't work. There are numerous alternatives though - Amarok, Audacious and mplayer, for instance, are all great media players that run on Linux.

There are also a few apps that run on both windows and Linux - Firefox, Opera and Thunderbird to name but a few.
'One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.'
- Friedrich Nietzsche

'Do not argue with Judas, nube, that would be foolish!'
- D3PART3D
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

Good because I use Firefox in XP how about IM's and that stuff I use skype and MSN

3000 Forum Points
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Gatsby is that you? (sorry for the OT)
Judas

Post by Judas »

Xp3reMental wrote:Good because I use Firefox in XP how about IM's and that stuff I use skype and MSN
There is a version of Skype for Linux, and loads of programs that work with MSN: Pidgin, GAIM, Kopete, aMSN...
'One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.'
- Friedrich Nietzsche

- D3PART3D
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Judas wrote:
Xp3reMental wrote:Good because I use Firefox in XP how about IM's and that stuff I use skype and MSN
There is a version of Skype for Linux, and loads of programs that work with MSN: Pidgin, GAIM, Kopete, aMSN...
Pidgin IS GAIM. Gaim no longer exists, as it's name was changed to Pidgin ;)
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

O okay cool....

Now I asked this a few time but I got no awnser...

Will I be able to install Ubuntu onto an external Hard-Drive?

3000 Forum Points
Judas

Post by Judas »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Pidgin IS GAIM. Gaim no longer exists, as it's name was changed to Pidgin ;)
Quite right, but some distro's are continuing to maintain their own versions of GAIM 2 Beta, so it's still an option ;).
- Friedrich Nietzsche

- D3PART3D
Judas

Post by Judas »

Xp3reMental wrote:O okay cool....

Now I asked this a few time but I got no awnser...

Will I be able to install Ubuntu onto an external Hard-Drive?
Absolutely, that won't be a problem.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

- D3PART3D