Considering linux

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Xp3reMental

Considering linux

Post by Xp3reMental »

Hallo there I'm hearing more and more about Linux and it's stability..
So I want to try it out but I don't know where to start...

So i have a few questions the first one is What distro do I use? From what i've heard SUSE and Ubuntu is the favorites but I want to know which is best for a first time linuxer.
The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown, for the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity.

3000 Forum Points
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Ubuntu ultimate. I want it. It has the best resources.
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

Do you use Linux yourself?
The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown, for the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity.

3000 Forum Points
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Waiting for a copy of Ubuntu. Not gonna waste my time getting anything else.
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

O okay why so?

3000 Forum Points
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I34z1k wrote:It has the best resources.
And linux > windows.
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

o okay what do you mean by
resources.

3000 Forum Points
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Oh my sack, you are not going the right way about this buddy.

Its a well known distro. A noob can easily read up on how to do things on it.
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

Ok i understand now... sorry mind still having weekend

3000 Forum Points
bootsie

Post by bootsie »

Used Suse before - not very user friendly (older versions) dont know abiout the current versions.

Currently all the rage is around Ubuntu - n if u do encounter probs thers alot of guys on the forum usin this distro, so u shud b helpd.
Toshiba A-100 Satellite Pro - C2D - 2 GHZ - ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 256 MB - 1 gig Ram - Harmon Kardon Sound :)
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

o okay so Ubuntu Ultimate?

3000 Forum Points
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

What are you going to use it for?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

Don't know yet.. But I want to make a file server for backups

3000 Forum Points
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I'd say you should try Ubuntu. I've used many different Linux Distros and Ubuntu is by far the easiest to learn. I dropped useless XP and Vista a few months ago for Ubuntu. I've used Ubuntu Ultimate as well, which was cool, but felt a bit bloated for me. Ubuntu 7.10 is the newest build and it's fantastic :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

O sounds shweet. So i think i will get me that Ubuntu Ultimate 7.10 and a "Linux for Dummies" or something.. Where do I get Linux?

3000 Forum Points
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

If you havnt used Linux before I recommend going with a Ultimate build, purely because it has apps there for you and it was a good starting point for me

You wont regret moving to Linux
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

Sounds promising and what enviorment will you suggest?

3000 Forum Points
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Xp3reMental wrote:Where do I get Linux?
You can have them send it to you, for free, or you can download it from the site - Here

You can also download it locally. Let me know if you want a mirror. Alternatively, you can get it from a freedom toaster :)

Xp3reMental wrote:Sounds promising and what enviorment will you suggest?
Ubuntu uses gnome by default, which i prefer anyway. Gnome paired with Compiz makes for a wonderful desktop environment :)
Sagariouz

Post by Sagariouz »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I dropped useless XP and Vista ...
I34z1k wrote:And linux > windows.
I would love to see you guys say that in a windows programmer's face. If you have ever programmed anything bigger than a 'hello world' program, then you would know that you will punch a guys face in if he criticizes your program you have worked 3years on.
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

Awsome free and 700mb so wont kill my cap...

What is Compiz?

Sorry 4 all the questions

3000 Forum Points
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Sagariouz wrote:
I would love to see you guys say that in a windows programmer's face. If you have ever programmed anything bigger than a 'hello world' program, then you would know that you will punch a guys face in if he criticizes your program you have worked 3years on.
I really don't give a crap. MS coded windows like n00bs. I even heard one of them say it himself in a video i found on Youtube the other day. They said THEMSELVES that it was overly bloated and it could be less bloated.

Linux only has the code it NEEDS to work, and what's great is that that code is ROCK solid and it works. I don't give a crap if the windows programmer doesn't like that i think he could have done a better job. The truth is the truth.

Linux is optimized, it's perfect. Windows is broken.

I got so sick and tired of the random BSODs and the stupid "End Task" dialogs. I have only ever needed to FORCE kill an app in linux maybe twice. I've done it in XP and Vista more times than i care to count.

But this is not an MS vs Linux debate ;)
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Sagariouz wrote:
Ok. I will if I have the opportunity. Sure...

Critisism exists in humanity, from art, to actions. That's just life. Deal with it. I don't see what's so great about Windows Vista. I mean after how many years? Its crap considering that. Grow up and stop throwing your bloody toys out the cot.

BTW DJV I need to organise to get some goodies from you ;)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Xp3reMental wrote:What is Compiz?
THIS is compiz:

Youtube link
Xp3reMental

Post by Xp3reMental »

WOW thats amazing looks gr8 and fun :P

3000 Forum Points
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Sagariouz wrote:
I really don't give a crap. MS coded windows like n00bs. I even heard one of them say it himself in a video i found on Youtube the other day. They said THEMSELVES that it was overly bloated and it could be less bloated.

Linux only has the code it NEEDS to work, and what's great is that that code is ROCK solid and it works. I don't give a crap if the windows programmer doesn't like that i think he could have done a better job. The truth is the truth.

Linux is optimized, it's perfect. Windows is broken.

I got so sick and tired of the random BSODs and the stupid "End Task" dialogs. I have only ever needed to FORCE kill an app in linux maybe twice. I've done it in XP and Vista more times than i care to count.

But this is not an MS vs Linux debate ;)
Err, no... Linux is a lot better at certain things and more efficient and secure, but there are certain sacrifices that need to be made to ensure that an OS appeals to the mainstream. The same problems that plague windows will manifest as Linux becomes more popular and mainstream. If it was as good as you think it is, it would have a much larger marketshare.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64