local download solution?

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Read my post above VinceThePrince
VinceThePrince

Post by VinceThePrince »

.... I can already hear the copywrite guys going insane... You will not be charging for the data... You will charging for the service of downloading the data....
Admiral Of The First Task Force - 1st South African Fleet [ Star Trek: Online]
*****Luciendar J Bethesda*****
***Ships: The USS: Kit Rae and The USS: Kabal***
** Science and Exploration Officer **
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Why would they be though? If its free apps, demos and trial software there are no legallities involved as far as I can see
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

What I can do is when I open my online store I can post up what I have downloaded, and a request line for you guys and you can order stuff like that
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Hman wrote:Maybe we should approach a few companies who could pay for the server space in trade for advertising space on a main entry site?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
VinceThePrince

Post by VinceThePrince »

silv3rback wrote:Why would they be though? If its free apps, demos and trial software there are no legallities involved as far as I can see
The reason is that copywrite law (even on demo's) is that you cannot sell the data for profit without the express written consent of the owners.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

silv3rback wrote:What I can do is when I open my online store I can post up what I have downloaded, and a request line for you guys and you can order stuff like that
Thanks man, cool, now that the DVD issue is sorted can we maybe start working on getting something for us to be able to download to put on those DVD's? Ja, we can approach companies, like PCF for example. I think we're busy doing that. But we want it to stay here at PCF for members only. Ideal would be just a downloads area with a few mods keping check just like any other thread, FTP access to upload with your account usrnme/pass and must be logged in to access the downloads area.
VinceThePrince

Post by VinceThePrince »

I agree with the idea that Synthesis has... PCF already has the staging area for a setup like this.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Will not work. The same will happen as is happening with the for sale section. People register just for that... Suddenly the forum gets flooded with non-active members... This is a discussion forum. Unfortunately if we want a download thing we would have to look at our own option guys...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Also, this would force PCF to accept responsibility. It opens them to a lot of liability... What if prn or pirate stuff is posted and the admin miss it for a day?
My BF2142 Stats:

VinceThePrince

Post by VinceThePrince »

Can we not make some kind of ruling that should your account be(come) inactive, that you will no longer be allowed to access to that section???
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

How will you administer this? Who will have access to this?

What if I post once in 4 months?

How do you determine what is active and what not? To who do you give access to users accounts to manage this, becoz Cameron sure as hell wont...
My BF2142 Stats:

WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Sorry I've missed so much. Gonna try and address the issues at hand here

Copyright: Thing is, if Im gonna be downloading and sending out copies I wont be making a profit. R10 for a DVD & R35.90 for shipping. No mark up there

User rights: Make it so that you have to have a certain ammount of posts to access the download area or something. After all guys, it is a forum which is free so if people use it to download content, they still using a service that PCF is supplying, just like the forum

*EDIT: With user control, I dont mind taking the rights on to do this, if people start abusing the service we just kick them off, but yet again, why would you want to control who downloads and who doesnt, in my view its just being stingey (spelling?!)
douglash

Post by douglash »

silv3rback wrote:User rights: Make it so that you have to have a certain ammount of posts to access the download area or something. After all guys, it is a forum which is free so if people use it to download content, they still using a service that PCF is supplying, just like the forum
that would work, but maybe even better that the users have to post a certain amount of posts on a monthly basis, otherwise non-active members will just post their required amount and then never again..

damn - this is quite intricate, but a very very good idea... 8O
Cure

Post by Cure »

User rights: Make it so that you have to have a certain ammount of posts to access the download area or something. After all guys, it is a forum which is free so if people use it to download content, they still using a service that PCF is supplying, just like the forum
Just don't make that required post count to high now... some of us don't spam all that often.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

OK, limiting users to access the download section is possible BUT the PCF team will have to implement a phpbb mod that does this

Something along the lines that after you reach 100 posts for example you get a PM sent to you with a username and password

On the other hand, why limit the users?? It doesnt really make all that much sense to me
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Because, as I said, otherwise you get just another download site where hundreds of people register and PCF have to take the grunt of the cost due to the bandwidth usage on their site... Downloading game demos will take up considerable cap usage...

Also, if you just limit on post count, I can just join, spam like tribble for 2 days and BANG, I have access... Thus no true contribution to these forums were made and I get free local download options...

Also, if limiting to posts was very easy, PCF would have implemented this some time ago in the for sale section.

There is costs involved and I dont see PCF picking up the bill for free...
My BF2142 Stats:

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Uh, guys... Pcf makes a chunk of cash off people who buy the mag just for the coverdisk. They'd lose so much money if they were to do what we're proposing... Unless they make it open to subscribers only?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Point taken :wink:

Maybe we should have an application of sorts for users to fill out and it gets checked up mods or something...
After it has been passed you get a username and password and there you go: download

Going back onto topic though, are we planning to use P2P or server based networks?
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

D3PART3D wrote:Uh, guys... Pcf makes a chunk of cash off people who buy the mag just for the coverdisk. They'd lose so much money if they were to do what we're proposing... Unless they make it open to subscribers only?
Was also thinking along those lines. I highly doubt any company would just give GB's of cap away for us to download data :?
What about the p2p thing though, users would just share what they have, simple. No need to buy domains and TB's of space.... think about it
supagx

Post by supagx »

There is one other small problem with the p2p idea:
Uploading/seeding also counts to your cap, so people who have limited bandwidth are still a bit stuck.
AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+ | Asus M2NPV-MX | Radeon 3850 512MB | 2GB DDR2-800 Corsair XMS2 & 2Gb DDR2-800 OCZ Gold | Western Digital 250GB SATAII | Samsung 500GB SATAII
Cure

Post by Cure »

Also, if you just limit on post count, I can just join, spam like tribble for 2 days and BANG, I have access... Thus no true contribution to these forums were made and I get free local download options...
If we did use post counts then we'd also have to check post history to ensure no spamming... that a lot of extra effort. Although a post limiting system just asks for spamming, since a user will register now and expect to download now.
Uh, guys... Pcf makes a chunk of cash off people who buy the mag just for the coverdisk. They'd lose so much money if they were to do what we're proposing... Unless they make it open to subscribers only?
And here I actually buy it for the articles :wink:
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

supagx wrote:There is one other small problem with the p2p idea:
Uploading/seeding also counts to your cap, so people who have limited bandwidth are still a bit stuck.
As we said before, the guys with uncapped lines will contribute. Also, guys with 5GB+- could also seed a little bit. Sharing is caring remember :wink:

Cure wrote:If we did use post counts then we'd also have to check post history to ensure no spamming... that a lot of extra effort. Although a post limiting system just asks for spamming, since a user will register now and expect to download now.
As I said before, make an application form of sorts and get someone to check it out before giving the user access
Cure

Post by Cure »

As we said before, the guys with uncapped lines will contribute. Also, guys with 5GB+- could also seed a little bit. Sharing is caring remember
In the case of bittorrent you share while you download so that's going to eat up cap.
douglash

Post by douglash »

slasher wrote:Also, if you just limit on post count, I can just join, spam like tribble for 2 days and BANG
ouch - that's nasty...

damn, i almost spammed again....

back on-topic - ok, so maybe the posts count thing isn't the greatest idea, but then how else? what about a reputation count, like they use on SS and Overclock.net?