Your favourite computer shop story Thread

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Mr_Norris

Your favourite computer shop story Thread

Post by Mr_Norris »

Hi there,

In the name of educating fellow posters, and for entertainment purposes, I have started this thread.
This thread is a thread [duh], where you can post your wierd/shocking/funny computer shop experiences.

To start off, I have one :D

The other day, I was talking to the guy who replaced me at my old job.
We were talking about computers, and he went on to tell me that he is getting his new AMD chip that costs R7000.

One thing you have to realise when you talk to this guy, is that you should ALWAYS take what he says lightly.
So I said "Ok..".
Then he tells me that its an FX. So I asked him which one. And All I got from him was "Its an FX".
Then I gave him a one on one lesson on AMD FX chips, and how they are numbered.
He didn't know the number...
Then I went on to explain that AMD is a waste of money. And that his 5000+ X2 is just 7 seconds faster in superpi than my old P4 3 gig SINGLE core. And that my Core 2, which is 200 MHz slower, is 14 seconds faster than his. Which led to the conclusion that AMD is just a waste of money.

After that, the conversation faded. But the one that started after that literally left me speechless..

The guy then went on to tell me that he wants to get 64bit XP.
My response was like "Thats cool".
Then he told me that he might take my advice and move to vista [at last].
But he was looking for the 64 bit version.
I took matters into my own hands, and explained the reasons why he should stick with 32 bit for now.

Then he told me the reason why he wanted to go 64bit.
According to him, His board and his RAM supports Dual channel.
And he told me, that the only way he would get it to work, is if he installed a 64 bit OS, it would enable his dual channel to work. And when this happened, IT WOULD CHANGE HIS 2 GIGS of ram, TO 4 GIGS!!!!!
What happened next, was mixed emotions. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! It was flipping hilarious!
After that I did some educating, and explained what exactly dual channel ram is, what it does, and what you need to do it.

If anyone can beat this... Go ahead!

Edit: If its in the wrong section, feel free to move it. Wasn't quite sure where to put it
qace

Post by qace »

ooh I like this technology :
IT WOULD CHANGE HIS 2 GIGS of ram, TO 4 GIGS!!!!!
Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day.
- \\\\\\\"Ancient Chinese Proverbs\\\\\\\"
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

My favourite experience was given a little corner of the PCF letters pages about a year or so ago.

A friend walked out of Incredible Corruption in Alberton City, proudly brandishing his shiny new copy of Encarta Encyclopaedia. I asked how much he had paid, and he said something like R700. I told him that I had seen it on Take 2 that same morning for likr R500 (I think I'm remembering these prices correctly, but you get the gist anyway), and suggested that we take his back to IC, try to get a refund, and buy it on Take 2 instead.

So I went with him into the shop and we spoke to the guy who had helped him. When he asked why we wanted to return it, I explained to him that we could get it R200 cheaper on Take 2. At which point he explained to me that their Microsoft Encarta is of better quality than the one sold on Take 2.

So, apparently, M$ make Encarta for the general populace, but then a special, high quality version particularly for Incredible Corruption.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

schase wrote:My favourite experience was given a little corner of the PCF letters pages about a year or so ago.

A friend walked out of Incredible Corruption in Alberton City, proudly brandishing his shiny new copy of Encarta Encyclopaedia. I asked how much he had paid, and he said something like R700. I told him that I had seen it on Take 2 that same morning for likr R500 (I think I'm remembering these prices correctly, but you get the gist anyway), and suggested that we take his back to IC, try to get a refund, and buy it on Take 2 instead.

So I went with him into the shop and we spoke to the guy who had helped him. When he asked why we wanted to return it, I explained to him that we could get it R200 cheaper on Take 2. At which point he explained to me that their Microsoft Encarta is of better quality than the one sold on Take 2.

So, apparently, M$ make Encarta for the general populace, but then a special, high quality version particularly for Incredible Corruption.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!

OMW, those n00bs at IC are oblivious to ANYTHING related to PCs.

WOW that's funny! :lol:

One time i went into an IC close to where i stay looking for a Tablet PC for my dad (i don't care who says what, IC do have some decently priced notebooks). I walked up to one of the guys and told him i needed a tablet PC. He looked back at me as if i was speaking spanish. I mean WTH!!!! A tablet PC!!!!
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I went to IC in Springfield park in Durban one Saturday to buy a PCI USB card.
After explaining th the sales guy what I needed, he goes to another isle and comes back with a PCI FireWire card.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:(i don't care who says what, IC do have some decently priced notebooks)
For the record, I agree there. Particularly when they have specials, they have some really good deals.
_SamIAm_

Post by _SamIAm_ »

LOL best stories are from the "experts" at IC....

Not joking went to IC the other day asking for Bioshock and they look at me like i crawled out a piece of cheeze... i mean one of the biggest latest releases and they havent a clue what i was talking about...
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

nowhere near as hilarious as the posted so far,

but remember phoning a guy at a place called Home PC wanting to know how much their rounded IDE's were... to be shocked that the oke asked me what is an IDE cable... :)

at first I tried explaining how the thing looks (rounded) to again be shocked that somehow this guy could still not understand that saying the cable is in a rounded plastic cover...

so thinking maybe my explanation of the whole rounded cable was maybe bit off, tried first finding out if the oke knew wth an IDE cable was... :)
yes you guessed it, he didn't :D

I then decided to just go to the damn place and have a look myself cause this explaining was gonna take a while...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

My one was like 3 years ago ..

I installed Win 98 Se. I cant remember which CPU he had . I think like a 2.4ghz

With the DirectX version that came with the Pc it could only detect the CPU to a certain speed. say eg. 1ghz

The cleint brought his Pc back and said I ripped him off and I put in a slower CPU than what he paid for.

I opened the case and showed him the CPU the box it came in and everything.
And explained he needs to install all his previous software and games on the PC , and that the games will install a new version of Directx and it will display the right info.

For some reason he did not want to update ?

He got clever saying he will phone the police...

I told him to go to another shop to find out if I am lying .

I installed a new version of DirectX and it displayed the right CPU speed.

He then thought I was trying to trick him .

So he took the Pc to another PC shop where they called me after he left.

They all cracked out laughing at this ( . ) who shouted " I grew up with PC's and now more than you do, all you techies are tryig to fool me a steel my cash"
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

and don't you all agree it is always so sad to see these "all knowing pc guru's" that can afford the best kick-azz systems around, and yet they have trouble installing simple updates... :cry:
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Hehe IC.

They had a special on their "executive chairs". So I decide this sounds like a good deal, so I go there looking to buy one of the mid back versions. I get there, look for said chair but unfortunately they were out of stock and the fools got confused about the prices, so I walked away with a R200 more expensive "high back" chair for the price of the "mid back" version.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

Speaking of IC, killerbyte and I wanna go in there as total n00bs, and request an AMD intel machine.

We just need a tiny camera, to record, or a voice recorder
TheMartyr

Post by TheMartyr »

i used to work as a techie, i had this client who came in and started telling me how he had this PC that was so super advanced that he kept it in a special room in his house.
Apparently he had the room fitted with Aircons so it was freezing cold in there.

now this was about 3 or 4 years ago and he claimed to be running an AirCooled 6ghz processor... (lol) im not sure how he claimed to have gotten the cpu, but it was apparently some super chip that he imported and no SA shop could have it (by now i was trying to hold in the lolz)

also the PC had some super duper ATI gfx card that no one but him had ever heard of... and it cost him like 10grand!
yea right!
he was pointing out a Geforce 6800GT telling me its a rubbish card compared to his Super ATI gfx card thats imported and doesnt actually exist in SA. apparently his card was 3x better!

this happened in east london while i was living there.
Hello im a signature
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Man I remember some kid coming in to the internet Cafe at like 7am and left 5 pm.

I was wondering why this dude is so quiet.

I cam around the corner and this guy looked at me with huge eyes sweating like pig.

I thought "what is up here.

So I left it for a like a while and came around the corner again only to fine the guy chocking his chicken..

I just turned around and did not know what to do.

My boss came round the corner only to let out a " SHEEEEEEEEW"

They guy go up after hour and wanted to pay..

I had one look at him and his money then his hand
"dont worry about it bru keep it..really"
Last edited by Acidkidsa on 19 Oct 2007, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

OMG 8O
Hman

Post by Hman »

Lollies at the above two stories.

You know, I've got this 8-way quad core ITX mobo at home, I'm selling it for like R100.

Edit: Oh, and you can jerk off to it.
Last edited by Hman on 19 Oct 2007, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

Acidkidsa wrote:Man I remember some kid coming in to the internet Cafe at like 7am and left 5 pm.

I was wondering why this dude is so quiet.

I cam around the corner and this guy looked at me with huge eyes sweating like pig.

I thought "what is up here.

So I left it for a like a while and came around the corner again only to fine the guy chocking his chicken..

I just turned around and did not know what to do.

My boss came round the corner only to let out a " SHEEEEEEEEW"

They guy go up after hour and wanted to pay..

I had one look at him and his money then his hand
"dont worry about it brew keep it..really"
We have a winner! :lol:

Seriously. I don't think anybody can top that story!

a
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

TheMartyr wrote:i used to work as a techie, i had this client who came in and started telling me how he had this PC that was so super advanced that he kept it in a special room in his house.
Apparently he had the room fitted with Aircons so it was freezing cold in there.

now this was about 3 or 4 years ago and he claimed to be running an AirCooled 6ghz processor... (lol) im not sure how he claimed to have gotten the cpu, but it was apparently some super chip that he imported and no SA shop could have it (by now i was trying to hold in the lolz)

also the PC had some super duper ATI gfx card that no one but him had ever heard of... and it cost him like 10grand!
yea right!
he was pointing out a Geforce 6800GT telling me its a rubbish card compared to his Super ATI gfx card thats imported and doesnt actually exist in SA. apparently his card was 3x better!

this happened in east london while i was living there.
That reminded me of two cops who came into our shop looking for an Intel Athlon FX 64 78000+ , or something along those lines. This guys was actually being serious and ripped on me and telling me I shouldn't be in the IT industry, because I didn't knowwtf they were on about. Happened about a year ago.
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
TheMartyr

Post by TheMartyr »

wow thats a bad one
Why the hell would he catch a wank in an INTERNET CAFE!!!!
how old was this guy?
Hello im a signature
Hman

Post by Hman »

It was possibly raining outside.

Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

TheMartyr wrote:wow thats a bad one
Why the hell would he catch a wank in an INTERNET CAFE!!!!
how old was this guy?
He must of been like 16 or 17.

He came in with books from school and all that...

typed in Google "animals" and problem came across "Animal Sex Farm"

I was really miff feeling! You don’t know what to do when it happens..

The sick part was he was so nervous as hell and even when we bust him he carried on, then all of a sudden you hear "click click click" and he is staring a the blue Desktop with like 8 web sites open at the bottom ...

His browser history proved it all.

That internet Café was condemned after that…
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Acidkidsa wins... 8O
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Indeed.

What a little pervert :lol:
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

Its like the time I was asked for help, and I went to the computer where he was sitting [he always sat there].

Google he opened...

And he started to type... The letter 'i' he typed,
And good ol internet explorer displayed "Incest secks"

I lol'd
TheMartyr

Post by TheMartyr »

img incest secks!!!!
nooooo....

acidkid - did he see you look at him while he was playing with himself?
and he carried on??
omg i would have gone into the back and blocked his internet with a msg saying "Leave Now!"
Hello im a signature