Visual Basic for Applications - Advice needed plz

Get help on programming - C++, Java, Delphi, etc.
SilverBack

Visual Basic for Applications - Advice needed plz

Post by SilverBack »

Hi everyone,

I work at a law firm in the IT Dept involved in custom application dev there. As you can imagine...most of the lawyers use MS Word for everything. We have custom templates for letter etc etc.

Now, we need some new templates written and a bunch of other custom additions written for Word. I have been told VBA is whats used to do this...and as I have VB experience, I thought it would be fine.

But...isnt VBA very old? Is there not a newer relase of it I can use instead like VBA.NET or something? I dont want to get VBA if its real old software...I wanna use the latest stuff.

Also...what books can be recommended for VBA etc? Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

VBA is like a castrated version of VB5.

What do you do in the templates that require VBA?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

there's always VB.net ... which will require that you deploy the latest .net runtime as well..

there's a tonne of online tuts available..
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

rustypup wrote:there's always VB.net ... which will require that you deploy the latest .net runtime as well..
Yes, I recommend that you Google for "Visual Studio Tools for Office" if you have Visual Studio and some decent programming knowledge. It's harder to do, but more worthwhile.

The Office object reference model (Google for that too) will also be of great help.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Thanks for the input so far! :wink:

Ok...so the lawyers use word. We have custom templates created with VBA for the way documents need to be presented. So if they are doing something involving litlgations, they can select the litigation template and it sets all the font, line spacing etc etc for the document. So we need VBA to created these templates and manage them, and insert menu's into word to they can easilt select a desirec template etc.

There are also other additions we will be adding like being able to click on a selected ending for certain documents and it inserts it instead of them having to retype the same standard conclusion every time.

With some documents, it needs to insert a specific letter head or footer automatically...so ja...we need to use VBA for this.

Some lawyers open an Excel file in word and it messes up. Then we get helpdesk calls saying whats going on etc etc. So ja...they dont even realise what they do sometimes...so VBA will also be used to check the right file is opened with the right software...basically need to check for user error...

No disrespect to lawyers...but they are lazy...and we need certain additions added onto Word to make things easier for them. Understandable I guess.

I wanted to use Visual Studio Tools for Office, but I see its only for Office 2007...and we have Office XP. So Im gonna stick to VBA for now...as they need it yesterday....then will upgrade when we move to Office 2007.

So there ya go...the full story! If anyone has some input...PLEEZ share...thanks for the help thus far :wink:
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

I did my in-service training as developer @ Old Mutual with VBA and got everything I needed from http://www.ozgrid.com/forum
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Shweet. Thanks....will take a look!