August Issue Issue

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

August Issue Issue

Post by GreyWolf »

I find it extremely ironic that in the August issue of PC Format, Luis spends 3 pages insulting and putting down a reader who dared promote de-fraging, where-as 8 pages before that there is a review and article on some de-fraging software, where the reviewer not only gives the software a good score but also promotes the whole idea of de-fraging.

Is someone in control here or is it all put together by some chimps at Jozi zoo?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

The main reason I stopped buying the magazine is because of all the UK content in it. :(

Ask Luis is a UK column afaik. Maybe somebody did not read his column at all before the mag was sent to print :(
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Who cares? That was one of the funniest replies I have read by Luis in a long time.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Luis should be a judge on Idols. He is not only against defragging, partitions and anti-virus but a host of other things as well. Remember that his ramblings are his own and do not necessarily conform with those of the magazine. He writes for some other mags as well.
I laughed because after all the stuff about how much of a waste defrag was he says that after his experiment he got the unit to boot 24 seconds quicker, he seems to think that that is nothing, I think it is not too shabby at all. I would defrag for 24 seconds any day! :P
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Yes, as Lance said, Luis's opinions are his own, and not necessarily the views of PCF itself.

Personally, I didn't notice, and if I had, I probably wouldn't have cared that much. When it comes to contrasting views like that, my take is pretty much "each to his own".

(Was still really funny to read though.)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

I agree the article was good. I laughed my a$$ off. Especially the 24 seconds part, and how you would need to reboot 600 times to get back the time he spent de-fraging.

But some consistency maybe would be in order? I mean say I am a first time PC user, so I pick up the mag to get some advice, and I am hit by these 2 contradictory articles. Put yourself in those n00b shoes...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Grey, go out and kill a cat :P
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

You know I would, but they got all these court orders against me after the whole SPCA incident ... I have had to resort to pulling the legs of flies for fun...
- H. L. Mancken