Project: ATX Cube Case

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Thanx Samaya. But thats my question...exactly which cables must be connected where? there is one more cable from the superman front panel then from the vizo audio jacks.
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

So, I took some time and I quickly drew a pic of the cables to make it a bit easier.

What do you guys think? Is it possible? How must it be done?
douglash

Post by douglash »

did the Vizo panel not come with a cable guide?
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

douglash wrote:did the Vizo panel not come with a cable guide?
Nope it didnt, when I got mine I flipping battled to get the cables connected properly

Dean, if you manage to get those audio cables sorted out, dont you wanna let me know how you did it :wink: It looks damn complicated though 8O
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Will do Silv3rback. I really wanna do this. I posted the same question on 4 seperate forums, maybe someone will be able to help.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

DeanMF wrote: VIZO Audio Cable Image
Referring to TOP LEFT image of Vizo - How is the 2 jacks split up - As in which wires go where? Im guessing top 3 to one jack and bottom 3 to other jack??

Which one would be line in and which line out? Please split that jack into a bit more details...

K thx bubye...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

DeanMF wrote:Will do Silv3rback. I really wanna do this. I posted the same question on 4 seperate forums, maybe someone will be able to help.
Cool stuff. If I figure something out or find something I'll let you know dude
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Slasher wrote:
DeanMF wrote: VIZO Audio Cable Image
Referring to TOP LEFT image of Vizo - How is the 2 jacks split up - As in which wires go where? Im guessing top 3 to one jack and bottom 3 to other jack??

Which one would be line in and which line out? Please split that jack into a bit more details...

K thx bubye...
I guess the first three cables are for the first jack (line out) and the second three to the second jack (line in)
douglash

Post by douglash »

ok, i might be wrong, but is the Vizo panel grounded already by something else? or does it need the ground to be connected?

i would have to say for the LINE IN and OUT connectors:

we need to determine what is Power and what isn't, normally RED (and YELLOW) supplies power, therefore:

white - white
red - yellow
black - red
(it's only audio, so if it's not correct, it just won't sound right, then try something else)

for the MIC connectors from the Superman cables, do the same, but exclude the black GND connector from the superman pins:

white - white
red - yellow
black - red

the reason i say RED - YELLOW is that MIC BIAS is definitely for POWER. therefore the superman panel more than likely uses the YELLOW cable to supply power, and the Vizo panel uses RED to supply power...

i'm searching the net, but nothing found yet...

btw - i'm not saying do the above, but it makes the most sense to me so far, until i can find something that is 100% conclusive...

EDIT: oh yeah, i meant to say this yesterday, NICE CASE!!!
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Okay wow! this is the first solution I have recieved so far, and I must say, I would never have though about it this way. Thank you so much!! i will wait for the 100% conclusive answer before I try it though :wink:

Can I damage something if I connect it wrong?
douglash

Post by douglash »

as far as i know, No, it is just audio...

i could be wrong though...

think of when you wire speakers wrong in the car, you get feedback, etc. or you just don't get power, the only time something will go wrong is if you short it out, which you can only do if you touch + and - together, which you won't be doing anyhow...

i mailed Vizo, let's see what they say... 8)
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Thanx a mil douglash :wink:
douglash

Post by douglash »

is the name of your other case Superman or who is the manufacturer? i want to see if i can get the front audio cable connector guide for that case, that might help...
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

I was a generic case which I just modded the side panel into a huge superman sign with the nlue lights.

Its a generic front panel that had the 2 audio ports and 2 usb slots. Same as on almost all generic cases.
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Okay doug. I got your mail. thanx man!

So, I take it that your post on how to connect the cables was correct then? Or should I wait just a bit for you to check up on the mobo manual?

I wanna try and connect the cables later this afternoon :wink:
douglash

Post by douglash »

i got the manual, it says nothing different than what you stated for the front panel audio header...

let me put it this way - "I" would try it...

if "I" were to try it, i would just put the pins on the connectors and try diff combinations.. but "I" woudl only try the one set until i know for sure..

sorry - if i find anything else, i will definitely let you know...
:P
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

If you decide to try anything I would recommend using a cheap set of R40 odd speakers from Matrix or some crap lying around - dont blow your decent set or even just damage them... You just need to make sure that power is supplied the right way around or it will damage most speakers...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
douglash

Post by douglash »

If you decide to try anything I would recommend using a cheap set of R40 odd speakers from Matrix or some crap lying around - dont blow your decent set or even just damage them... You just need to make sure that power is supplied the right way around or it will damage most speakers...
i think that is a very good idea...

thanks Slasher!!
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Thanx a mil doug. I wil try it how you gave it to me. Will let you know if I came right.

The only thing is, I can only test it over the weekend when I install the Vizo.

Not to sound too noobish, but which plugs goes where on the mobo front audio panel thingie?
douglash

Post by douglash »

how was your superman case's front audio connected?

cos that's just the point i came across just now?
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

I cant remember really..... But, dont worry, I'll figure it out. As long as I know I cant damage the mobo if I connect something wrong.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Ok dude, If you have a multi meter with a continuity check then it is easy to get it right. The tip of the microphone jack is where your audio goes out of the MIC. The ring is USUALLY for the bias and the body of the jack is ground. So what you would first need to do is make sure which colour wire is connected to the tip, ring and body of the jack. You would need to connect the body of the jack to your mobo's "AGND" pin (I am assuming the black wire is the ground pin), connect the ring to "MIC2_RR" (Assuming its yellow, also it seems your MoBo has a stereo microphone) and finally connect the tip to MIC2_RL (Assumed red) If you mic does not work move the ring to the VCC3 pin and then know that you don't have a stereo mic.

For the line out, The tip and ring is audio, left and right (I cant remember if the tip is right or left) and the body is ground. Connect the audio wires to LINE2_RR and LINE2_RL, then connect the ground to RET_L and .._R. Test and see if it works. I honestly cant tell you if that will work but just try it.

Precausions: Don't short anything out, especially between the MIC bias and ground and if there is sound being sent through the line out and it is shorted to ground. Actually, that would only be a real problem if the computer has power. So best would be to just switch the PC off while you are working on it... (I can hear everyone go: "WELL DUH!!!"). Anyway good luck.

Nice case again :wink: :wink: :wink:
douglash

Post by douglash »

If you have a multi meter with a continuity check then it is easy to get it right
damn - i knew i should have paid attention to my dad (the electrician/radio mac)... :D

@Dean - let us know... Good Luck!
Last edited by douglash on 22 Aug 2007, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Dean, I really admire you for doing this! I didnt think it was going to be as complicated as Samaya just said. Best of luck with this dude :bigups:
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

Oh gosh.... I am soo confused right now!! tonight, I will take the posts, and try and draw them out on a piece of paper to try and figure it out.

Hell! i never knew it would be this complicated remove jacks and connect pins to the cables.