Fans

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Fans

Post by wizardofid »

Hi

What is the MAX load you can put on 400WATT PSU.?I want to insert some more fans.
My System:

P4 2.6 GHZ
Intel D865GLCL Mobo
256DDR(333)
FX5200
DVD+CRRW combo
CDROM
40 GIG SEAGATE
20 GIG IBM
USB Modem
USB Gamepad
USB keyboard
4 build in Neon Lights
All hardware is always connected(I damn hope so)

I got 6 Fans I want to insert. Plus 4 neon lights

2 Front
1 on sidepanel
2 Rear
1 GPU

I got space for 2 onboards connections.(Want to run GPU and one of the above from them)Now the problem is I got no more PSU plugs and spilters are very hard to find.What do I do now..??
Now I 4 fans not connected plus the lights. How do I connect these with out spilting the cables to much..??Yes and I do need the fans CPU running around 50 'C.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
axis_K

Post by axis_K »

don't know about the rest, but why not get a few old broken psu's and take out the plugs and modify them for splitters, i used 2 do that
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

But won't that be too much power drain...??
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
axis_K

Post by axis_K »

try it, and if your pc isn't stable, get a 550w

btw. your avatar aint working
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

See it's working again...!!!
550watt is R695.00 bit much don't you think..?? :cry:
I'm not going two play around with a 2 day old PC not recomemded...!!! :lol: Mabye mod in a second PSU.??Do they make USB fans..??
The_Master

Post by The_Master »

Hey Wizard

I sympathise with the power supply and fan connectors.
It's usually a bit of a prob if you want to connect that many fans.

Just a few questions firstly though.
Is that CPU temp at idling or under load :?:
Are you using the Heatsink & Fan that came with the processor :?:
And seeing as I haven't installed any Neon lights myselg yet,
I was wondering how much heat they are generating.
The lights are cool and all that but is it worth building a jet engine with all those fans just for the look of it :?:

Here are a few suggestions though if you haven't tried it yourself yet :)
Try a little thermal paste on the CPU to help with the heat transfer.
The placing of those fans make a big difference too.
Try get fresh cool air in the front of the case, & have extractor fans take all the heat out the back.
First just try add 1 Fan in the front and 1 in the back and see what effect you get.
Another thing to look at is your IDE cables. They block a lot of your air flow. You get rounded cables that are designed for better air flow.

PS
I'd love to see some pics of your case when your done with those lights 8O
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

The_Master wrote:Hey Wizard

I sympathise with the power supply and fan connectors.
It's usually a bit of a prob if you want to connect that many fans.

Just a few questions firstly though.
Is that CPU temp at idling or under load :?:
Are you using the Heatsink & Fan that came with the processor :?:
And seeing as I haven't installed any Neon lights myselg yet,
I was wondering how much heat they are generating.
The lights are cool and all that but is it worth building a jet engine with all those fans just for the look of it :?:

Here are a few suggestions though if you haven't tried it yourself yet :)
Try a little thermal paste on the CPU to help with the heat transfer.
The placing of those fans make a big difference too.
Try get fresh cool air in the front of the case, & have extractor fans take all the heat out the back.
First just try add 1 Fan in the front and 1 in the back and see what effect you get.
Another thing to look at is your IDE cables. They block a lot of your air flow. You get rounded cables that are designed for better air flow.

PS
I'd love to see some pics of your case when your done with those lights 8O
Hi thanks for the reply..!!
Nope CPU is running around 46+- work load idling around 38+-
Yes I'm using the heatsink that came with it.
Nope haven't gotten any for inside YET...Lamps tubes mounted in front still wondering how I can connect them with the HDD LEDS..any ideas..??

About The fans got them all working here's the setup:
2x Fans in front of case bottom blowing in.
Side fan middel blowing in.
PSU & back fan blowing out.(space for one more)
Still working on the top one have to drill the hole.!!
I've neaten up the cables wires and stuff I didn't know I have...still waiting for results mabye '3 less
What I've got is this:
System CPU runing at 39
System zone 1 at 32(where the hell is this)?
System zone 2 at 38(this one too)?
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Regarding the sizing of a PSU and how much wattage you are pulling or need, Butterfly posted this link sometime ago.
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Have a look and do the calculations!
:)

I think Thrall may also have posted one, cannot find it!
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

This is what I got.!

Your Recommended Minimum Power Supply is Watts!!* 361 so I'm still fine.......um I hope..!!
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Sounds OK, if you are worried about blowing the system, put inline fuse on the PSU!
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

I'm very worried...!!!! 8O 8O
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

LOL Wizard

Go to a larger W output then, word of advice, do not buy the cheapest, manufacturers sometimes take engineering short cuts and although the wattage delivered is correct, the components are suspect!
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Might be worried too much being a new system.....But being so damn $$$....First want to see if it will last at least 2 weeks..!!
nutcase

Post by nutcase »

I've been watching my own p4 3.0GHz for a while now. It usually runs around 49/42/45. Now I would like to get it down. The plan is to simply replace the two standard fans with better ones.

Does anyone know where to get 80mm fans with +3000rpm and +40CFM? And no, the Coolermaster Aero blower does not do the job! It only has a 20CFM rating!

So far I have located one supplier with some good fans. Check out http://www.mantech.co.za

Answer to wizardofid's question:
System CPU runing at 39
System zone 1 at 32(where the hell is this)?
System zone 2 at 38(this one too)?

On my board (intel 865PERL) there are three temp sensors. One on the chip die, one remote ambient sensor next to the processor seat and close to the upper edge off the board towards the back of the board. The other is on the other side of the seat a bit further away yet still close to the edge of the board. It seems they all measure the temperature around the CPU? A bit confusing if you ask me. Got the info from intel's site, look for the technical documentation for the board in question. I'll post the url for my board later.

Also I would try changing the direction of the two front-bottom fans to blow out. Yes, that might just create a vacume. keep in mind though that compressing air causes it to heat up. Decompression will cool it down, if you don't believe me, take your deoderant and spray it for a minute or two. If the can becomes warmer I will concede... The second effect will be a shorter path for the air to flow. Air from your PCI/AGP cards and hard drives will go out the front and the air from your cd/dvd rom/RW, CPU, PSU aout the back. The side fan will compensate for the heat generated by the drives. This is just a hunch :? , but probably worth a try!

There is only one thing you HAVE to do in life....DIE!!!!
nutcase

Post by nutcase »

Here's the link to intel's D865PERL Technical Product Specification. http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/rl_prdoc.htm

Look on page 42 for the location of the sensors.
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Interesting, nutcase - thanks for the info :-)
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Thanks nutcase. :roll:
Thug4life

Post by Thug4life »

I think it should be fine. I was running a very similar system on a 240w power supply till recently. Molex splitters are fairly easy to get hold of but don't your fans come connected to a sort of extension bit of power cable anyway? Most good fans do and if they arn't good quality you might as well dump them now cause the noise they make will drive you mad. Don't worry bout blowing things. All that will hapen if you are short of power is that scaning for your drives when you start up your PC will be slow cause there is not enough power to get them spinning fast enough. Also you could get alot of blue screens!
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Haven't recieved any problems yet.I'll rather run the the risk of blowing the power supply then having a hot CPU..Once again I moved my fans around again and have a overall case temp of around 33 CPU temp 35!!For aircooled this is the best that I can do for now planning on getting a LG Aircon with a tube connected to the pc Side cover with a side fan.One of my friends has done this and got a cpu temp of 16 idling and 21 workload...!! :twisted:
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

One thing though, with so much air flowing through the case due to all the fans, you're going to get a **** load of dust building up inside the case! This dust carries with it a small amount of moisture, which, over time, will cause corrosion of your internal components. I would suggest that you put dust filters on the intake fans to catch the incoming dust. The filters do, however, hinder the effectiveness of the fans, so you might want to have one more fan sucking in than sucking out (ie. 3 intake, 2 exhaust).

That is my setup, and it works like a charm. Three intake fans in the front of my case (1 directly in the front, 2 on the right hand side) all with dust filters, and 2 exhaust fans at the back (not including the PSU exhaust fan). I also have inline switches with all the fans, as it becomes really annoying trying to study with a jet engine next to your ear!

Intel P4 1.6Ghz Northwood overclocked to 2 Ghz - idle 35, load 50!

Good enough for me :lol: - good luck! 8)
neon_chameleon wrote:

Im 22 next week and I cant commit to what Im going to eat for breakfast. I mean cereal is so boring but its quick, and eggs take forever to make and theres the toast to make sure you dont burn....
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

NinjaTic wrote:One thing though, with so much air flowing through the case due to all the fans, you're going to get a **** load of dust building up inside the case! This dust carries with it a small amount of moisture, which, over time, will cause corrosion of your internal components. I would suggest that you put dust filters on the intake fans to catch the incoming dust. The filters do, however, hinder the effectiveness of the fans, so you might want to have one more fan sucking in than sucking out (ie. 3 intake, 2 exhaust).

That is my setup, and it works like a charm. Three intake fans in the front of my case (1 directly in the front, 2 on the right hand side) all with dust filters, and 2 exhaust fans at the back (not including the PSU exhaust fan). I also have inline switches with all the fans, as it becomes really annoying trying to study with a jet engine next to your ear

Intel P4 1.6Ghz Northwood overclocked to 2 Ghz - idle 35, load 50!

Good enough for me :lol: - good luck! 8)
I used normal coffee filter bag works quite well for me.But that 50 isn't it a bit high..??
Last edited by wizardofid on 08 Jan 2004, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

50 under load is quite fine, I know many guys who are running at 50 degrees idle!

50 is the highest that I can get it, manufactures rekon anything under 75 is fine!

The dust filters I bought from a small computer shop here in Durban, quite expensive - R22 each - but they come in 3 parts, connect a plastic piece to the case, put a thin piece of foam then clip on the outer piece, - really easy to clean!
neon_chameleon wrote:

Im 22 next week and I cant commit to what Im going to eat for breakfast. I mean cereal is so boring but its quick, and eggs take forever to make and theres the toast to make sure you dont burn....
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

NinjaTic wrote:50 under load is quite fine, I know many guys who are running at 50 degrees idle!

50 is the highest that I can get it, manufactures rekon anything under 75 is fine!

The dust filters I bought from a small computer shop here in Durban, quite expensive - R22 each - but they come in 3 parts, connect a plastic piece to the case, put a thin piece of foam then clip on the outer piece, - really easy to clean!
I haven't reached 50 in about 2 weeks now....42 was the highest I got.

A 35 to 50 jump is quite big what are the rest of your temp readings..???And fan speeds..?? :?: 8)
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

50 is the highest its got, hot day perhaps, but on an average day its at 36 - going up to about 45. I don't know the speed of my fans (most probably 3000rpm) - they're not connected up to the mainboard! My over clock is quite a bit though, so a hike in temp is expected (1.6 - 2.0 = 25% overclock!)
neon_chameleon wrote:

wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

tic ah see your overclocking makes huge diffrence...!!! :P :lol: