Fans

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
butterfly

Post by butterfly »

When inserting more fans into the system, keep in mind that each fan pulls watts, and daisy chaining the whole lot is not a good idea, as each lead coming from the power supply can only supply so much, I'd recommend you distribute the fans and place one in daisy chain with each HDD / CD-Rom, thereby distributing the load across the whole power supply unit.
I am who I am :D
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Since we are on fan topic...

Our CPU averages 59 on no load idling... We have 3 big case fans, one cpu fan, one gpu fan...

Before installing two case fans, it once or twice struck 90, still running stable!!

Now it only reaches about 70, and we have never had a problem with it...

How do I drop my temperature, and is it reaaallllly that neccesary??

We have flat IDE cables, cannot afford rounded ones and have just enough, so I dont wanna mod them myself to rounded ones and have noe... I cannot afford new IDE cables at the moment....

Any budget cooling solutions anyone??
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Well I'm working on a new 4 fan PVC pipe cooling idea but it's only going to work with a 4 bay tower system with two cdroms or a 3 bay with one cd rom. It's +- R300.00 project but you should see a HUGE diffrence 10 to 20 degrees.PM me if you want some info on building it your self.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

I'd like to have a look at that wiz!
butterfly wrote:When inserting more fans into the system, keep in mind that each fan pulls watts, and daisy chaining the whole lot is not a good idea, as each lead coming from the power supply can only supply so much, I'd recommend you distribute the fans and place one in daisy chain with each HDD / CD-Rom, thereby distributing the load across the whole power supply unit.
I was under the impression that all the molex cables are connected to a common set of connections, then it won't matter. Also I think it's very important that you connect the fans in parallel rather than in series, so as to decrease the overall resistance.
neon_chameleon wrote:

Im 22 next week and I cant commit to what Im going to eat for breakfast. I mean cereal is so boring but its quick, and eggs take forever to make and theres the toast to make sure you dont burn....
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

Slasher wrote:Since we are on fan topic...

Our CPU averages 59 on no load idling... We have 3 big case fans, one cpu fan, one gpu fan...

Before installing two case fans, it once or twice struck 90, still running stable!!

We have flat IDE cables, cannot afford rounded ones and have just enough, so I dont wanna mod them myself to rounded ones and have noe... I cannot afford new IDE cables at the moment....

I'm thinking you got a problem with ur temp sensor or something of that sort! A Cpu running at 90 degrees is like a death sentence! What mobo are you running slasher? Maybe you should try using another proggie to read the temps of ur CPU, northbridge etc. With that much cooling any CPU will run fairly cool and most probably with sub 55 degree temps! That does sound a bit fishy, maybe there is no Thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink but i think that it is either the proggie or a faulty temp sensor there!
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

wizardofid wrote:Well I'm working on a new 4 fan PVC pipe cooling idea but it's only going to work with a 4 bay tower system with two cdroms or a 3 bay with one cd rom. It's +- R300.00 project but you should see a HUGE diffrence 10 to 20 degrees.PM me if you want some info on building it your self.
Just to add here is some more info.

Still busy with it should be done by next week the metal housing for the fans is taking a bit longer then expected.

Well the basic idea behind this is to have a fan directed at your PSU for the PSU.This is made up of 2 x intake fans one based in front a second one about 5 to 20 cm from the PSU.The PSU cover needs to be moded to allow airflow.
This all depends on the size of your case and might need three fans.There are other possiblilities for cooling the PSU I was looking at a second fan in the PSU.(My theory not sure if it will work."Get your overall case temp down before thinking of cooling your CPU")Correct me if I'm wrong.I have a Idling CPU of around anything from 30 to 35.Now my over all case temp is anything from 30 to 40 idling,so bringing down the overall case temp will assist better cooling of the CPU as your hot airflow will be removed a lot faster (theory).

Now the idea behind cooling your PSU is that it's almost in most cases just above the CPU or next to CPU.The PSU fan extracts air from the case this is hot air and this would heatup the PSU a fair amount.

The second set of fans need a little more modding this includes PVC or coper piping(still working on) at angle of between 45 to 90 and up to 4 fans. The idea is to have an extraction fan in the upper part of the case for easy hot air extraction.The pipe then can be directed to any needed part if direct air extraction is needed from you CPU area one can point to that area.

If you have any ideas that could help please post. 8)
Keep you posted.

Should have some pics next week.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Fishzn

Post by Fishzn »

Well that project of urs WID might just be an idea worth patenting, if you come right and it does manage to cool ur PC suffiently. If you don't patent the idea however please be so kind as to post some blueprints and piccies of the projedt as it becomes a working model. I would definitely want to try something like this out, as i have the powertools and the time!

Hope you do come right with it and then share it with the rest of us! I'm holding thumbs up!

One thing that does puzzle me is that ur temps are sterling and i really don't see the need for you to cool it down any further unless you plan on some major overclocking and benching!
"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Well I've been playing around with the idea for awhile now.Since water cooling is fairly expensive and doesn't matter how safe they say it is.I don't trust it as far as I can throw a rock.

Well if I can get a system to run at 20 degrees with aircooling who wouldn't want to do it? 8)
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

I completed the biggest part of the mod yesterday afternoon and WOW..!! Thats all I can say.

I broke my old record.
CPU temp 29 idling =underload 38
Overall case temp 30 idling =underload 36

I had to change the mod to fit the case.I was hoping to fit in two fans in front and two at the back I was 40mm short of what I required to build the perfect mod :cry:.

So now I have to settle with 2 mods, First mod for the PSU wich I haven't done yet and the second mod for the drive bay.I've taken the pics and should be avaible this week.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Fishzn wrote:
Slasher wrote:Since we are on fan topic...

I'm thinking you got a problem with ur temp sensor or something of that sort! A Cpu running at 90 degrees is like a death sentence! What mobo are you running slasher? Maybe you should try using another proggie to read the temps of ur CPU, northbridge etc. With that much cooling any CPU will run fairly cool and most probably with sub 55 degree temps! That does sound a bit fishy, maybe there is no Thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink but i think that it is either the proggie or a faulty temp sensor there!
Actualluy, I have a biggish server case...

I use two proggies { BIOS and COOLMON }
I dont think there is anything wrong with sensors, and it is actually running stable, so... should I really dish out R300 when I plan to upgrade in a month or three...

Wizard - Id love to see about that cooling, please send me more info...

I guess I have the hottest running stable CPU around here :P :P :P
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Sure will do as soon as I'm done with every last bit.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Okay got my mod pictures loaded it's not 100% done still need to be smoothed out and spray painted.

If doesn't work try this

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse. ... ted=651759
Thug4life

Post by Thug4life »

A bit late but the best budget cooling I know of it the AERO and JET series coolers. Have a look at http://www.coolermaster.com/. They are high pressure blowers and they look bloody marvelous
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Thug4life wrote:A bit late but the best budget cooling I know of it the AERO and JET series coolers. Have a look at http://www.coolermaster.com/. They are high pressure blowers and they look bloody marvelous
Thanks I am looking for new fans the old one's are giving problems. :roll: :lol:

But one can however get cheaper one's that does the same job, and even with the same RPM.