TIPS Has anyone got it?

Network problem solving and tweaks
Madgic

TIPS Has anyone got it?

Post by Madgic »

Telkom has just launched a new "product"
TelkomInternet powered by Satellite

TelkomInternet Powered by Satellite (TIPS) is an asymmetrical Internet service offering that is always available and can be virtually installed anywhere within the South African borders
http://www.telkomsa.net/MRTelkomLaunches.jsp
http://www.telkomsa.net/products/tips.jsp

Is this worth looking into? Your opinions would be appreciated. 56k dialup is a pain!

:?:
When life kicks you in the guts, you better be ready . . . or go to gym and build up your 6-pack!
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Reading the article regarding the Sentech entry into this same market the prices seem prohibitive. The article is at home but if I remember correctly we are talking plus R1500.00 per month depending on bandwidth. The start at 64 and go to 128 for about R3000.00

http://www.sentech.co.za/

Not too much on their site about it but their contact details are there.

The Telcom idea is to use it for outlying areas but the pricing is not going to differ much!
g3ck0

Post by g3ck0 »

looks interesting... just expensive though :cry:
Athlon64 3700+ San Diego || DFI NF4 Sli-Dr || Chaintech 6600 GT || 80GB Seagate ATA100 || 2x512 Mushkin Redline XP4000 || Cooled by: VapoChill PE
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

1. You're still connecting via Telkom, so it's the same people we all want to avoid getting a phonebill from - so that's no reason to get it, obviously.

2. You're still capped - and the price is horrendous:
a. 16k upload and 64k download (with 500Mb cap) - R 998.24
b. 128k upload and 512k download (with 3Gb cap) - R 3,018.54 (similar speed to ADSL, but slower uploads)

Nope, not for me, thanks - it's a rip-off

Edit: And useless for gaming, if that's your thing - satellite-lag is between 700 and 900 ms on average)
Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
Madgic

Post by Madgic »

Thanks for your replies. :twisted: I really couldn't stand seeing johanvv's name as the last person to post anything!!! Every time I saw his name at the bottom of the webpage it made me mad. That wasn't the only reason though. I do need to get a faster Internet solution as I'll be working mainly from home from now on. Surely there must be some way of finding out if there is anyone in the Durban area doing "wireless", which is the way I really want to go. An IT guy told me about a friend of his in the Hillcrest area who was doing it, but I've lost touch with him since he changed jobs. Isn't there a register or something of (wireless) service providers? Anyone knowing of anything, please post it here.

When life kicks you in the guts, you better be ready . . . or go to gym and build up your 6-pack!
skunkymunky
Permanently Banned

Seizure Test

Post by skunkymunky »

dammit wrong topic

where is the delete button
Fool people into thinking youve got a horse by taking off a unicorns horn
Madgic

Post by Madgic »

:lol: Never mind - try the edit button next time! Also check your PMs!