PCF PM Question -

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
beerman

PCF PM Question -

Post by beerman »

Quick question ...

When I send a PM and it's in the Outbox, but not the Sent items list, what would be the reason for this? And hwo do I make it go from the outbox to actually being sent!?

Thanks

Beerman
My 2c ...
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I think when the person reads it it will be in sent?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Right, time for everyone's favourite phpBB expert to come and give a lesson on the private messaging system.

When you send a private message, it gets put in the Outbox. During the time that the message is in the Outbox, it can be edited or even deleted entirely (in phpBB3, the administrator can set a time limit after which edits or deletions are no longer allowed). Once the recipient reads the message, it gets moved to Sent Items.

Hope this answers your question. :D
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
FUSED

Post by FUSED »

Yup.
beerman

Post by beerman »

Perfect thanks!
My 2c ...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ron2K wrote:Right, time for everyone's favourite phpBB expert to come and give a lesson on the private messaging system.

When you send a private message, it gets put in the Outbox. During the time that the message is in the Outbox, it can be edited or even deleted entirely (in phpBB3, the administrator can set a time limit after which edits or deletions are no longer allowed). Once the recipient reads the message, it gets moved to Sent Items.

I figured that out already, but here's an interesting question: What happens if the recipient logs on and views the message while I'm editing it? Probably a completely pointless and entirely hypothetical question, I know, but I was just wondering.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

schase wrote:
Ron2K wrote:Right, time for everyone's favourite phpBB expert to come and give a lesson on the private messaging system.

I figured that out already, but here's an interesting question: What happens if the recipient logs on and views the message while I'm editing it? Probably a completely pointless and entirely hypothetical question, I know, but I was just wondering.
I was thinking the exact same thing a while back
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I swear we all thought of that 8O
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Although I'm not too sure of this one, I guess that if it gets sent while you're editing it, you'd probably get an error message of some sort when you try and click "submit". I'm sure that the people who wrote phpBB thought of this one. :D

It's probably like what happens if a moderator locks a thread while you're replying to it or editing a post within it; you get an error message saying that the thread has been locked. (This seems to happen to me quite a lot - very frustrating, but absolutely nothing that I can do about it.)

Unfortunately, I can't test this out, as I don't have a test phpBB2 board - my test board runs phpBB3.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ron2K wrote:Although I'm not too sure of this one, I guess that if it gets sent while you're editing it, you'd probably get an error message of some sort when you try and click "submit". I'm sure that the people who wrote phpBB thought of this one. :D

It's probably like what happens if a moderator locks a thread while you're replying to it or editing a post within it; you get an error message saying that the thread has been locked. (This seems to happen to me quite a lot - very frustrating, but absolutely nothing that I can do about it.)

Unfortunately, I can't test this out, as I don't have a test phpBB2 board - my test board runs phpBB3.
Makes sense.