Starcraft 2 Official!!!

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Off-The-Chart

Re: Starcraft 2 Official!!!

Post by Off-The-Chart »

Normal Difficulty :D

my bad should have probably mentioned that :P
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

yep, read that this morning.

personally I don't really mind. for 1, Diablo will most likely be released in that time.e (hopefully)

also, if it is gonna be anything like WoL, then it will be worth the wait imo.

getting a Zerg uniqueness just like the Terran in WoL will definitely be worthy of a waiting period.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

That's okay, it gives me time to save for other things in addition to the CE for it should there be one like there was for WoL. :)

And I'm pretty sure I did do that mission once on Hard and once on Normal and nufffin', no FoS achievement for me. :(
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

I did it once and never got it, but then I realized I actually made use of my marines and the kill probably went to them instead of the bot.

busy battling my butt off with the Media Blitz HARD achievement.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

I got that the other night, it is quite tricky, have you got Vikings yet? As well as the command centre upgrade that gives you access to M.U.L.Es? What I did was to use Tychus to decimate the base straight in front of him, but only focus on unit producing structures and the missile turrets. Then work your way down and kill what ever you can, again focusing on unit producing structures.

You won't be able to get all of them, but you should get at least two. Now when you get control of your base you need to be quick. Very quick. Call down MULES constantly to gather minerals, as well as train SCVs to gather minerals and gas if you didn't take Automated Refineries. Don't worry too much with marines, though it would be a good idea to build a missile turret near your barracks for when the top base sends Banshees to you as well as one or two siege tanks for when they send vikings your way.

Now what I did was build an additional Thor to send with Tychus along with the one that Swann sends down for you to start attacking the left overs on the right side. You will also need to send at least three 3 SCVs with to repair the Odin and the Thors along the way, but be sure to kill any ghosts first or else they will use snipe to take out your SCVs.

Whilst this carnage is going on you should have a Starport going so that you can begin mass producing vikings for the last two upload points. To begin the first upload use a Thor to hold position on the way point and use Tychus to kill any approaching troops, his ability comes in useful here for taking care of mass groups of units and the SCVs can keep him alive to deal with the Battlecruiser, but sending some Vikings to help take it down if you have any also helps.

Once the upload is complete, bring your Vikings up to the middle base along with Tychus and the other Thors. If you know the map well enough you will know that Dropships approach from the right hand side near the ramp when you begin the upload, this is where the Vikings come in useful as they can shoot down the dropships before they drop many, if any, troops. Once the second upload is complete, start moving towards the 3rd base, using your vikings to spot for the Odin so it can destroy missile turrets and using your Vikings to deal with Banshees. Once in the base try take out the Starports using the Odins ability then begin the upload, again by using a Thor to do the Upload and using the Odin to defend it and the Vikings to fend off aerial attacks.

With this strat I was able to do the mission in just under 20 minutes, I came in at about 19m38s. I read that you can also do it with massive amounts of marines and medics, but I found that constantly repairing the Odin works better. :)

Oh ya, I almost forgot, skip the cinematics as I think they count towards your total time.

EDIT:

On a side note, on the mission In Utter Darkness how many units was everyone able to kill? I just played it on Hard to complete the achievement for all 29 missions completed on Hard and I was only able to get 2606 kills. Has anyone done better or even breached the 3k mark?
Last edited by Xiphan on 10 Oct 2010, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

I think my biggest problem is waiting for stuff to repair, especially the Odin.

it can actually take quite a beating so it isn't really always important to be full health.

I do the back base (from which tanks come) and I manage to take out the starports at the top base to prevent air assault (not when you broadcasting ofc).

yeah also use the vikings and by knowing where the enemy is coming from it makes it quite easy.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Maybe the starcraft 2 pcf friends list should be merged with this one.

Anyone tried to play starcraft 2 recently? I got tired of wow tonight and when I wanted to play with my brother the map download stops at 70% and just says failed. I tried downloading maps one by one and it worked fine for the first map. After that it just refused to finish any other downloads.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Leave the game open for a while and go have some coffee, it seems to dl other things in the background. Once whatever it is busy with is done the maps will dl - or at least that's how it's been for me the last two updates.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

BNet was down most of yesterday for me - with a message about maintenance work...

I haven't played since going to patch 1.2, but I see Protoss got a couple of boosts to the Pheonix... great, as if my TvP wasn't bad enough already...

At least there were no Terran nerfs this time.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Question: what will the Zerg campaign bring to the multiplayer?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Hoping they add a snow terrain and 2-3 extra unites per race would be nice. Eg lurker aspects again.
My Steam Screenshots

StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic ... 063?page=1

So it worked... and when it stopped working we had to fix it? Sigh sauce.
My Steam Screenshots

StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

OK without doing anything... it just started working tonight.
My Steam Screenshots

RiaX

Post by RiaX »

jamin_za wrote:BNet was down most of yesterday for me - with a message about maintenance work...

I haven't played since going to patch 1.2, but I see Protoss got a couple of boosts to the Pheonix... great, as if my TvP wasn't bad enough already...

At least there were no Terran nerfs this time.
finally, the phoenix was a piece of rubbish compared to scouts and corsairs, air to air with protoss was a joke
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

RiaX wrote:the phoenix was a piece of rubbish compared to scouts and corsairs, air to air with protoss was a joke
The scout was an awesome A2A unit. Corsairs, not so much unless you massed them.
The Phoenix is still far from being a front-line A2A unit. Protoss have so much variety on the ground, plus the carrier and mothership in the late game, I don't think the race is really hurt by a lack of front-line A2A, unless island maps become popular again...
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

jamin_za wrote:
RiaX wrote:the phoenix was a piece of rubbish compared to scouts and corsairs, air to air with protoss was a joke
The scout was an awesome A2A unit. Corsairs, not so much unless you massed them.
The Phoenix is still far from being a front-line A2A unit. Protoss have so much variety on the ground, plus the carrier and mothership in the late game, I don't think the race is really hurt by a lack of front-line A2A, unless island maps become popular again...
lol not quite right. Carriers and the mother ship are weak if they focused down. Secondly corsairs were far superior to scouts because they were cheap, they had fast attack speed and SPLASH damage so a group of muta or wraiths were pwnt vs them. Not to mention they could break any terran wall defense with disruption web. There is no need to mass them 5 or 6 corsairs can easily take out 12 to 15 muta.

Another thing air is very important on any map if the game drags into the late stages then as a protoss player you disadvantaged, as if maurders arent strong enough for a tier 1 unit :/, at the end of the day toss' a2a and a2g is pathetic compared to sc1
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

RiaX wrote:Carriers and the mother ship are weak if they focused down.
EVERYTHING is weak if it is focused down - I know you have above-par micro - I've seen you play. Don't cry about stuff you can easily avoid :P
RiaX wrote:Secondly corsairs were far superior to scouts because they were cheap, they had fast attack speed and SPLASH damage so a group of muta or wraiths were pwnt vs them.
I never played as Zerg in Brood Wars so I cant speak about PvZ, but my wraiths went down to scouts easier than to corsairs. A battle cruiser could get sniped in 2 shots by an upgraded group of scouts. Lets see your corsairs take on a BC...
You know Toss better than me so if you say they were better I'll believe you, but as a Terran playing against Protoss in BW I'd refer to face off against corsairs in A2A. As for disruption web, it WAS good against a wall - but we are talking A2A here...
RiaX wrote:Another thing air is very important on any map if the game drags into the late stages then as a protoss player you disadvantaged, as if marauders arent strong enough for a tier 1 unit :/, at the end of the day toss' a2a and a2g is pathetic compared to sc1
I dunno, charged void rays are still a nightmare, and in the time it takes to micro down 2 or 3 carriers, the rest of the toss army has usually made mince of my army - marauders and everything. I am just glad they did away Arbiters. Those things were the devil.
And the SC2 AI is just as silly as the one from SC1 in that if you leave your units they focus the interceptors instead of the carriers. But they boosted the AI so that your units now give repairing SCV's the same priority as attacking units in a fight...
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

nah i've never lost to void rays unless it was some stupid cheesy rush :/ to kill void rays you gotta use marines or alot of low hp units that gives a break in the attack and softens the void ray's damage, void rays are for buildings and BCs. They still have arbies its just called a mothership now. The problem starts with the decrease in movement speed of both mothership and carrier this results in the unbalance in a2a PvT, BCs are suppose to be far more powerful but they slow and since carriers are slower now its easier to pwn them.

you really get to see the limitations of protoss when you play high level games, terran has always been the strongest race even in sc1 but now the gap is too big between the races with again zerg drawing as the weakest.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

- Elon Musk
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/2373651#blog

Also a few vids on www.gametrailers.com with the interview vid.
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Hey jamin, we can jam SC2 again! ;) I promise I still suck! :P
/wonder if D3 will get global co-op...

http://www.techpowerup.com/165641/StarC ... More-.html
StarCraft 2 Getting Global Play, and More!
As Blizzard winds up to launch StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm later this year, it's also preparing to finally roll out some features fans have been asking for since before SC2: Wings of Liberty launched back in 2010. These include resuming multiplayer matches from replays, playing in other global regions, and watching replays together with other folks. These features and more should be patched in "at or around the launch of Heart of the Swarm," production director Chris Sigaty wrote in a blog post. Resuming from replays will help tournaments go smoother, as SC2's lack of a LAN mode means that problems with a Internet or Battle.net connections can spoil a match.

Rather than starting over from scratch or having judges rule on whether to award the win to one player, they'll be able to pick up where they left off. Global play will let you, as you can probably guess, play on other regional servers around the world, rather than being limited to your home region. Multiplayer replay viewing is a feature from the original StarCraft but cut from the sequel, for when you fancy watching a replay with some chums and discuss the game together. Multilanguage support, a clan/group system, and unranked matchmaking are also in the works.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

:lol:
We could play together right now if you wanted...
I still have my account on the EU servers :P
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

hmmm i havent play sc2 in ages
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

I dont even have the game installed :oops:

*edit*

Well what do you know, game files are still on my game hdd. Busy applying the 4 patches now ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.