Starcraft 2 Official!!!

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Starcraft 2 Official!!!

Post by StarBound »

Ok above comment aside the game feels more like an rpg than rts. But so far so good. Pre renders are my only complaint.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
KimKagan

Post by KimKagan »

This thing takes forever to install.

Most impressive thing about the collector's edition is the box. The book is kinda meh.
Well that's just super.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Yeah it doesn't move on the install screen. Was at like 2% for about 10 minutes. Then it started downloading the 800mb patch.
My Steam Screenshots

KimKagan

Post by KimKagan »

I've had to install this twice no, for no apparent reason, and both times have taken about an hour.

Not at all impressed with how lazy they've been so far. The original game had a cool feature during installation that told you about the events of the previous game. This one just has a stupid link.
Well that's just super.
KimKagan

Post by KimKagan »

Okay, I installed it, but it's not available? When I try to play the campaign, it only has the HotS movie available as an option, then asks me to "upgrade" something? What's the deal?

Also my account it apparently locked for no apparent reason.

What gives? -_-

E: got it working. What a mess.
Well that's just super.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/11/408998 ... 2-heart-of
PETA to hand out Zerg anti-abuse pamphlets at StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm launch

By Megan Farokhmanesh on Mar 11, 2013 at 3:00p

Animal rights group PETA will attend the midnight release of StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in Irvine, Calif., as part of a campaign to remind players to "have compassion for all beings," including those in the game.

"Zerglings Have Feelings, Too" is intended to help players view StarCraft 2's Zerg species with empathy, director of marketing Joel Bartlett said. In Starcraft 2, the Zerg is a race of arthropodal aliens and the game's main antagonists. In Heart of the Swarm, players will control Zerg queen Sarah Kerrigan and her broods as she seeks revenge on her former Terran allies.

"To paraphrase a great philosopher, the question is not 'Can Zerg reason?' nor 'Can they talk?' but 'Can they suffer when attacked with a Perdition flamethrower,'" Bartlett said. "PETA is full of StarCraft players, but we've always had empathy for the Zerg — and for anyone who is killed without consideration because they don't speak our language."

According to PETA's campaign, the Zerg are "killed or abused simply because the Terrans can't or won't understand them."

Blizzard, on the other hand, describes the Zerg as "ruthless killing machines" intent on driving the "zerg imperative of achieving absolute domination." We have contacted the company for comment.

PETA will be in attendance at the GameStop located in the Irvine Spectrum Mall at 9 p.m. on Monday, March 11. StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm will be available March 12 for Windows PC and Mac.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

You did read the article on Assassins Creed 4 right? The game will feature waling as a resource for the game as it is set in that era of piracy. The Ubisoft response was epic.

I cant find that article now though :(
My Steam Screenshots

Kennyisalive

Post by Kennyisalive »

Any one have Heart of the swarm yet?

got mine on release date.. played abit.. love it like always!!! but then BF3 end game also came out same day..

I have to many games to play!
Don't Click me
Forum Points:10018000
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Kennyisalive wrote:got mine on release date..
I got mine on Tuesday
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Picked up mine at the midnight launch monday. Was still awake at 1am Tuesday morning, clicked play, and started playing some missions. Stopped after 2 missions though since I had to get some sleep.
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Also got mine... Have not had time to play just yet...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KimKagan

Post by KimKagan »

Got mine on Tuesday, played like first 5 missions, got bored, haven't played it since.
Well that's just super.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Completed the game. Gonna give my thoughts in both spoiler boxes and non spoilers.

Firstly the game rendered pre-rendered cut scenes shame the game. Luckily there aren't that many of them but going from WoL to HotS you would expect more emphasis on blizzards real time art direction.

GUI has been simplified... really simplified. This is the first time I feel like a console control scheme might be intruding into a Blizzard game even though they have made their games for consoles in the past.

The story does not follow the normal Blizzard pattern of thought namely good guy, gets corrupted, kills everything, killed in the end. If I said it was a Disney ending would people be upset? However blizzards latest trend of rewriting their 10 years of lore and recycling characters from the grave is very clear.
Spoiler (show)
Alexi Stukov from SC:BW is alive as an infested terran now. Playing the zerg no longer feels like that evil they were back in SC1 or SC2:WoL but rather like they are the victim and out for vengeance.
The protoss feels like a sub race.

The single player is solid though. I enjoyed the game for the most part and once you started you cannot stop. The best part is that the zerg feels like a swarm that overpower in numbers.

For a score I would give it a 8/10.
My Steam Screenshots

hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

StarBound wrote:Firstly the game rendered pre-rendered cut scenes shame the game. Luckily there aren't that many of them but going from WoL to HotS you would expect more emphasis on blizzards real time art direction.
I really don't know why you keep on about game rendered cut-scenes - they are sporadic and really aren't that bad IMO.
StarBound wrote:GUI has been simplified... really simplified. This is the first time I feel like a console control scheme might be intruding into a Blizzard game even though they have made their games for consoles in the past.
GUI looks more or less the same as it ever did really. I'd say streamlined more than simplified. I get where you are going with this, but I disagree that are looking to bring SC2 to the console.
They tried to do it with WC2 and the result was tepid...

Lets face facts, console gamers are too A.D.D. for a complex RTS like SC. Thats why they tried to make an FPS spin-off in the early 2000's. It's a shame that never materialised and I really think Blizzards hopes of SC on console disappeared with Ghost.
StarBound wrote:The story does not follow the normal Blizzard pattern of thought
There is no "normal" Blizzard pattern of story telling. Just because they stuck to a formula for SC/BW/WoL doesn't mean they need to keep banging on with it.
Kerrigan and her relationship with the swarm is not the black and white relationship Raynor has with the Dominion, for example. To properly develop the Kerrigan character things have to be done differently. I quite enjoyed unfolding of the story, and while I never quite sympathized with the Zerg, the story in HoTS does make me more empathetic towards them...
StarBound wrote:The protoss feels like a sub race.
I think the plan to not have toss as a playable race in the single player campaign was a fair one.
We see so little of them that I'm not sure if Legacy of the Void will take place after the events of HoTS or if it they will run parallel. What is Zeratul up to????
StarBound wrote:Playing the zerg no longer feels like that evil they were back in SC1 or SC2:WoL
Zerg are legion. They do not forgive. They do not forget. Expect them. I must say after HoTS I have a new respect for Zerg.
StarBound wrote:For a score I would give it a 8/10.
Agreed. It lived up to the standard Blizzard have set for their games. A good effort worthy of the franchise.
Molean

Post by Molean »

Purchased my copy today...
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

StarBound wrote: The protoss feels like a sub race.
The Protoss have always been a sub race when compared to the other 2. Seems to be a common occurrence that just about every patch the Protoss get weaker while the Terran & Zerg get stronger more so the Zerg. I am hoping the Protoss expansion makes them strong again...
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I loved protoss in SC1. However the entire way the zerg looked in SC2 made them my favourite race.
My Steam Screenshots

hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Anakha56 wrote:
StarBound wrote: The protoss feels like a sub race.
The Protoss have always been a sub race when compared to the other 2.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

They were the SC2 breakout race :P
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

I'm being serious. The Protoss have always had their abilities, damage & health lowered with cool down timers increased while the Zerg and the Terran have had the opposite effect. The majority of final's are held between Zerg & Terran, Protoss are only lucky to get in the finals...

/talking nonsense here because I actually know nothing about the recent changelogs on the races or which races are more dominant in the pro finals...
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Anakha56 wrote:I'm being serious. The Protoss have always had their abilities, damage & health lowered with cool down timers increased while the Zerg and the Terran have had the opposite effect. The majority of final's are held between Zerg & Terran, Protoss are only lucky to get in the finals...

/talking nonsense here because I actually know nothing about the recent changelogs on the races or which races are more dominant in the pro finals...
ahem!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Anakha56 wrote:The Protoss have always had their abilities, damage & health lowered...
Yeah. I know there was some big changes between 1.04, 1.05 and 1.06. When I install starcraft from disc I always install patch 1.05 which imo was the last balanced patch there was. Remember when zealots was 80/80 before they changed them to 60/100? and didn't they also go from 8x2 to 6x2?
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

GreyWolf wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:I'm being serious. The Protoss have always had their abilities, damage & health lowered with cool down timers increased while the Zerg and the Terran have had the opposite effect. The majority of final's are held between Zerg & Terran, Protoss are only lucky to get in the finals...

ahem!
Void Rays are awesome! But then Blizzard went and lowered their damage output, range and health :cry:...
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Anakha56 wrote: Void Rays are awesome! But then Blizzard went and lowered their damage output, range and health :cry:...
Absolutely, but you can't complain about 'Tos being left behind all the time.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Oh but I can when they increase the Terran & Zerg units to make them more powerful :P. I love playing as the Protoss just because of the carrier but then that was reduced down as well... :(