Project Frikkie (SAD UPDATE: 25-05-07)

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Project Frikkie (SAD UPDATE: 25-05-07)

Post by DarkRanger »

Hi all,

I've finally decided to start with my mod, even though I don't have the budget for it (girlfriend, car, petrol etc. seems to deplete my budget quite rapidly...:-P ).

So, cleaning up my room for a change, I stumbled upon one of those OOOOLD 486's... Ya, those things that you had to upgrade to keep up with DOS... And this case just made me think that maybe I can use it for a mod.

I want to know from you guys if there is any potential in this case (Especially from DAE, Do0b, Samaya). I don't know exactly what I wil be doing, but a matte black paintjob, with a perspex window in the top, Lot's of Lighting doesn't sound to bad or expensive...

ANYHOW!! On to the case... I will give you guys Dimensions If you want some. But here's some fotos:

First: Dismanteling the 'case' and taking all the old school hardware out...

Some of the hardware removed...

There are photos of all the hardware removed, but photobucket is giving me crap, so I'll upload them tomorrow...

OK, front 'panel' if it's worthy of the name.

That little panel will have to go (the panel with the turbo button) and I will cut holes and stuff in the beige coloured 'frontside' (what can I call the piece of scrap??)

And just to give you an idea of how old the pc is...

I'm guessing its a 3 year warranty... Eish.

Anyhow, please let me know of any ideas that might work and some pointers and stuff.

Cheers!! :-D

PS: This will not be DJV quality, because you all know DJV's hands change to tools as soon as he start to think about modding. :-P

EDIT: Project now known as Project Frikkie until a new name can be found!! :lol:
Last edited by DarkRanger on 25 May 2007, 07:50, edited 3 times in total.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Aah thanks for the nice comments buddy :D

Anyway, i think there's DEFINITELY. I'd keep it in that form and build something like those Antec HTPC cases.... lemme get you a pic...

EDIT: Okay here:

I'd go for something like that :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

What you think DAE i am feeling some potential, just gotta have the right state of mind and with some good ideas and sh*t this case could look real sleek and mental
DarkRanger

Post by DarkRanger »

I forgot to ask. Maybe some suggestions for a Project name. If I had to think of one, it would most probably be known as Frikkie... :-P

So any suggestions on a name and what can be done wil be much appreciated.
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

I am thinking you double story this thing, as for a name, hmm... DAE can you think of any
Doomextreme
Permanently Banned

Post by Doomextreme »

Ok I know this is spam... but Frikkie!!! That name made me cry its so funny XD For a mod thats a friking funny name lol!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah DoOb, hard work and effort and this case could be great :D

As for a name, sheesh dude, you need plans first :P
haja

Post by haja »

In all honesty, I think it would be more of a waste of time than enything. Have you checked obvious things like if your mobo you plan to put in will fit, with the hdd's, dvd, psu, GPU etc etc. No use starting a mod only to find out stuff will not fit.

Yes yes, i understand that ANYTHING can be modded, and made to look nice, but sometimes sinking 3k into a case worth R5 is a waste of money. It may be better to save up for a nice shell, that has alot more potential to mod.

Just my opinion, having made a few errors in the past, by buying items that ended up being white elephnats and sinking thousands into them, to try and salvage some of the layout.

use it, don't use it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I like the sound of "Project Frikkie." (Proudly South African)

Or possibly, in the words of haja, "Project White Elephnat." (Not "elephant," mind you, but "elephnat")
DarkRanger

Post by DarkRanger »

haja wrote:In all honesty, I think it would be more of a waste of time than enything. Have you checked obvious things like if your mobo you plan to put in will fit, with the hdd's, dvd, psu, GPU etc etc. No use starting a mod only to find out stuff will not fit.

Yes yes, i understand that ANYTHING can be modded, and made to look nice, but sometimes sinking 3k into a case worth R5 is a waste of money. It may be better to save up for a nice shell, that has alot more potential to mod.

Just my opinion, having made a few errors in the past, by buying items that ended up being white elephnats and sinking thousands into them, to try and salvage some of the layout.

use it, don't use it.
Thanks for the advice man!! :-)

Was just talking to DJV and told him that I might go micro ATX with this case. I'm going to start heavy planning this weekend, all sketches (I did Technical Drawings and CAD at school) and stuff. Won't go plummeting into something that is not well though over.

But I don't think that I will be blowing more than 2K on this shell, might have to change the CPU cooler, but thats it. 1 x DVD drive, 3 x HDD's might all fit. with all the neccisaries ofcourse.

And what you say about blowing cash on something worthless is risky, thats true.

Thanks again for your comment. Not negative, not positive, but straight forward. I like! :D

@Doomextreme: I think I'll call it Frikkie until I find a decent name!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DarkRanger

Post by DarkRanger »

schase wrote:Or possibly, in the words of haja, "Project White Elephnat." (Not "elephant," mind you, but "elephnat")
Good idea... But it's the new South Africa, it's not going to be White!! :-P :lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DarkRanger wrote:@Doomextreme: I think I'll call it Frikkie until I find a decent name!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I still reckon you need to add "Proudly South African" to the project name. :bigups:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DarkRanger wrote:
schase wrote:Or possibly, in the words of haja, "Project White Elephnat." (Not "elephant," mind you, but "elephnat")
Good idea... But it's the new South Africa, it's not going to be White!! :-P :lol:
Ah, of course, how could I forget. Project Rainbow Nation Elephnat 2010?
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

As i said if you were to double story it you wont have a problem. Would and could look very nice. Lose the front panel and make your own.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Double story would be a bit big in my opinion, and what would he put in the top half?
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

The original name for a dremel was DJV, that's where the "d" came from... but the name had to be changed 'cos everyone knows who DJV is, but nobody knows that a dremmel is.
Thats Vain!!!! I dig it :wink:

DarkRanger Dont want to sound negative but, what can you do with a 486.

Or will you be using new hardware?

I get what you wana do, you found this old thing and do something with it.

I found this old accoustic guitar and spent like R700 then stopped cuz
It looked crap, theres nothing like a bubble buster when you enthusiastic to build something and when ur done you stand a few step away and look at your creation thinking man this looks crap
DarkRanger

Post by DarkRanger »

SBSP wrote:
The original name for a dremel was DJV, that's where the "d" came from... but the name had to be changed 'cos everyone knows who DJV is, but nobody knows that a dremmel is.
Thats Vain!!!! I dig it :wink:

DarkRanger Dont want to sound negative but, what can you do with a 486.

Or will you be using new hardware?

I get what you wana do, you found this old thing and do something with it.

I found this old accoustic guitar and spent like R700 then stopped cuz
It looked crap, theres nothing like a bubble buster when you enthusiastic to build something and when ur done you stand a few step away and look at your creation thinking man this looks crap
Thats it. Will be using the Hardware in my sig in this PC. Coz the case I got now has got no side panels, It's Heavy...

Anyhow... Tonight it is planning time. Looking forward to it a lot.

DJV: Can you maybe e-mail me those HDD's SketchUp's. It will just save me some time on redrawing it. Also that fan... PLEASE!! :-)

Thanks for all the comments.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hehehe, why not just DL all the stuff you want? Look here

;)
DarkRanger

Post by DarkRanger »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Hehehe, why not just DL all the stuff you want? Look here

;)
o thanks... didn't know you can download them... Thanks a lot man!!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Sure thing :)

Unfortunately i still ended up modeling most of my stuff, as i need it to match my exact hardware :|
DarkRanger

Post by DarkRanger »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Sure thing :)

Unfortunately i still ended up modeling most of my stuff, as i need it to match my exact hardware :|
I'll most probably also remodel my stuff when it gets going. I just needed that now for the planning and seeing if it will be worth it... Money and Time wise...
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Double story would be a bit big in my opinion, and what would he put in the top half?
Watercooling, Radiator mounted on top but underneath the panel. The fans on the side and behind. all running on 5V.

I would go mental on that idea
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

But he's not gonna water cool anything doOb. If he could afford watercooling, he'd buy another case first :|

Or am i mistaken?
DarkRanger

Post by DarkRanger »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:But he's not gonna water cool anything doOb. If he could afford watercooling, he'd buy another case first :|

Or am i mistaken?
Couldn't have put it better myself!! No cash, THUS: No wetness... :wink:

Anyhow people, I did not even start with the planning, because the CD that I burned Google SketchUp on with all the little 'templates' i downloaded today is unreadible in my DVD drive... :cry: :cry: So I'll have to go to my dad's work tomorrow to use their ADSL. Then I will start planning immediately (<- Spelt correctly??). :(
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

DarkRanger wrote:No cash, No wetness... :wink:
:lol: that sounds so wrong!!!
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...