W1ND0VVS 1Z TEH ST4ND4RD!!!!11``!`

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
bondi

W1ND0VVS 1Z TEH ST4ND4RD!!!!11``!`

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 03 Jun 2004, 11:54, edited 2 times in total.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Every PC I own works fine.

Perhaps you have bad PC karma or something ?

It sounds to me like a hardware failure - pretty common with cheap generic PC parts.

That NTLDR part, BTW, is quite fatal most of the time when it happens.

It almost always means there's an issue with hardware, for whatever reason.

PC's are delicate beasts of many complex parts that come from different manufacturers and they don't always play nice with each other. When they do, it's pure harmony. When they don't it's pure hell.
Here's my desk today. I think this says it all:
Your desk shows a funky new imac and an old crappy beige monitor.
It may say it all for you, but not for everyone.
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 03 Jun 2004, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

Both of you are on the defensive.

bondi, I think you do have bad PC karma as that can happen to anyone. Your hard drive obviously decided to piss you off because it had a Mac sitting next to it. :wink:
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

That was one of the funniest and most true posts about a PC that I have ever read! I have had the same scenario for years, I forget how many times I have had to format, reload software and generally sort out problems. This guy said it all!

But I still persist with my trusted old PC, sort of caught in a trap now, sucked in by the MS propaganda of promised improvements and like the banking community, always believing in my heart that surely this time it will be so! But my head is always correct, "Don't believe them, " it says.

However when you have a small business, built up over many years you put up with the quirks of the PC and honestly now that I understand the instability of a PC, like most I am afraid to change. The MAC units biggest downfall has nothing to do with its performance, it has everything to do with a piss poor marketing effort. In all my long life I have never been approached by a PC outlet to try a MAC!
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Another thing about Mac is that you must be prepared to pay a large upfront payment, which a lot of people aren't prepared to do.

The average PC enthusiast doesn't usually buy an entire PC, they'll buy upgrade bits. For instance, they'll keep everything but the motherboard, processor and ram which they will then upgrade.

(yes - I know mac users will do this too, but it's not as prevalent)

It's a fact that buying a PC that has the equivalent specs to a G5 is going to be about the same price.

But PC users don't think that way - if they can't afford a particular feature, they'll take it off the order and add it on later when they have the cash. (e.g. - scrap the 19" monitor, I'll take a 15", forget the DVD burner, I'll take a CD burner etc.)

The thing about PC's is that you must buy the best stuff you can get hold of and get a reputable technician to install the hardware (or do it yourself)

All the PC's that bomb in our office have sub-standard parts and are assembled shoddily. The ones that are rock solid have high quality brand name parts and have been assembled by myself, with great care.

My P4 2400 runs like a dream 24/7 - the last time I rebooted was 2 weeks ago and I can't remember the last time it crashed. (I don't think it ever has since install ?)

Oh yeah - I also seriously multi-task - Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Email, Browsers all open at the same time.

When PC works, it's great when it doesn't, it sucks.

There's tons of "cowboys" out there willing to sell you a great PC for R3000, but two months down the line when it bombs out, your up ***** creek without a paddle.

If I were to recommend a computer to a total newbie - like my grandmother - I would recommend an Apple computer any day of the week, because you know what your getting, or I'd buy a PC in components and assemble it for them. The last thing I'd do is buy a "special offer" PC deal from some shady fax that I got at work (which often happens BTW)
Last edited by bb_matt on 18 Nov 2003, 09:32, edited 3 times in total.
SadistiK

Post by SadistiK »

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Bondi for once I'm totally with you. Just sunday night i formatted my pc (yep formatted not reload ghost image cause that didn't work :evil: :evil: ) and started fresh installation of Xp.

Low and behold all is fine till I install my new Nforce 3.13 Drivers. Suddenly now the center speaker is just "gone". Hmmm ok uninstall try old drivers.

All goes well reboot test speakers. BAM gone is center again. Grrrrr

Now at this point i'm kinda fed up cause:

1. I just sat 2.5 hours reinstalling my OS with most of it's goodies (note most not ALL) and now it's giving me hassles.

2. I could have been doing something more fun/interesting than formatting my pc.

3. it's 11:30 at night i'm irritated and tired..

Now I decide ok let's try something else remove all registry entries remove all driver software uninstall all driver related software manually delete leftover files and reinstall ORIGINAL ASUS DRIVERS..

15 mins later same problem but it get's worse. I decide "oh well" it's not that bad and leave the center speaker "broken" and carry on.

So I sit back and open Power DVD and try to watch a Movie before I go to bed and low and behold I get the famous "Windows encountered an unkown error this program must be shut down" I was like WTF????

Hmm ok restart launch again same problem. Ok maybe it's powerdvd so i try mediaplayer/real one player/quicktime etc all my video progs. All got the same problem..

NOW at this point i'm boiling seeing as I did all that effort for what?

1. A worse off OS that I had b4 format

2. A Slower boot up

3. A Head-Ache

4. No Working media player programs on my "formatted" pc.

So I decide ok let's try to "repair" windows.

Reboot, insert Xp Prof Cd into drive load my S-ATA drivers and choose repair.

So off it goes deleting alot of files copying "fresh" one's from the cd and proceeds to "repair" my pc.

To make a long Rant a bit shorter 5 Hours later i'm still with a f***ed up POS Operating System, I can't view any movie files of any type and I'm tired/irritated.

After that I'd like to say one thing. THANKS MICROSOFT FOR CREATING "THE" MOST CRAPPIEST OS YOU PROBABLY COULD HAVE AND SELLING IT TO CUSTOMERS LIKE US.

GRRRRRRR :evil: :evil:
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

I think the problem lies with the new Nforce drivers, Cookie - I downloaded them a while back and tried them out and they screwed up my sound... trying to remove them also resulted in a cataclysmic system screw up, but I honestly believe there is something wrong with those drivers.

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
SadistiK

Post by SadistiK »

Hey onlyone

Ok my point still stands is XP is so crap you can't even remove the drivers properly and then if you do manage to remove them someway it suddenly screws up you'r media players all their codecs and alot of other proggies on my pc?

At this point in time I can't even open Warcraft III yet I Can do so with Counter-Strike.

Basicly what I can do on my machine now is open Winamp and Cs. That's all i'll have to reformat AGAIN ARGGGGHGHGHGHGGHGH to sort this out.

Also for those who aren't in the loop check this post Here

To see the other problems i've had with my macine and windows.

:evil:
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Did you try restoring your system to a previous checkpoint? The times that I've used XP that's sorted out most driver or software problems...

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
SadistiK

Post by SadistiK »

Yes I Did. Didn't work AT ALL.

Also Onlyone my problem comes in when it's newly formatted and gives me these kind of problems.

*sigh* oh well i'll have to see how it goes.

Can't Wait for my G5.
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 03 Jun 2004, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Just don't expect too much of it, Cookie - there is no such thing as the perfect PC even if it is a Mac.

GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

bondi,
I hardly think you should accuse anyone of being defensive. No hard feelings man, but find any thread on this forum with even a hint of anti-appleness and booya, up steps bondi, or should I say: SUPER-APPLE-MAN! with the power to Mega-Long-Post! :)
SadistiK

Post by SadistiK »

Onlyonekenobi

I'm not raising any expectations.

I've been working on computers since they started out. Xt with 512kb of Ram with Green Screens etc.

I Started form dos 3 up untill todays Windows Xp. It Saddens me when I have to reformat my pc every 3 months just to get it's speed back from an obviously incomplete OS.

From what i've heard and experienced my choice of getting a Mac is solely based on NOT HAVING TO PUT UP WITH MICROSOFT"S **** PIECE OF CRAP SOFTWARE.

None (YES THAT IS 0 AS IN NOTHING) of their products HAVE ever been without problems. Now I'm not saying that Mac's are. But MS one's have so much more Problems than MACOSX.

Now my questions to bondi.

Ok Bondi I know in the past me and you haven't been seeing eye to eye but hopefully that will change now.

My questions to you are the following.

1. Will I be able to put in another AGP (OR Graphics card for that matter) In my G5 when i Get it? I mean i have got a Radeon 9700 Pro and i'd like to use that in my mac too.

2. I know when Buying a Mac one loses alot of do-it-yourself part-swapping and the likes but just how easy if any is it to customize your Apple (or for that reason the G5)?

3. Will I be Able to play most games on my Mac? Seeing as I"m a Gamer that is what my Mac is gonna be Used for primarily.

4. Where can I get pricing on these G5's?

If you can answer my questions i'd be very happy.

Cheers
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 03 Jun 2004, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 03 Jun 2004, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
Elwe_Singollo

Post by Elwe_Singollo »

I also hate windows most of the time.However, I think a program as complex as Windows surely is bound to have more bugs than they can ever solve.that being said,I know that Linux (and Panther) are far more stable, and by the looks of things as capable. its quite baffling really, mickysoft can afford to hire the absolute best programmers in the world. the budget for their products should be almost unlimited. and yet after making windows for more than 10 years, they have really only made it 32bit and easier to use.and slower.also ever wonder why if you had previously bought a version of windows, why you werent entitled to the next one free of charge?I mean, 95 to 98 to 98se were more or less just patches.I also think its a problem that no-one has redesigned the pc since it was first built.that means every single pc has a 640k limit on their base memory, and everything has to use conventional or expanded if I remember correctly (Dos days are long gone). and the year 2k thing. I would think the most efficient PC would be one that was redesigned from the ground up using modern technology.which I think the G5 was.
Yeah I play a musical instrument. I play the fool.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

You may want to consider the following as well :-
1.6GHz PowerPC G5

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... .2.0.0.1.0

1.6GHz PowerPC G5
800MHz frontside bus
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR333 128-bit SDRAM
Expandable to 4GB SDRAM
80GB Serial ATA
SuperDrive
Three PCI Slots
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

$1,999.00 x R6,8 = R13593
* Pentium 4 3006(800FSB 512K)Hyper-Threading - R2270
* P4/Celeron 4xDDR (up to 4 gig ram) 800FSB
AC97 HT AGP8x Intel875 Lan1000
5xPCI (512 L2 Cache) - R1359
* 256MB DDR333 128-bit SDRAM - R299
80GB-7200RPM 2MB Cache (seagate) - R620
Geforce Fx 5200 128MB DDR TV-Out 8x - R699
Intellimouse Optical - R177
Decent keyboard - R400
56k Modem (duxbury) - R400
Mid range case (not an ugly beige box) - R900

Total: R7124
Plus VAT R8121
I've taken the equivalent specs of a G5 and put them in PC terms, using some decent PC hardware.

If you were buying in the states, the G5 is a pretty good choice, as the price difference is high, but not extreme. You also know your getting a damn funky machine with high-end hardware, so it's definately worth considering.

Of course, if you chose the PC, adding a case of the quality of the G5 would probably require a serious custom job that could set you back an additional R1000 over and above the R900 I quoted and I'm sure you could get the G5 for lower than $1999 if you shopped around.

So all in all, it's an equivalent price, but...

What is a bit scary is that the price of the G5 in south africa is R17000 - supply and demand is most likely the cause of that.

Just adding some perspective here Bondi.

Of course, if you go for the above PC configuration, your still stuck with windows :) - altho you could always load FreeBSD onto it !

Apple is very overpriced here and probably will remain so unless the demand gets higher.
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 03 Jun 2004, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
bondi

Post by bondi »

™©®
Last edited by bondi on 03 Jun 2004, 11:56, edited 2 times in total.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

I give up - I really really give up.

I can say nothing you agree with.

THAT PC RIG IS EQUIVALENT !

It's a computer, right ?

You can run photoshop, Dreamweaver, Premier, Fireworks, Word etc. etc. etc. etc. - that wasn't a GAMING RIG I put together, it's a damn WORK RIG !

At the end of the day, we use computers at work for WORK !

Just because it's not a freakin' Dell, it doesn't mean it's not going to perform like one.

I was MERELY POINTING OUT WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH EQUIVALENT PRICES !
‘Scuse me? Come again? Apple is just as price-competitive as any other international computer manufacturer in this country.
NO, excuse ME - it is NOT !
R17000 will buy an absolutely KICK-bottom PC when compared to the bottom of the range G5.
You don't have to build it yourself, you can get it built and have the OS installed for you.

Hell, you know you really get on my ( . Y . ) with your continuous PC bashing - I haven't even bashed Mac once, but nothing about PC is good for you is it ?

Here at work I'm using my PC for pretty much the same thing as the Macs are used for - they work about the same as each other.

and that, my friend, is the bottom line.

Keep on PC bashing, I'll keep out of it for now, just remember, I never bad-mouthed Mac once.
Last edited by bb_matt on 18 Nov 2003, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Dakes

Post by Dakes »

Don't worry about bondi. He's just Apple-spamming so that he can get to 1000 posts in order to be a moderator :P :lol: :wink: :arrow:
Brother Hiram, wish you were here!
Thanks Disruptor!
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Here you go Bondi - go have some fun :-

http://www.google.com/search?q=apple+vs ... 8&oe=utf-8
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ok,
so how about apple make an os for the IBM compatible?
wouldn't that be great? the supposed stability of OSX (OS XP?) with the customizability of a pc? WOOHOO!

cookie, I don't think there are many games for apple, There are some out there, but they usually come out later or not at all...