Best Free Anti-Virus

Viruses, hackers and crackers
realbigdreamer

Re: Best Free Anti-Virus

Post by realbigdreamer »

I don't believe in things such as "the best anti-virus program". I do like Avast a lot.
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

I've used Norton(which I believe is horrible), AVG(which gives a rather big amount of false positives), Avast!(does what it is supposed to do, I only don't like the fact that a system scan stops when it finds an infection instead of finishing the scan and then dealing with it) and Microsoft Security Essentials. Atm I prefer MSE Microsoft really impressed me with it!
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Still on MSE myself and it's still my product of choice. Most lightweight and non invasive free AV solution I've used...
ADT

Post by ADT »

I use AVG Free Edition at home and it gives me no problems, and at work I use ESET NOD32, and i'm quite impressed woth this Antivirus, it updates about twice daily, and that's essential for my trade, since I'm online throughout my whole work day.
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Recently upgraded to Avast v5 - they've made some really good aesthetic upgrades (which have been much needed) - now it works like an antivirus should and looks like an antivirus should!
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
vgorKys

Post by vgorKys »

Avira is one of the best free antiviruses, but if you want all a security solution can do I would recommend you AVAST. You also could take a look here http://best-antivirus.co to find out many useful things and see many detailed comparisons between the best 10 antiviruses in the world.
It's a free reviews and downloads site and you find there all pros and cons.

Before you guys see this as SPAM - there is no advertising occuring here, it seems that it is a valid site - quit informative too
-Anthro
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:/ the site is still dodgier than a four week old mcdonalds burger found behind the copier...

<edit>informative?</edit>
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

I know i may be repeating someone here, but i am just jumping in now.

www.av-comparatives.org/

You can find trial, or free versions of some of the anti-virus solutions compared there. What i have recently noticed is that Microsoft Security Essentials is free to use on a Windows computer (assuming your windows is Legal). It also does a pretty good job. So you could look into that.