New Anti-Virus installed - Kaspersky

Viruses, hackers and crackers
Belix

New Anti-Virus installed - Kaspersky

Post by Belix »

Hi Folks
While I was out, and without any consent of mine, a new anti-virus was installed on the head-office computers. At first I was rather puzzled about how they remotely installed it since my PC was in a locked office, but I guess that's the point of having administrator passwords.

However, which ever bright spark oked this did not a) check to see what anti-virus solutions were already installed and b) did not complete any purchase procedure documentation.

The purchase procedure documentation is not a worry to me. See how quick they get paid without it. What does worry me is firstly, I've never heard kapersky antivirus even though "it's used in government circles for protection". Also, it only seems to be an anti-virus, nothing more. How is that going to help intruder protection? I'm pretty sure machines with 2 different anti-virus systems aint gonna be happy either.

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

The AV was prob installed via a start-up script or such, you admin will be able to shed some more light on this one. It would also be a good idea to let him know about the other AVs on the system because, as you said, it's not a good idea to have multiple AVs running on a machine.

I also wouldn't worry about not being protected, Kaspersky is a good solution. Not sure if it will protect you from intruders because that is dependent on which product has been installed.

Edit:

More info http://www.kaspersky.com/work_space_security.
Belix

Post by Belix »

What a first class disaster. Only two machine are able to run with any relaiability. Others are taking ages to perform any task. Other machines don't finish saving personal settings on closure and sit there for the rest of the night. Mine cannot run - I keep get data exception erros and ervery thing needing to be closed down. I have since removed the anti-virs and and now running nothing.

Most of the office cannot do any work until we finish removing Kapersky completely.

Golden rule, always unistall one anti-virus before installing another, and better yet, avoid Kapersky.

maybe we're just more unlucky than others.

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah installing an AV solution over an existing one without uninstalling will definitely cause complications... Tell your company they suck! :lol:

Don't have much experience with Kaspersky. I've recently switched over to NOD32 after reading some great reviews rating it the best AV software out there, and I must agree with them, definitely the best package I've ever used!
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

Belix wrote: Most of the office cannot do any work until we finish removing Kapersky completely.

Golden rule, always unistall one anti-virus before installing another, and better yet, avoid Kapersky.
I wouldn't go as far as to say avoid Kaspersky, the problem that you are experiencing is probably due to running two AVs on the same system. This is never a good idea in most cases.
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

Kaspersky isnt just any av... it is THE BEST. blows norton, mcaffee and nod32 out the water. and from what i remember, nod32 uses parts of kaspersky's engine! (just trying to find where i read that)
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

PureFire wrote:Kaspersky isnt just any av... it is THE BEST. blows norton, mcaffee and nod32 out the water. and from what i remember, nod32 uses parts of kaspersky's engine! (just trying to find where i read that)
Nope, read some reviews. NOD32 is regarded as THE BEST antivirus application by far...

And, anything blows Norton out of the water, it sucks! :lol:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Read this...

Anti-Virus Comparative Summary Report 2006

NOD32 FTW.

Rated best AV product 2006, by far... :wink:
Belix

Post by Belix »

I took it off my PC. I don't need anti-virus problem in my life. An old 2003 norton seems to work just fine without the crashes, error messages and slowdown.

Thanks Ryan, but it seems my suggestions are ignored anyhow in favour of the security consultants choices. The fact that he'll leave and I'll have to sort out user issues have apparantly been completely overlooked.

Oh well, at least my machine works now :P

PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Azgard and I both tried kaspersky on our system (he was running Vista ultiamte 64bit and I was running the 32bit verrsion). It messed up both of our windows installations. I have never used it again. Im sure ity was a compatability problem which they have fixed now :P

But the package I used was vista compatible apparently. :S
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yep. I've had NOD32 running on my system ever since I got Vista about 2 months ago and haven't had a single issue.
Belix

Post by Belix »

PsyCLown wrote:Azgard and I both tried kaspersky on our system (he was running Vista ultiamte 64bit and I was running the 32bit verrsion). It messed up both of our windows installations. I have never used it again. Im sure ity was a compatability problem which they have fixed now :P

But the package I used was vista compatible apparently. :S
Apparently it not entirely XP compatible either :)
The worst affected machines were all Acer notebooks for some reason, but it's been ditched from nearly every machine now...

Sasbon

Post by Sasbon »

I use Kaspersky on XP and on VISTA with no problems. (Same PC)Even the auto updates is a breeze. I also use bitdefender on another PC, without any problems
ICE-VaPa

Post by ICE-VaPa »

Kaspersky is my highest rated anit-virus suite. Nod32 a close 2nd.
Nod32 was amazing 2005->mid2006.

http://www.virus.gr/portal/en/node/28

http://cybernetnews.com/2007/05/11/new- ... ll-on-top/

Cant believe you haven't heard of it. Its one of the industry leaders, if not THE. :?

http://www.virus.gr/ provide some of the most extensive research with regards to anti-virus products. Worth pop'ing in now and then and checking the charts. :)

EDIT: soz, i see the 2nd article uses virus.gr's results... Still, emphasizes their work i suppose... ;)
Belix

Post by Belix »

Well it sure caused choas on the work computers. We pulled it off all of them and have ordered Sophos instead.

M1K3

Post by M1K3 »

Have any of you tried Norton's 2008 yet? I've been using it for a month now and Symantec seem to have pulled themselves right again, it's by far the best AV I have used of theirs to date. I want to try Norton's 360 but the price is a little steep ATM.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

@Belix: I'm convinced this was because of the dual install. Even so, the installer should have kicked up a storm :?:
ICE-VaPa wrote:Kaspersky is my highest rated anit-virus suite. Nod32 a close 2nd.Nod32 was amazing 2005->mid2006.
while Kaspersky is no slouch in the AV arena, it has some ways to go yet before claiming the crown... more importantly, it has struggled to retain an advanced+ rating, something NOD32 has managed with ease. consistency is as important as effectiveness :wink:. add to this the fact that NOD32's scans are so lightweight as to have zero impact on performance, (even in-game), as well as one of the most impressive lan admin interfaces i've ever worked with...

ref: AV Comparatives - a truly independant reviewer of av products... virus.gr are kaspersky fanbois of note.

@M1K3: not even if they threw in a free backrub...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

@rustypup how accurate are there tests?

they gave norton 98,80% :?

norton ment to b like de worst last i heard?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU