Project: The Unknown (Update 25/03)

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
Dust

Project: The Unknown (Update 25/03)

Post by Dust »

Guys, after seeing all your mods and projects I'v decided to start my own.
I'm going to use an old case from my buddy. It's a small midi case which would need a microATX board, I might go with AM2 or build my old AMD 64 3500+ into it. We'll see how it goes. I'll first get the case sorted before worrying about the system too much.

Do you guys think this is worth a mod?
Last edited by Dust on 25 Mar 2007, 15:15, edited 3 times in total.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Your pics are bust
Dust

Post by Dust »

I'm new at the pic posting thing. :D
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4998/image084yk4.jpg
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8409/image082gz9.jpg

Forgive Wik, his mind is still on the road where he was earlier... :D

Any mod is worth it if you put effort and design into it... Even the slightest little change can in the end make a huge difference...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
Dust

Post by Dust »

Hey no probs, I did edit the post after he viewed it, what I want to achieve is a small yet powerful system. wanted to go the shuttle route but this case is already a bit tatty so it can only get better.
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Yea can pimp that case
Dust

Post by Dust »

Thanks Do0b. I intend to. Will update as soon as I start.
Dust

Project: The Unknown (Update 22/02/07) 56k Warning

Post by Dust »

Ok guys. I started the modding today. first got a hobby tool AKA Dremel.

Ok here you can see the +/- 140mm hole I cut in the black cover that will fit over the fan which will be mounted to the chassis. The silver cover clicks in place over the black one. I'm gonna cut a shape in that to allow air induction and will also use mesh to smooth it a bit.

Now this is a close up of the chassis, you can see the black marking where the square is being cut for the fan mount.

There, that's it for now. Give me some feedback guys.
Last edited by Dust on 22 Mar 2007, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

That case is hideous. So please, mod it, get rid of that stupid front panel or do something creative with it. PLEASE :|
Dust

Post by Dust »

What do you think I'm doing????????????? I just freaking started!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excuse me for not being Dae Ja Freaking Vooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! I could mod my good case but the point of this to see if I can turn this into something worthwhile! You know I realy don't like condecending pompous A$$e$ like you! Forgive for not having a P180 to mod, forgive me for not having deeeeeep pockets forgive me for being here!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Okay you missed the point. So I won't bother to post here anymore :) Have fun
Ike

Post by Ike »

Dust wrote:What do you think I'm doing????????????? I just freaking started!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excuse me for not being Dae Ja Freaking Vooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! I could mod my good case but the point of this to see if I can turn this into something worthwhile! You know I realy don't like condecending pompous A$$e$ like you! Forgive for not having a P180 to mod, forgive me for not having deeeeeep pockets forgive me for being here!
Dude, Calm down... He meant it as a tip. ;)

BTW I'm gonna start modding an uglier case... Will start a thread this weekend :P Hopefully...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Dust wrote:What do you think I'm doing????????????? I just freaking started!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excuse me for not being Dae Ja Freaking Vooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
:?

I'm not sure what to think of that...

Dust wrote:I could mod my good case but the point of this to see if I can turn this into something worthwhile! You know I realy don't like condecending pompous A$$e$ like you! Forgive for not having a P180 to mod, forgive me for not having deeeeeep pockets forgive me for being here!
Whoa.... relax dude. He didn't mean it like that ;)

Lemme explain something to you. Most case modders look at a case and they will ALWAYS find something that they dislike or that they would change. I'm especially bad at that. I SELDOM see a case that actually looks good unmodded. I always think that a little of this or a little of that will make the case perfect. Some cases have more stuff like that than others. Wik thinks that your case is ugly, but modding it will make it look good. In other words, he's encouraging you to mod harder and harder. So dont worry dude, he meant no harm ;)

Good luck with the mod, i'm gonna keep my eye on this one ;)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

Lol yip thats wikid for you :) Dude I think your mod could be cool, consider that case has plenty space to mod. Lol Dude don't worry I'm asure as hell you will do a better mod than me :wink: Whe I mod, I try to spray paint but mostly spray paint myself. Will be interested to see how your case will turn out :D

BTW: Does anyone know how to do a mod like what some people have by turning their cases into Aliens or Doom 3 etc.. I really would love how to do that.
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Dust wrote:What do you think I'm doing????????????? I just freaking started!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excuse me for not being Dae Ja Freaking Vooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
:?

I'm not sure what to think of that...

Dust wrote:I could mod my good case but the point of this to see if I can turn this into something worthwhile! You know I realy don't like condecending pompous A$$e$ like you! Forgive for not having a P180 to mod, forgive me for not having deeeeeep pockets forgive me for being here!
Whoa.... relax dude. He didn't mean it like that ;)

Lemme explain something to you. Most case modders look at a case and they will ALWAYS find something that they dislike or that they would change. I'm especially bad at that. I SELDOM see a case that actually looks good unmodded. I always think that a little of this or a little of that will make the case perfect. Some cases have more stuff like that than others. Wik thinks that your case is ugly, but modding it will make it look good. In other words, he's encouraging you to mod harder and harder. So dont worry dude, he meant no harm ;)

Good luck with the mod, i'm gonna keep my eye on this one ;)
I agree. In fact, if it wasn't for the "in your face" comments and suggestions, most of these mods would have turned out to be not that great (including mine :twisted: ).
So please see it as constructive critisism, and chill out with the rest of us...its fun :D
the pen is mighter than the sword, but the word is always final
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I would love to try my hand at a mod, but I am such an uncreative n00b I would completely mess things up. I reckon Dae, Do0b and co need to open a "Modding for Dummies" thread to help us n00bs with some simple aspects of modding.
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

open a "Modding for Dummies" thread to help us n00bs with some simple aspects of modding.
PCF's "modding for dummies" main page:

http://www.pcformat.co.za/modules.php?n ... forum&f=30

I got a lot of tips and tricks from the aforementioned...especially on painting tecnique :lol:
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

especially on painting tecnique.
Yip i wonder. Yea took me 2hrs to come up with that guide.

http://www.pcformat.co.za/modules.php?n ... ic&t=22090
Dust

Post by Dust »

Ok, first up. Sorry about the way I acted guys, forgive me for being an a$$. Hope we can rather get along.

This is an ugly case, that's why I'm modding it. 1. If it works out it'll look better. 2. If it doesn't and I mess up I won't feel as bad.

Anyway this is what I've done since friday.

Now I know the pics are bad and the finishing is up to $$$hhh but I'm still busy. I may still cut the same motif, like on the panel, into the roof of the case. I'll see. The 120mm intake will fit now.

What do ya think????

P.S. Do0b I see you have a 3D Cooler too. How's it doing?
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Looks like you've made a good start there.
Dust

Post by Dust »

Thanks man. Why do I sense a BUT??? :lol:
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

BUT...erm...NO BUTS :) or even BUTTS ;)
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

You can do something with hole looks cool without the other piece

Dust

Post by Dust »

What "other" piece are you referring to Do0b? If it's the piece I cut out of that shape, don't worry, it's not going back. I'll just close the hole using some mesh.

Thanks Viceroy!
Lithe_Joint

Post by Lithe_Joint »

Very cool :)
It seems that you've changed what almost looked like a smiley face into something that resembles the mouth of a snake.
Is that gonna be the theme, or am I missing something?

Very neat work, too. What colours are you considering, excluding lights(if you're going to use any)?