Fedora Core 6, Internet Access

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
M1ke

Fedora Core 6, Internet Access

Post by M1ke »

I'll be honest. I'm new, a n00b and I want to learn.
In Fedora Core 6, I need a STEP BY STEP guide on how to connect to the internet. I'm behind a router and MWEB provides me ADSL.

Please help!
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
LazerFazer

Post by LazerFazer »

Hey,

I'm guessing you connect to your router via lan cable and that the router is using DHCP to assign IP addresses? If so, I would assume just connecting the cable and letting it do it's thing will work. If it doesn't work, then once you connect your cable:

1) Go to system>>Administration>>>Network (or networking..not too sure)
2) Enter your root password
3) If there is a connection showing on the first tab, double click it, otherwise click add connection (or something to that effect)
4) Make sure your network interface is correctly chosen
5) Make sure your connection is set to acquire the IP address automatically via DHCP
6) Click OK or Apply or Save (whichever is shown) in all windows, and then just to be safe reboot FC6 and it should work.

Hope this helps,
LF
FireFlyComputerSystems

Post by FireFlyComputerSystems »

I will list commands and files that you need to need run:

ifconfig (this command will setup your network interface)

route (this command will tell your computer where the default gateway is)

iptables (will disable/enable/configure your firewall settings)

man "command" will give you instruction on how to use the above commands.

All of this can be automated so that it all happens at boot time and you don't have to run the commands every time you reboot. All the operating system configuration files are kept under the /etc directory and this is where the files you have to edit are if you want to automate the config.

/etc/hosts (will give a file based ip/name resolution)
/etc/gateway (tells your computer where the gateway is)
/etc/network/ (this is where you configura network interfaces persistently)

When your computer boots, after loading the kernel the system runs a script called /etc/init.rc . This in turn runs all the scripts in the /etc/initrc.d directory. The scripts in this directory are called rc scripts which stands for run control. You'll find various rcX.d subdirectories which correspond to operating system running states called run-levels. These are simply used to have the OS up and running with various options such as with/without networking, no user file systems, etc.

Fact is, if you really want to yolk your linux in terms of run time configuration, you'll want to learn about runlevels and configuration files under /etc/. Not to mention the kernel and compiling for other options.