The 22" (and larger) LCD Thread

Any hardware related topics go here.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Didnt think the chicken would be spotted.

HAHA
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

http://www.wallpaperreview.com/widescreen.html

Just for the guys and girls with big'uns
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

Love the Deviantart screenies man!
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
Moses

Post by Moses »

How much was this 22" Samsung? And is it only available at IC?
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

Maxxis is this samsung only avialble from IC for R3500?? I saw digital planet has it for R4000 so it seems IC is the cheapest but I can't find it any other place except these 2 . No other online retailers and no dealers that I know.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
Moses

Post by Moses »

Can someone please try convince me to buy this screen? Right now, my 19" CRT is working just fine, and it has more pixels than that 22", yet I still want a good reason to get an LCD!
Keigo

Post by Keigo »

Moses wrote:Can someone please try convince me to buy this screen? Right now, my 19" CRT is working just fine, and it has more pixels than that 22", yet I still want a good reason to get an LCD!
it take less space and look nice~ 8)
Moses

Post by Moses »

Keigo wrote: it take less space and look nice~ 8)
It's going to take more effort than that!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

IT'S FREAKING HUGE!!!

And reasonably priced vs the 24" Monitors
Moses

Post by Moses »

WiK1d wrote:IT'S FREAKING HUGE!!!
But is it really? Perhaps I need to see this thing in real life to decide. As far as I know, it is exactly the same height as my 19", and only 100mm odd wider. Further, it is only 80 pixels wider than my current 1600x1200 desktop, which provides almost no extra space.

The only thing that is getting me excited at the moment is how nice and big wide screen movies will be, and how much neater my room will be after rearranging my furniture.

But keep trying!
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

We are not salesmen.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

It will be as high as your 19...but damn it's so much wider :D If I had the bucks I'd go buy one now. And Dual Screen it with my 19 :D Whoooohaaaa
haja

Post by haja »

Moses, I just upgraded from a 21" CRT, and this thing is def worth it.

Never mind the size difference, and the fact that it is amazing to use. THe actual difference between LCD and CRT is huge. I have been holding off on my LCD upgrade, but the other day I tried my 19" LCD I have on my spare PC, and I could not see myself going back to CRT ever.

LCD seems to 'push' the colours out at you, and the CRT looks dull in comparison. So if you get a nice LCD, you will never look back. Plus, the 22" wide rocks for work, and games (playing faltout 2 atm, eisha, amazing on wide).

Anyhoo, trust me, I went from a 21" CRT to a 22" wide LCD and I am very happy and impressed, plus it seems ALOT bigger than my 21" CRT, even though it is only effectively wider (maybe 10mm shorter).

GO BUY ONE!
Moses

Post by Moses »

Okay, I will buy one soon. Just need to sell my 19" CRT to my mom, and then find the cheapest price for this 22", and I'll buy it.
Moses

Post by Moses »

A couple questions @ maxxis or whoever.

1) This isn't one of those ugly Diamond View screens is it?

2) I know these TN panels have poorish viewing angles. I happen to regularly view my screen whilst lying on my comfortable bed, which basically means I'm looking up at the screen (not too an extreme angle).

a) If you were to put your head flat on your desk and look up at your screen, how would it look?

b) Can you at least tilt the screen to point down slightly, if necessary?
Moses

Post by Moses »

Another question.

I don't play too many games these days, but how bad would 1280x768 (or whatever it is) look on this screen? I have no delusions of actually been able to run my games at 1680x1050 :) .

I've played 1024x768 games on a 1280x1024 LCD, and too me, it was fairly acceptable.. just not too sure how this interpolation process looks when the resolution is a lot smaller than the native resolution.
pfmind

Post by pfmind »

Hi Moses

The 226BW is not a Diamond View screen.

Online reviews rate this screen very highly, especially the 'S' panel versions, compared to anything else out there
If you want to see them in action, and the viewing angles, go past an IC.

I cant answer your questions about game resolutions, because I'm not a gamer, but I'm sure others here or on the widescreengame forum can help you out with telling you what games will play like at various resolutions.

Cheers
Moses

Post by Moses »

pfmind wrote:Hi Moses

Online reviews rate this screen very highly, especially the 'S' panel versions, compared to anything else out there

I cant answer your questions about game resolutions, because I'm not a gamer, but I'm sure others here or on the widescreengame forum can help you out with telling you what games will play like at various resolutions.

Cheers
Cool, thanks. I'll go to my nearest IC (in Somerset West :( ) soon to check it out.
Spicy-McHaggis

Post by Spicy-McHaggis »

Moses wrote:
pfmind wrote:Hi Moses

Cheers
Cool, thanks. I'll go to my nearest IC (in Somerset West :( ) soon to check it out.
The 931BW is also nice and no diamond view screen.
Hapy happy happy
Back in NL...
Tolklein

Post by Tolklein »

Cyberdyne has the Samsung's on their pricelist, no prices yet though.
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

Just info for guys looking at this monitor. Trapnal at ss can get it. Price is R3385.

http://www.systemshock.co.za/forums/ind ... ntry114322
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
Moses

Post by Moses »

Sweet, that's the best price I've seen yet (actually the only one :D ) , I've sent out emails to all my sources to get quotes, I might actually be stupid enough to buy this thing.
NinjaTic

Post by NinjaTic »

I managed to change my work monitor to a 19" LCD - very big difference - much easier on the eyes. One downside (apparrently) to an LCD is (according to some photographer people that I've spoken to) is that the colour generation is not as accurate as a CRT. When they do editing of photos in Photoshop, they will not use an LCD monitor. Apparently the colour regeneration is not always the same!?

I dunno - but 31% yellowish-brownish looks exactly the same as 50% brownish-yellowish to me! :P

Maybe I'm slightly colour blind? :?

I'm gonna buy a wide screen LCD when I upgrade near the end of the year - no point in buying a big monitor if my gfx card is underpowered!
neon_chameleon wrote:

Im 22 next week and I cant commit to what Im going to eat for breakfast. I mean cereal is so boring but its quick, and eggs take forever to make and theres the toast to make sure you dont burn....
smm414

Post by smm414 »

I'm looking to get a 22" wide. Found a place called megastore.co.za that sells them for the lowest price. I'm looking at the Acer 22", why does no-one here like this screen? Personally I have never had a problem with Acer's, and when I have they have always been at my house to collect to get fixed, once even replacing my 17" with a 19" as they could not fix the 17".

My graphics card is a Geforce 7600, I'm sure this is good enough to have great graphics on a 22"?
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Nope. A 22" needs a high end card to run the games at 1680 x 1050 resolution.

I just dont like the budget look of the Acer.