Win disk

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
jee

Win disk

Post by jee »

When one buys one's computer with the os already loaded and just get that funny rescue disk with, can you change that os to another computer? I believe that the license is just valid for that specific computer? I've a W2k machine with 60gig hd (proper disks) and recently bought Xp already loaded but only on 20 gig hd. I'd like to swap my operating systems around but am not sure how to do with this other stupid disk!
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

If the Product Ket Sticker is on the cse and is an OEM license then, unfortunately the license is assigned to that particular PC.

BUT, if you want you can swap the hard drives and reload Windows according to the PC

eg
PC 1 - Windows 2000 Pro; 60 GB Hard drive.
PC 2 - Windows XP; 20 GB hard drive.

Take the 60GB hard drive from PC1, stick it in PC 2 and reload with Windows XP. At the same time take the 20GB hard drive from PC 2, stick it in PC 1 and reload Windows 2000.

Theoretically the licenses are still valid for the PC's. The activation of
Windows XP PC should go through without a hitch as it is only the hard drive that was changed.

As for that pesky little Rescue Disk ... All that is used for is a restore point if something had to go wrong with your PC. It has all your settings as they were when the PC was loaded.

Quite a long story, but I hope it helps.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
brabham

Post by brabham »

Envinyatar, I think what she is saying is that she didn't get the original XP disk with the new PC. So now, how does she go about installing XP on the 60gb drive without the XP CD?

I wonder, would it be possible to ghost the rescue disc over onto the drive after its been formatted? If as you say it is actually a restore point it should work fine, no? I am so not sure about this... :?
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
jee

Post by jee »

Brab is right - I did not get the xp disk and I want to change xp to my bigger drive - so I need a clever person to tell me how to reload? I mean, I do own that licence, I've paid for it, and I will only use it on one computer. There must be a way - what do one do in a case where you have to format?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

:oops: Sorry :roll:

The other best option would be to ghost it over to the new disk, like brabham said
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
jee

Post by jee »

ok, next question - explain ghost - do I need software for it?
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Ghosting means to make an image of the drive and then copying that image over to the new drive and restoring that image onto the new drive. you can usually copy it by CD or even directly (if you move the drives over to the one PC)

Yes, you need software. Norton ghost is pretty cool and has a GUI. I'm not sure if you can ghost between drives of defferent sizes though.
jee

Post by jee »

Argh, I'm sure there is a conspiracy somewhere! Why can't nothing in life be easy and upfront. It makes me angry - cause its my stuff and I paid for it, yet I cannot use it like I want! Can't wait until I know enough Linux....
Dakes

Post by Dakes »

Someday we will all own macs :wink:
Brother Hiram, wish you were here!
Thanks Disruptor!
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Jee wrote:Can't wait until I know enough Linux....
True dat! 8)
Linux is da bomb
Dakes wrote:One day we will all own macs
Not while I'm at the head of the resistance. (and don't say that resistance is futile :wink: )
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Ghosting does work on disk's of diffirent sizes if and only if the destination disk has a bigger capacity than the source.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Hill

Post by Hill »

Hi jee this is what I would do.

Firstly I have a Compaq laptop at work that came with a resue disk. As far as I can tell most rescue disks only contain the drivers needed for the particular setup you have. Actually I may be incorrect, I just tried to check the disk (I happened to have it at home.) There is one large 380M file present and a few smaller ones.

But any way I am pretty sure that by ghosting the image from one machine to another may cause endless problems.

What I would do is try get a copy of the disk. Install it using your licence code. As far as I am concerened this is not the same as pirating as you have purchase a licence. Actually this may be a mild form of pirating (There's no way I am going to read the licence agreement just to find out.), but it is no different from ghosting the image across.

Ethically I would not have a problem doing it this way, as you have a licence and you are only going to use it on one machine.

On a slightly different note, I changed cases the other day. Everything else stayed the same. But my licence sticker for XP Home was on the old box. Luckily I was able to remove it carefully and put it on my new case. This really sucks though, what would have happened if I could not remove the sticker? My new 'PC' would have been illegal.

:roll:
Regards
Hill