Community Wireless Network in JHB

Network problem solving and tweaks
Daffy_Duc

Community Wireless Network in JHB

Post by Daffy_Duc »

Hey people...

I'm trying to encourage people to join JaWug (Johannesburg Area Wireless User Group).
Basically, we're a bunch of people that are trying to connect as many people to a citywide wireless network.

Note: NO INTERNET access will be sold or provided over these wireless links, dont join for the free internet, there isn't any.

At the moment we have 2 seperate networks, one in roodepoort with 2 nodes, and one in bruma/kensington with 6 nodes. We're looking for more members to expand this network.

Please visit NodeDB to have a look at the running/potential nodes in Johannesburg. If you have a GPS or know your GPS co-ordinates, please plot your house if you are interested in possibly becoming a member, even if you dont have any equipment.

We play games frequently, with pings around 30ms. We have an IRC server and most of the members never leave the chat rooms.

The JaWug website is still under construction, but please visit it and keep checking back to it for updates.

Come on people, Wireless equipment isn't too expensive these days... so if you have R1500-R2000 and you feel like trying something interesting, come join us.
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Sounds interesting - how about posting some info here on what hardware you would require, where to get the hardware and some info on setting it all up ?

I'm in the Craighall Park area - if I can get a setup for R1500 I'd be interested, but am wary of the obvious problems, such as line of sight etc. ?
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Well, I would be interested, but just saw you posted this a week ago and it's the only post you've made.

In addition, there are no contact details - not even on your site ?

Doesn't really help if people can't even get in touch with you via email.

Your site registration returns :-
Owner Registration
Please enter all your personal details below.
All fields are required.