*Project: Pnp - Second set

Post logs of your latest creation in here.
I34z1k

*Project: Pnp - Second set

Post by I34z1k »

I am gonna start posting stuff about my mod. I have like 8 pics that I wanna host but they come to 3megs :P :( So Any1 know of a SMALL and simple program I can get to optimize jpegs?

Thanks to W1k for helping me out

Shots of the case (Mostly thx to Mr Bean)

I am going to get rid of this cheap chrome job. Here are some pics of what I have done so far.

What I am working with atm.

My perspex all nice and cut

Rad looks sexy without the chrome.

If you haven't noticed, I am building some WC into a stacker :) Should hopefully be finished this weekend.
Last edited by I34z1k on 03 Feb 2007, 23:48, edited 2 times in total.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

can't you optimise the pics in Photoshop? I know you can in Paint Shop
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I have CS3. Its a beta so its teh ghei :(
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

mail me the pics and I'll do it for you.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Pics up. Thx W1k.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Uhm. One question. What's a Pnp?
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Pick n PAy. No name brand :P
psYChowIt

Post by psYChowIt »

cewl nice lookin case bro! ca't wait 4 updates keep it up!
kraven

Post by kraven »

ifranview works wonders
The Anime Society that\'ll influence the SA scene: http://www.genshiken.uct.ac.za
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: *Project: Pnp - First Pics Up

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I34z1k wrote:I am going to get rid of this cheap chrome job.
:?

How is that chrome job cheap? That chrome job is a damn good chrome job :?

Anyway, what's your plans/ideas for the mod so far?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
I34z1k

Re: *Project: Pnp - First Pics Up

Post by I34z1k »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
I34z1k wrote:I am going to get rid of this cheap chrome job.
:?

How is that chrome job cheap? That chrome job is a damn good chrome job :?

Anyway, what's your plans/ideas for the mod so far?
It had like bubbles and was pealing and was not smooth.

Ok plans, put everything together :P :D And a handle :P Should be finished in a few days.

And to get a new psu in a few days and sleeve it and stuff.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

So little intrest in my poor little mod. Will post more pics a tad later. HDD corrupt and my 250gig is with Syndicate so I am having LOADs of fun reinstalling everything.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Ok *UPDATE*

Couldn't get the WC ready for the lan today but this is what it looked like.

Painted the rad sides.

Put them on

This pic won't load

This one too

All together

And another

Will post more if wanted.
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

man that stacker is a huge case...

looking good so far Izik... :P
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Looking good dude! Keep the updates and pics coming. Its looking really good so far!

I dunno if if its just my n00biness but I think the sticker or whatever it is thats on your perspex is upside down..
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Thanks dudes :D It is :P. Notice the psu is at the bottom and the gfx is on top aswell :)
Prime

Post by Prime »

Looking good dude. keep it up
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I must say the black raddy looks really cool. But one question. Is the case upside down or is it a BTX conversion?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Is that a heatpipe on your mobo? Is your mobo upside down?

That's not good :(
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

DAE, pls explain why that not good...

Cause I see my uncle is also doing it with the A8N32 board and told him it not good, but couldn't really give reason...
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Is that a heatpipe on your mobo? Is your mobo upside down?

That's not good :(
Yea? Um why?

WiK1d wrote:I must say the black raddy looks really cool. But one question. Is the case upside down or is it a BTX conversion?
Thanks. Kinda, everything is just upside down.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Follow this link. I suggest you read it all so that you can understand how heatpipes work.

But here's the important part:
Vertical orientation required - In our simple model heat pipe, the working fluid simply drips back to the heat source. It is quite obvious that this design will only work in vertical orientation. To overcome this limitation, commercially available heat pipes do not rely on gravity alone to move the liquid back to the heat source; they take advantage of capillary action. The inside of the heat pipe tube is filled with a capillary structure, often referred to as wick.

Different structures are being used:

* The most simple structure is a grooved tube. Here, capillary action merely helps gravity; vertical orientation of the heat pipe is usually still required.
* Most commonly used, due to better capillary action, is a multilayered metal mesh.
* Sintered powder capillar structures allow the stronges capillar action, but are more expensive to manufacture. Even with this design, performance of the heat pipe still depends on the orientation, and upside-down operation usually still isn't possible.
Now, if the heat source is at the TOP, the whole process is screwed over.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

asus a8n32 tested in both configs w/compunurse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just finished building 2 systems with this board.i played with one on the bench for a week before i had to assemble it for the customer.I ran the board in standard mounting position and then upside down.i ran each in this position for 3 days each.
No fans at all blowing on the board.there was a 5c-7c degree difference in the temp of the chipset.i monitored the temps with compunurse.the probe was touching the core.in standard config temps were 39-42c idle and 46-51c loaded prime for 6 hours.upside down config idle temps were 42-44c and loaded 53-58 prime for 6 hours.the ambient temp in the room was right at 78 deg f.a/c in fla.blowing a fan on the motherboard made very little difference.so it seems like it makes a difference but not enough to destroy your board.i personally prefer the active cooling fans on these boards as i can always modify the heatsink and fan and get them to run nice and cool.all these o/clockers and modifiers cant stand a little fan noise and have to have silent boards,i dont understand it.look at dfi boards true o/clocking boards and you dont see heatpipes on them.there is a reason for it,cooler temps with active cooling and you may have a small amount of fan noise but you have to be pretty anal to complain of the amount of noise the fan makes when working properly.and when a fan goes out it takes very little effort to put on a replacement or modify an aftermarket one to work better than the oem one.my asus a8n-e o/clcoked with a modified cooler on the nf4 chipset never gets above 38c and runs normally at 33c ina 78f room.i like the foxconn sli 590 board and as hot as these nf5 systems run i wouldnt buy a heatpipe board.the new dfi 590 sli board looks nice.ill get one of those before the year is out.......
Sourece: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1089370

Reading up on it now. Well I will have to make a plan.

virtualrain [H]Lite

I've researched this for my heat-pipe based board and this is what I've learned...

First of all, if you do a bit of research on heat pipes, they simply contain distilled water which vaporizes from the heat and the idea is that the vapor goes to the cooler area, is cooled by the fins and the CPU fan back to liquid form and then flows back down to be recycled. Hence if you invert a heat pipe board, their will be no water on the south bridge or north bridge to vaporize and it will instead pool at the mosfet end of the pipe. This is obviously not going to keep your NB/SB cool.

So while a heat pipe doesn't depend on gravity for the vapor to move (it goes to the coolest area), the cooled vapor turns into water which must use gravity to find it's way back to the hot spot, since water does not travel up-hill, inverting a heat pipe will not work.

Having said that, although I don't have a link to it, I came across someone who has my board (simple NF4 NB only) and simply attached a water block to the flat surface of the heat pipe over top of the NF4 chip and was successful in cooling it that way... although this was still defeating the heat-pipe it was sufficient to cool his NB. This won't work with this board since it has both NB/SB and the NB is not a flat surface upon which you could simply mount a water block.

So, you will need to put water blocks on the NB/SB and remove the heat pipe. You can ignore the mosfets or put passive ram sinks on them if you are really concerned about heat there but since the heat pipe was actually transferring heat from the NB/SB to the mosfet area, I can't imagine they are affected much by high temperatures.

In fact on most heat pipe boards, only one bank of mosfets is covered by any kind of heat sink, the ones on the other side are left bare. Someone reported that feeling the mosfets under load indcated they were not that hot. At any rate, for my system, I'm going to put passive heat sinks on them just for the hell of it.

The Swiftech MCW30 may be a good choice for a NB/SB water block.

Good luck.
Edit.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Most interesting. so its just a thermo siphon system.